1500 yrd range finders

Jeff,

You tried the new Zeiss LRF yet in the field compared to the Leica CRF and your Swaro? All you need is the Zeiss now and you could be our authoritative source of information on the top three LRFs! :)

Jeff,

You tried the new Zeiss LRF yet in the field compared to the Leica CRF and your Swaro? All you need is the Zeiss now and you could be our authoritative source of information on the top three LRFs! :)

Well that was the plan, but, I had a delay. The move to MT. slowed me down a bit and funds have been a bit tight. But I have a good friend with a Zeiss in Wy. and we are hunting speed goats together in Oct. So I will get them all three together again then. I have only had one brief session with all three, and I didnt feel it was enough info to make an opinion. Also I am headed up to shoot with some guys this weekend and I believe we will have a Zeiss there. As soon as I have had enough field time to give an honest comparison, I will do it. If the zeiss shows to be better, I will own one too. Right now all I can tell you is, If you hold that little Leica rock solid it will impress you.

Jeff

If you want send me a PM and tell me what you'll take for it , then I'll send it back to swaro and have what I personally believe will be one of the best range finders for the money:)

BIGBUCK

The instruction manual for my Zeiss 8x26 T*PRF clearly states it is good for 1300 yrds, and it is.

I've tested mine quite a bit and it reaches 1300, but no more. If you want 1500, get the Swaro...,or one of the very expensive Vectronix.

Not to hijack the thread but - which model swarovski? Where is the best place to buy it?
Cabelas has a Swaro 8x30 for $999

That is the only one they make. $999 is the going rate for them. Buy it from opticsplanet.com and there's no shipping charge. Watch them on ebay and this site and you can find a used one for ~$700

For a LRF that ranges consistently out to and past 1500 yards I have to chalk up another vote for the swaro. This is the first time I had ever heard of a user NOT getting well over 1500 yards. I often hear of some getting a bit over 2000 yards. Mine stops at 1999 yards. Doesnt matter what the target. It will give me 1999 yards and after I step back one more yard, it reads err. It is advertised as a '1500' yard RF. In every experience and report except the 1st post in this thread they have all ranged farther than 1500 yards. Something else is a play here be it a bad unit or some unknown enviornmental factor in which case anything else will likely perform the same way.

Another tip,
keep your fingers away from the front lens of the rangefinder, it will read better that way.......:D:D
Don't laugh, my mate had problems getting his new rangefinder to read a distance until I noticed his fingers in the way. Man I laughed my guts out....:D:D

If you can get your hands on a 1200 CRF Leica to try, I would recommend it. I carry two RF's now, the swaro and the leica. More and more I am learning that my leica will get it done. On game past 1000 they both need morning or evening light. If you need to range 1500 or more on game, you need something different than these two. Last night I was ranging a rock at 1283 yards and the sun was still pretty high. Swaro would not touch it. Leica did about once every 3 to 5 tries. It was spot on too, nailed the 14" circle I have painted on it..gun)

One more thing I have learned, it makes a huge difference if you rest the RF on bags or a tripod. I just can't hold them steady at longer ranges without a rest.

Jeff

Broz (Jeff),
Only 3 possible explanations 1. there is something wrong with your Swaro, everyone that I have used or owned will come close to 1999yds and my leicas wont even come close.
2. Crack or some other substance involved.
3. What Topshot explained.
UB

Broz:

This is the Swaro that you sent back and they fixed, correct?

Although I have used two of the Swaros, Yes, This is the one that I returned and they fixed. They said it was fully tested and is in perfect working order now and at the top of their standards. I have ranged rock ledges with this RF right before dark out to 1999. Thats cool and all, but I only range rocks if I am playing around, or long distance practise. I draw my conclusions on these units from how well they will repeatedly range game in all conditions. Period. I have no favorites nor do I owe any favors to either or any of these companies. I could care less what the name brand is, I am just stating the truth. Unlike some who simply state "what ever I bought was best" I feel the Swaro will definatly record longer distances on objects, and at times ( ranging brown cows in mid day bright sun) I have seen the swaro go 200 yards farther that the leica. But guys there is much to consider here. Are you really ranging the game or the ground or objects near by? Remember the swaro has a larger beam devergence. Is that good?? Not for me.

Sorry if some are tired of hearing my results. But I put a lot of time in testing these in real life hunting applications. Why, only to know I am using what will give me the most accurate data. Just take a look at the difference 10 yards will make on the bullet path at 1000 plus. If I am going to take these shots, I really need to get an accurate range. Not a near by rock.

Over

Jeff

Broz (Jeff),
Only 3 possible explanations 1. there is something wrong with your Swaro, everyone that I have used or owned will come close to 1999yds and my leicas wont even come close.
2. Crack or some other substance involved.
3. What Topshot explained.
UB

UncleB, Sir I don't use illegal drugs of any kind. I am not sure where you live but if we are close maybe we could get together and do some testing. Only thing I ask is that we range game on flat ground. The reason for this is, these are the toughest conditions, but the best to prove which one will be ranging the game and not trees or rocks. I like trees and rocks, but I don't eat them, they hurt my teeth.

Jeff

UncleB, Sir I don't use illegal drugs of any kind. I am not sure where you live but if we are close maybe we could get together and do some testing. Only thing I ask is that we range game on flat ground. The reason for this is, these are the toughest conditions, but the best to prove which one will be ranging the game and not trees or rocks. I like trees and rocks, but I don't eat them, they hurt my teeth.

Jeff

Don't let uncleB get under your skin. He's been known to roll out of the wrong side of the bed every now and then. He's clearly reached his conclusions. Don't even know why he would bother to read this thread - since he 'KNOWS'.

I appreciate you sharing your findings. As with Michael, I have almost always ranged game against a hillside. So whether I ranged the game or the ground they stand on, same distance anyway. In those settings, the Swaro has walked away from the Leica 1200 Scan I used to own. But I've never used the Leica CRF in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.