Range finders

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Greg Duerr, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Greg Duerr

Greg Duerr Well-Known Member

Who makes a better Range Finder Leica or Vortex?

What makes one better than the other.......................

2. simpy16

simpy16 Well-Known Member

Leica Hands down!!!

I just upgraded to the Leica 1000-R for both archery and rifle hunting. The optical quality is far better than Vortex or Leupold. The Leica is a little longer but the Vortex is fatter, it does have the included clip but I store mine in a pouch for more protection anyway.

I didn't like the Vortex operation at all, it takes 3 presses of the button to get a reading and the accuracy of the Leica is much better to farther distances than the Vortex.

I also have a Leupold RX-1000 but was looking for one with angle compensation for archery. I looked at Vortex thinking it would be what I would go with but between the two I couldn't tell much difference, when I looked through the Leica it was no contest and I new instantly that is what I was going to get even though it costs a little more. The image quality is so good you can use the Leica as a 7x monocular if needed.

3. Greg Duerr

Greg Duerr Well-Known Member

I found a new in the Box Leica 1200..........................Its just that a friend of mine has told me that his Vortex is a hands down better Range finder than the Leica........................One thing about him is that he is very opinioniated.

4. simpy16

simpy16 Well-Known Member

I usually try not to be a total fanboy of something just because that is what I own but maybe I am.

I am not familiar enough with the 1200 to know how it might compare to the Vortex. I also know that there is a CRF and LRF model with the LRF being similar to the current Rangemaster 1000 and 1600 model.

I am fairly certain that the Vortex would have the angle compensation where that Leica model won't. If that is not a big thing for you then I wouldn't worry but if you need it you are going to have to look at a new model to get that feature.

Hope that helps!

5. bulldog284

bulldog284 New Member

i am in the market as well for a range finder and was wondering about the swarovski has any one tryed them out?

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

This has been covered many of times. Use the custom search (this is a very useful tool, take advantage of it) on the top right corner and Leica 1600/B will always come up on top for <$1K price range. I have range beyond 2100 yards with my 1600.

7. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

i am a vortex fan boy but i would pick the lieca when it comes to range finders.

8. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Leica hands down not even close. I feel Leopold and vortex are closer in performance both being below Leica. I'd be willing to bet your friend has never used a Leica.

9. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

+1. OP has been here plenty long enough to know how to use it. Lazy?