7mm Sherman Max and 177 Gr hammer hunter

Haven't tested them on any game yet but they check out in the accuracy department so far.

The only gripe that I can find about these bullets is since they lathe turn them, they use oil and that oil gets in the tip of the bullet. How did I find this out? I went to unseat some rounds I had loaded up from last time that would be too hot to shoot and while I was banging the bullet out with my kinetic bullet puller, the oil was being knocked out of the hollow point and into my bullet puller. Well when the bullet and powder came out, the oil got on the powder and it stuck to the bullet puller. Had to throw away the powder from 6 rounds. I couldn't figure it out at first but after thinking it was static, I found that the oil was coming out of the hollow point.

Other than that, these bullets seem to be very consistent and accurate.

Very nice shooting!

It would be interesting to see that load shot against a tenth grain on either side to see how big your window charge is.

I am very excited to see what the rl23 does. I have always used the cutting edge solid coppers but those hammers are very interesting great groups. I haven't built a barrel yet but I am going with a 28in carbon6 in bull profile. Do you think that lenght is overkill as I am trying to get the most velocity I can out of the 7mm Sherman max that I can.

I tried RL26 with the 177 Gr hammers and I didn't get great speeds with them before pressuring out. I switched to 168 Gr longrange accubonds and used RL23 and can get to just under 3200 FPS before pressuring out. My accuracy node is right around 3120 FPS.

I think I can guess but I will ask anyway. What twist rate are you using in your barrel? I just read an article that said a 1:8 twist 7mm barrel should only be used for competition not hunting bullets because the fast twist with lighter bullets 150-180gr produced 4moa or bigger groups that was also a 7mm practical not sure if that would effect anything https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

1:8 is fine for 195-180 grain bullets and if your wanting to shoot mono's it gives you more options. I don't shoot mono's and prefer a 1:8.5 because I think a 175-185 is about perfect bullet for 7 saum case.

How is your BC panning out from your long range testing? Building a standard 28 Sherman for my wife, and would like to use the 177 hammer for elk, but have heard bc on the hammer bullets sometimes doesn't pan out with estimated. Not sure why, but AB has their bc listed REALLY low compared to estimated on the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.