177 grn Hammer Bullets

I've shot this combination in a lot of 28's but not with VV powder, if your stable with the 195 and it's staying forward IMO I'd see if the 177 will stay stable, with elevation and speed it really helps but stability can be a fragile thing so if you see a bullet turn hard or tumble, either one for that matter I would be very slow to blame a bullet make before dropping down a weight and seeing what I thought.
I had to have a two bullet solution with the 195, it's just too aggressive if you get into a closer situation, get out 800+ and they start shining!

Thank you for all your replies! Im going to stick with the Berger 195's. I didn't come on here asking if the 177 hammers would work in my gun! I ALREADY KNOW they will!! I come on here for a starting load and if a certain powder was to slow or not!!
Mr. Lindsey thank you for your help, and thank you for answering my question.

Darrin
Arrogance at its finest. Some of the most experienced people on here telling you to downsize. You just don't understand the point, next time come correct and listen to the people who know what they are talking about.

Arrogance at its finest. Some of the most experienced people on here telling you to downsize. You just don't understand the point, next time come correct and listen to the people who know what they are talking about.
Next time come and answer a question and not offer an opinion in which i have ALREADY done my homework and know!! I have been doing this a very long time.

Darrin

Thank you for all your replies! Im going to stick with the Berger 195's. I didn't come on here asking if the 177 hammers would work in my gun! I ALREADY KNOW they will!! I come on here for a starting load and if a certain powder was to slow or not!!
Mr. Lindsey thank you for your help, and thank you for answering my question.
Darrin
The guys on here actually know their stuff and are worth paying attention to, but it's a free country (mostly) and you can shoot what you will. But, in working with some of these guys, I know they have your best interest in mind with their caution. If you decide to try the 177's, it'd be interesting to hear your results fair and square.

As to the 195's... We still run the 180 Hybrid in the 7-LRM. It just shoots so good in that rifle I can't stand to mess with it. My son tried to take down a small deer with it that had been injured. Didn't get a good shot angle and had to take it from the rear on a straight-away before it disappeared into the brush. It didn't go far till it laid down, but a good bit later he found it alive and had to finish it off. Didn't penetrate to the vitals even on a small half year old deer.

I personally had a similar shot angle a couple days later on a mature doe but with the 6.5 MAX and the 123 Hammer. Punched the rear ham and came out tight behind the front shoulder on opposite side with impressive internal damage enroute. Much better penetration (terminal performance) than the larger 180 Hybrid.

Still using the Hybrids, but do feel a bit handicapped after seeing the performance differential.

The guys on here actually know their stuff and are worth paying attention to, but it's a free country (mostly) and you can shoot what you will. But, in working with some of these guys, I know they have your best interest in mind with their caution. If you decide to try the 177's, it'd be interesting to hear your results fair and square.

As to the 195's... We still run the 180 Hybrid in the 7-LRM. It just shoots so good in that rifle I can't stand to mess with it. My son tried to take down a small deer with it that had been injured. Didn't get a good shot angle and had to take it from the rear on a straight-away before it disappeared into the brush. It didn't go far till it laid down, but a good bit later he found it alive and had to finish it off. Didn't penetrate to the vitals even on a small half year old deer.

I personally had a similar shot angle a couple days later on a mature doe but with the 6.5 MAX and the 123 Hammer. Punched the rear ham and came out tight behind the front shoulder on opposite side with impressive internal damage enroute. Much better penetration (terminal performance) than the larger 180 Hybrid.

Still using the Hybrids, but do feel a bit handicapped after seeing the performance differential.
Northkill,
Thanks for the reply. I agree. Most are trying to help. Im gonna stick to what works extremely well in my rifle. The Berger 195's have tremendous terminal performance! Just devastating on game! Im gonna pick up some cutting edge mth's. Should be interesting!!

Darrin

Northkill,
Thanks for the reply. I agree. Most are trying to help. Im gonna stick to what works extremely well in my rifle. The Berger 195's have tremendous terminal performance! Just devastating on game! Im gonna pick up some cutting edge mth's. Should be interesting!!

Darrin
The CE's aren't the most reliable, but go with what works for you. I'll be glad for the reports. We all benefit from the honest experience of others...

Northkill,

Darrin
its worth a shot to give them a try IMO. the calculator may say they stabilize which I'm sure they will, but with that twist combination the bullet will probably start to de-stabilize around 500 yards. I noticed this testing the 143 HH in a 7RM with a 9.5 twist, it shot great at 100 yards under 1/2" with R23 but once i went to test groups at 500 i noticed they start parachuting through the target and at 600 they were tumbling. If you are dead set on wanting the 177 hammers give them a shot test the down range performance or your max effective range and see what they do.
Good luck my friend

Northkill,

Darrin
Ok 🤷‍♂️ I've never been so good at having things both ways. I'll keep trying - looks like it can be done. 😎🤠

Contradicting myself.jpg

Contradiction - Never too early or too late.jpg

Recent Posts