1500 yrd range finders

The KS doe I shot last year at 1137 yards was on a hillside. We were on top of one hill and she was 3/4 way up the next. I ranged her with my Swaro 8x30, dialed up and dumped her. Two days prior, we were looking at two monster WT bucks feeding in a picked corn field. Had the video camera running, Swaro ATS 80 HD on them. I was prone on a hard rock driveway on a level plane to the deer. I was ready to take the deer of a lifetime. The bigger one would go in the 190" class easy and I bet 200". No BS.... I was born and raised hunting Iowa WT. It was right before dark and these deer were just grazing on left over corn. I had the Swaro 8x30 on a tripod. It would not range the deer. I was getting readings from 950 to 1050. 1050 was the tree line behind them. I could not range the deer. But I could get the ground in front or the tree line. Never got the same reading twice. The larger beam devergence of the Swaro killed me. I would not take the shot...... Oh well... I would have felt worse if I gut shot it and it ran off at dark.

Anyway, since then I have been on a mission to find what works for me with in my budget. Ranging trees, bluffs, rock walls, houses, etc. thats all fun. But I am here to tell ya it don't mean crap when it comes time to make a one shot kill at 1000 plus. Wanna see how good your RF is?? Get on flat ground with only an animal in the path of the laser. Do it from a prone position and have it on a rock solid rest. That will tell ya what ya got. One more thing, when you are testing like this and cant get a reading. Move your point of aim slightly left, right, up, down..... and see if you can range it like that. These RF's are not all sighted in straight and you may need to hold off a bit. Learn what your RF is doing. Knowing may come in handy when you have a trophy in front of you. Oh, and just for fun if ya get a chance, try a Leica CRF. You won't be waiting on that silly circle flashing 3 times while you are holding your breath and trying not to move..:D

Happy Hunting!gun)

Jeff

Last edited:
Broz,
I know Len has already expressed his opinion once that even after having used a range finder that could range out past 2000 yds on larger objects, that expecting LRFs to consistently pick up and range deer or antelope size targets at extended ranges may simply be asking too much.

I tend to doubt you're going to get the Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss to pick up and range relatively small targets at 1000 plus yard distances with any consistency, based on Len's experiences with a range finder than would kick the but of any of the above brands, yet still wouldn't range deer-sized game in the 900 - 1000 yd range with any consistency.

I haven't ranged on the flat lands to any extent because the game I've been targeting for the past five years - since I've used laser rangefinders - live in the mountains. It sounds like you agree that the Swaro will handily out-range hillsides/mountainsides compared to the Leica. And you're just trying to figure out if the Leica or Zeiss will outrange the Swaro consistently, when ranging game in the flat lands.

Funny to hear you talk about mounting your LRF on a tripod. I've never placed any of my LRFs on a tripod yet at any time over the past 5 years. Just goes to show how different hunting terrain involves different methods. I typically never carry a full-size tripod where I backpack to hunt - not even to mount my spotting scope on. The weight and bulk would be excessive. No roads - very few anyhow - up here.

I suspect in some situations you'll either have to range the nearest treeline, tree, or bush nearest to the game, and then estimate the distance the animal is from the object. I used to do that with my Leica 1200 Scan, when it would poop out on me at 600 to 700 yds - on the mountainside at that.

I don't get stuck on brand loyalty. I've already moved through two prior brands of LRFs before settling on the Swaro - for the time being. Show me that the Leica or Zeiss will range better/farther, and I'll thank you and put my Swaro up for sale.

phorwath, I agree with you and like no perfect world there is no perfect LRF. I also will agree that the Swaro with its larger beam devergence (not always a good thing) will range longer distances most of the time, but not always. Now if we draw the line at 1200 yards. (That is my line on shooting game at this time.) So at 1200 or less on GAME the NEW leica will keep up with the Swaro and in a few instances win, providing it is rested solid. So lets call them close to even out to 1200. Now toss in that I like the smaller, easier to see reticle and display of the Lieca. Also the smaller size, lighter , and much much faster readings of the Leica and you don't have to almost pass out holding your breath waiting on that blinking circle like the Swaro. And not to mention the 2 to $300 lower price tag...... Well I say again Give the Leica 1200 CRF a good long look.

Bottom Line, They both do a good job but one may appeal more to someone due to reasons mentioned above. I just can't call it cut and dried that one is the best in all cases.

JMO

Jeff

Last edited:
I've read the thread in entirely. SO, which is the very best 1500 yard rangefinder???

Well, I just spent the last two days shooting from 600 out to 2900 yards. I took both my Swaro 8x30 laser guide and my Leica 1200 CRF. I will tell ya this. Both will get it done but out to 1200 yards on steel targets in bright sun, my Leica kicked my Swaros butt. AND!! I have whitnesses. So here is what I will tell ya.

For under $600 it's the Leica hands down. If you want to spend $850 the Swaro will record numbers past 1500 yards and has better glass. But I don't think the Swaro will do it more accuratly and for sure not as quickly as the Leica aaand I like the reticle of the Leica much better.

BUT, my buddy had an older Russian rangefinder there that was banging stuff out to like 28000 meters, that is right!! 28,000 :cool::cool:lightbulb

It smacked a 2900 yard target like most do at 100. That is one bad boy!!!

Jeff

BUT, my buddy had an older Russian rangefinder there that was banging stuff out to like 28000 meters, that is right!! 28,000 :cool::cool:lightbulb

It smacked a 2900 yard target like most do at 100. That is one bad boy!!!

Jeff

CRIKEY!!! What kind was it? Do you know?

CRIKEY!!! What kind was it? Do you know?

I can't tell ya cuz I can't read Russian. He got it from a friend and it is at least 15 years old. He and TRGRMAN were trying to research it on the computer. The owner is a member here, maybe he will jump in with added info. Al I can tell ya is it is bad ***. gun)

Swaro all the way. I can range with my swaro 1870yrd all day.
One advices before getting one. Go and try 3-4 units to a local store and get the best unit what ranges further. I did the same and ended up with the demo unit. All others units ranged between 1200-1500yards at the same point with the same battery(using the same battery to be consistent) and just the demo unit it was a WINNER. I never took off my hands from the unit to make sure they will not replaced with some lime units.

Picked up a Leica 1200 last Sat. I like it. In evening light (last 1 1/2 - 2 hrs of shooting light) it will range very well to over 1300. The farthest I've ranged with it so far is 1341. The 1341 range was a small juniper bush i ranged at about sunset. In bright day light It's good for about 900-1000 yds depnding on angle of light. I was using it at the range yesterday and hitting cars and trucks on the interstate at 1305 - 1335. i t ranged them very well - never missed if I hit the button at the right time.

One thing I learned is that 1300 yds is a loooong way. That's plenty far for me to be shooting for the time being.

-MR

Swaro all the way. I can range with my swaro 1870yrd all day.
One advices before getting one. Go and try 3-4 units to a local store and get the best unit what ranges further. I did the same and ended up with the demo unit. All others units ranged between 1200-1500yards at the same point with the same battery(using the same battery to be consistent) and just the demo unit it was a WINNER. I never took off my hands from the unit to make sure they will not replaced with some lime units.

May I ask the model Swaro that you are using. The ONE thing that I lack in my hunting arsenal is a good laser range finder, and that's one item that in the LR hunting world, you can't live without!!!

May I ask the model Swaro that you are using. The ONE thing that I lack in my hunting arsenal is a good laser range finder, and that's one item that in the LR hunting world, you can't live without!!!

Yes,
Swaro LG Class 1 laser Product (Made in Austria)

Broz:

Any idea what it cost? What does it look like?

See you tomorrow. We'll see how our Swaro's compare. My cousin had a hard time using it, but I think he wasn't able to keep it steady enough. He coudn't get it to work, while I could. No tripod tho!

I have a 1500 Swaro that I have ranged out to 2000 yds. I'm not sure what your climatic conditions are there, but it could be mist, dust etc in the air that can definitely mess you up......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.