2,051 yard chuck pics

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> The pedestals are good, but don't hold the rifle against recoil and with a super long barrel (34" plus) this is a problem because the bullet hasn't left the barrel before the rifle recoils back. This results in vertical stringing often called "magnum shot". This effect was witnessed with the MOAG and it was actually quite severe. At 2k, one out of every 6 or 7 shots would go 2-3 minutes high for no other reason. So I would recommend a one piece rest with a recoil strap around the butt of the rifle or a muzzle brake or both. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a quick clarification. Muzzle brakes (MB) only affect the gun after the bullet has exited the barrel. MB work by re-vectoring the jet propulsion either neutral ( 90 deg ) or up to about 30 deg reward (subtracting 1/2 their thrust from the rear impulse). That's one reason MB don't help the optics system, they actual make things worse.

Good point about <font color="brown"> vertical stringing often called "magnum shot". </font> - awesome story - writeup and info. Congratulations again to you and your entire support system.

Your one piece rest is really cool looking. It looks like my Caldwell <font color="brown"> ROCK BR </font> will fit onto my Caldwell Lead Sled so I can get something similar (not as nice tho).

I think I want a 7mm Allen Uber Mag with a 48" pipe and I'll lite my artillery piece with that barrel burning VihtaVuori N 560. My computer simulations indicate with Richards new 300 gr. 7mm (BC 11.12345) and a MV of 7,893 FPS I can get more people upset than any other post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uncle BrianB - your rest is a work of art. I'll gladly send you a couple bills to get one on reserve. Maybe I should just send you my Caldwell stuff and have you modify them.

Wildcat - I really like your second choice in gun/Lilja barrel etc. I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 with NP-R2 (awesome illuminated reticle) and a NF 8-32x56 Benchrest with the NP-R2. I think the 8-32 is a much better choice than the 12x42 as it's rare you can really use anything past 32 power anyway. My 8-32 has 50 MOA advertised and slightly less usable (as all NF scopes). But the HUGE advantage is 1/8 MOA adjustments. At 2,000 yards, each click on a 1/4 MOA scope is 5" while it's only 2.5" on my BR.

With that heavy of a gun and you can probably get away with Burris Signature rings and rosin - but the new Burris Xtrem rings are much better (no MOA adjustment tho).

Very well done! I am proud to say I know you and was a small insignificant part of your quest. I did nothing for you, I helped in no way other than to be there during one of the days of frustration at not getting a hit, but joy in coming so close!
Outstanding job. Time to look hard at that 2,500 yard marker.
Again, I stand humbled in your presence.
Dave

b1g b0re,
I was actualy kidding about the price , but if you can wait until my slow season (dec. -Feb) I would be happy to help you for next to nothing (good guy discount).
check out a post here tomorrow
B.

[ QUOTE ]
Muzzle brakes (MB) only affect the gun after the bullet has exited the barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHile this is true, there is also compressed air that gets pushed ahead of the bullet that vents out the brake as well but more importantly, there is less overall motion to the gun when the MB is installed and what motion is there comes straight back instead of causing the muzzle to rise thereby avoiding the magnum effect.

All the rifles that I have fired past 1000 yards (which are a few more than a few) have exhibited much fewer vertical flyers if they had a muzzlebrake.

This is just my experience based on my own intrepretations of the shooting game.

After the Moag rest was built, it harnesed the Moag so much better by sheer weight counteraction that the vertical stringing was drastically reduced similiarly to what adding a MB would have done because it limited the amount of movement before and after the bullet left the barrel.

Good explanation. That's why I gave myself an out by saying one word of GoodGroupers experience is worth a thousand pages of my analysis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the detailed answer.

In a word...WOW!!! I can't help but think that this story is by all means something that magazines would want on their front cover. Keep on, Keeping on!!

Let's see, how did they put it...... the job aint neat until the paperworks complete!

The collection will look good on the reloading room wall I think.

2kcertificate.jpg

4certificates.jpg

GG. congrates!!!! They look great and very official. I just became a memeber of VHA this month and received my first back orders of The Varmint Hunter Mag. My quest has begone, I will be going for my 500 yrd certificate in about 3 to 4 weeks. It will be the first chance I will have to go shoot. I will be using my new 220 swift for this goal. I will let you know when I accomplish this task. Thanks for all the help! Wildcat.

GG. I am currently trying to find a good place to go varminting in Cali. I have a friend that gets us on a private ranch a couple of times a year. However, I need to start going every weekend. It is very hard to find a place to shoot in this state without either being run off or getting in trouble by the Fish and Game. However, when I am able to find a place to shoot, the varminting is great!!! There are tons of coyotes and squirrels year round and the squirrels are super thick from around March to June. I am currently looking for a place that will allow me to shoot a varmint out to the 2K mark. The ranch, that my friend gets me on, is about 35 miles long and is up around 2500 ft elevation and the varminting is incrediable. The last time I went to this spot was in May. We were shooting in an area that only allowed us to shoot out to around 300yrds. We set up under a tree and went to work. I was using my 223 700 short action/H-S varmint stock/shilien 25" 1,250 muzzel/Jewell 2oz trigger/Leupold 4.5-14-50mm LR Tacticle. We connected on about 300 squirrels between the two of us, with the longest hit of the day at 285 yrds and the shortest at around 25 yrds. I used 50grn V-MAX'S with a muzzel velocity around 3300fps. The V-MAX bullets do wonders on varmints. I told my friend that we need to get on this ranch more than a couple times a year. There are some great places on this ranch that will let us shoot out to the 2k mark. I informed my friend on what I am trying to accomplish, being apart of the 500-1000-1500-2000 yrd club, and he has decided that he wants to help in this mission. He is going to try and get us on the ranch some more this year. Like I mentioned before, I would love to do some chuck hunting in Utah, it looks like a blast. I will be going on a road trip, in May 06, to South Dakota to shoot pdogs. I really want to get into this sport, I love it. I have learned alot from this board and have especially enjoyed your stories. As soon as I make my 500 yard kill, I will put it on the board. How is the 2500 yard goal coming along. Thanks, Wildcat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.