2,051 yard chuck pics

Thanks for the links there guys.

One other thing I need to correct was in the original post where I said that the Wild ranged the initial rockchuck at 1875 yards. It was actually 1875 meters.
Sorry for the typo.

Goodgrouper, thanks for the quick response. Well I did it, I ordered my rifle today and it will be built and completed by March 06. The caliber will be the 338 YOGI devloped by David Tooley. It is a 338 Lupa Improved. It will be built on a 8.5 BAT action, Tooley MBR stock with lead added green and black marble finish, 32" Kreiger barrel 1.400 at the Muzzel, Muzzel Brake, Jewell 2oz Trigger, Base and Rings with an additinal 65 "MOA", Custom Dies, ect. It will be topped with a Nightforce 12x42-56mm NXS. The rifle will weigh around 35 to 40lbs. Now I am looking for a good rangefinder to reach out and touch the mile mark. Any suggestions. I have had a couple people say that the swaro is the best. What do you think?

The Swaro will not hit the mile mark. It is a 1500 yard design and my friends model has read 1530 something.
While the optics are top notch, I found the aiming point vague and too large. Also, in the right light, you can see the elecrical orange tape that the shows the aiming point causing a orange reflection inside that looks like a computer chip inversed.

I still like the Leica 1200 best for the handhelds under 1000 dollars.

If you want a laser, consider the surveying range finders used by John Burns in Beyond Belief. They will go to 2500 meters accurately and a scope can be mounted on them for pinpoint aiming. Downside to those is the price. A cheap one if I remember right was $2,800!

THe best value and the one we use is the Wild Swiss made military rangefinder (it is the thing that looks like a bazooka in the photos) and it will go to 20,000 meters. Works like a charm with no batteries and has good enough optics that it can double as your spotting scope in a pinch.

Thanks, for the advice. My Dad is Surveyor and he has been informed of my needs and will be trying to locate one for me through his conections. Thanks!! Wildcat

Goodgrouper, I have another question regarding the amount of "MOA" I will need for 1 mile shooting. I am going to use a Nightforce 12x42-56mm NXS. With the 40 "MOA" added to my custom base and 25" MOA" to my rings, I will have around 110 usable"MOA" and it will shoot 12" high at 100 yards. I have a 5.5x22-56mm NXS which would give me 165 usable "MOA". However, I wanted the magnification 0f 12x42-56mm so I can see those little critters at the mile mark. Do you think 110 usable "MOA" is enough, I have been told by some that it is plenty, but I wanted some advice from somone who just shot a woodchuck at 2000+ yards. Thanks! Wildcat

110 MOA will be plenty.
The MOAG has 20 minutes in the base and 20 minutes in the rings which makes the 300 grain MK at 3000 fps hit spot on at 1500 yards. From there, we use anywhere between 20 and 30 more minutes to shoot further to 2k.

It is interesting that it takes almost as many minutes for the last 500 yards of travel from 1500 to 2000 as it does for the first 1500! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The Swaro will not hit the mile mark. It is a 1500 yard design and my friends model has read 1530 something.
While the optics are top notch, I found the aiming point vague and too large. Also, in the right light, you can see the elecrical orange tape that the shows the aiming point causing a orange reflection inside that looks like a computer chip inversed.

I still like the Leica 1200 best for the handhelds under 1000 dollars.

If you want a laser, consider the surveying range finders used by John Burns in Beyond Belief. They will go to 2500 meters accurately and a scope can be mounted on them for pinpoint aiming. Downside to those is the price. A cheap one if I remember right was $2,800!

THe best value and the one we use is the Wild Swiss made military rangefinder (it is the thing that looks like a bazooka in the photos) and it will go to 20,000 meters. Works like a charm with no batteries and has good enough optics that it can double as your spotting scope in a pinch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, thats funny -- a local shooter has had several 1900yd readings with his swaro to pine trees.

the new swaro will kill the leica 1200 all day long -- though i dont care for the funky aiming donut either, they WORK!

I think Ian had a post to this affect awhile back...

YMMV, FWIW...

JB

Last month, a friend and I were out in country that had no trees and the only thing to range was Barley and lava rocks. He had his new Swaro and me my 1200 Leica. I was not able to get any reading past 1215 with my Leica, but he couldn't get anything to read past 1530 with his Swaro. It was bright sunlight and both had a hard time on certain objects and certain angles. However, I had an easier time telling where I was ranging because the aim point is more precise in the Leica.

I do not see how the Swaro can kill the Leica all day long as you mention. Both were good sometimes and both needed help sometimes. The Swaro does have a better image (until you hit the laser button and all the orange crap appears in your view) but the Leica is very good and it costs much less.

If the chip inside the Swaro allows you to go out to 1900 yards, then that is great but my buddies would not go that far-not even when ranging a pine tree covered mountain behing us. We had to break out the WILD for anything over 1500 yards.

I do like that the Swaro is threaded for a tripod. That was a huge oops with the Leica engineers.

I love Swaro (I own thier 80mm spotter and some 10x42 SLC's) but I will not be trading in my Leica for the Swaro rangefinders I'm afraid. I just didn't see enough improvement in them over the Leica to take it in the shorts on a trade-in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yea, the orange crap was a little too much, but it definately has a better reach than the leica.

I was gonna dump my leica 800 for a 1200 but decided to wait and get a swaro. Seems the pattern around these parts.

Maybe if we hound them enough they will fix the aiming donut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if we hound them enough they will fix the aiming donut

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and while we're at it, lets get some lens covers that stay attached to the unit like their binos for crying out loud. I hate having $800 dollar glass just hanging out there unprotected just waiting to get scratched because they didn't want to give us a $15 piece of rubber!

The one i played with had the fitted hard belt case that held it securely -- i'd just keep it there when not in use, cause id get tired of forgetting the rubber caps were on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15$, hell more like $1.50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Could use an eyepiece cover for their spotter too (when in the body) i keep my at80 assembled and have a rigged cover for the ocular lens...guess i'll have to brake down and get a swaro fitted stay on case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JB

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I also took your advice about how much my 338 should weigh. I was originally going with a 8.5 BAT, Tooley MBR stock with lead added, and a 32" Kreiger, 1.400 at the Muzzel which would have put it at 35lbs. However, I called him back the next day and changed my rifle. I am now going with 10" BAT, Mcmillan 50 HBR with lead added to the rear, and a 36" Lija Barrel 1.750 at the muzzel with muzzel brake. The rifle will come in around 60 to 65 lbs. It's going to be big, but like you said it will be very stable when shooting at 2k. Any suggestions on a rest!!!! I will need to have one made.

wildcat,
"any suggestions on a rest!!!!" GOOD LUCK it took me over a month to design ,have parts fabricated and to assemble the MOAG REST. 90% is one of a kind. send me a couple hundred dollars start money and I'LL build you one by 2007.
B
p.s. at 65lbs with a brake you might get away with cinder blocks and sand bags for a rest.

I have found some sights that have rests available for a heavy rifle. I was just wondering if anybody knew a specific place to have one built. The sightI found was Coyote Jakes, it looked like they build quality stuff. If anybody knows a better place to have one made please let me know. My rifle will not be ready until March 2006, so I have time to have one built before it gets here. I shouldn't get too much recoil with the brake and the rifle weighing that much. It should shoot pretty smooth. I took the advice from Goodgrouper and went with a heavier rifle, 65lbs. The rifle was originally going to weigh 30 to 35 lbs. Any help would be great! I will be trying to shoot the California ground squirrel at 2k. As everybody knows the ground squirrel is much smaller than a pdog, woodchuck or groundhog, so I have my work cut out for me at this range. I hope someday I will accomplish a kill shot at 2k on a ground squirrel. Goodgrouper has given me the motivation to try and accomplish this. Thanks, Wildcat!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.