Zeiss V4 reticle?

JDJHNTR

I'm looking to buy/try a V4 4-16x44 and can't decide on reticle. I'll be using this on CA Mesa 6.5PRC for whitetail and will be dialing for elevation. What reticle do you guys prefer on this scope given the intended use? Thanks

I have the ZMOA1 in my 6-24, I really like it and being in AZ, went without illumination.
My father thinks the ZMOA is "too busy" (becuase of the ticks along the crosshair) so he got the #20 Zplex reticle in his 4-16. The ticks on the ZMOA don't serve much purpose unless you're on full power.
We dial for everything too

Last edited:
I also have the ZMOA (without illumination) in my V4 6-24. I got it for a very good deal and this was the only reticle option at that price. I like my hunting reticles to be clean and much prefer the illuminated reticle 60 on my V8 2.8-20x56. The ZMOA is too busy for when I'm at the range and I find with the finicky parallax adjustment, that my eyes struggle to get a sharp image both on the target and reticle. After looking for a second or more, the reticle starts to take away the focus from the target which starts to blur. When hunting, it's much less of an issue and I like that I can dial elevation and hold for wind with this scope. However, if all prices had been similar I would have preferred a reticle 60 on the V4.

I also have the ZMOA (without illumination) in my V4 6-24. I got it for a very good deal and this was the only reticle option at that price. I like my hunting reticles to be clean and much prefer the illuminated reticle 60 on my V8 2.8-20x56. The ZMOA is too busy for when I'm at the range and I find with the finicky parallax adjustment, that my eyes struggle to get a sharp image both on the target and reticle. After looking for a second or more, the reticle starts to take away the focus from the target which starts to blur. When hunting, it's much less of an issue and I like that I can dial elevation and hold for wind with this scope. However, if all prices had been similar I would have preferred a reticle 60 on the V4.
Do you not think the #60 is too fine? I too like the looks of it on paper but saw a couple through the lens screen shots and it looked really fine to me?

Do you not think the #60 is too fine? I too like the looks of it on paper but saw a couple through the lens screen shots and it looked really fine to me?
It is quite fine but that's what my eyes seem to like. I wouldn't say it is too fine I also use the illumination quite often but I know of others that never use it. I've added a photo that I took through the scope of a young chamois buck.

IMG_20190804_094017_214.jpg

It is quite fine but that's what my eyes seem to like. I wouldn't say it is too fine I also use the illumination quite often but I know of others that never use it. I've added a photo that I took through the scope of a young chamois buck.

View attachment 261979
Excellent! Thank you for the through the lens shot! That helps tremendously. I'm assuming only the very center is illuminated?

That sells it for me on the #60!
One other question.
since there is only roughly an ounce difference in weight, do you prefer the 44 or 50mm? I've always used 50's abs up but thinking about the 44.

That sells it for me on the #60!
One other question.
since there is only roughly an ounce difference in weight, do you prefer the 44 or 50mm? I've always used 50's abs up but thinking about the 44.
That reticle is on a 56mm V8. On the V4 I have a 50mm. Here in New Zealand we can hunt until 30 mins after sunset so low light performance is very important. In general I wouldn't go below 50mm.

That reticle is on a 56mm V8. On the V4 I have a 50mm. Here in New Zealand we can hunt until 30 mins after sunset so low light performance is very important. In general I wouldn't go below 50mm.
That's what I was afraid you'd say! I can't find that reticle in a 50mm at a decent price. Found it in the 44

Have you had a look for a V6? I've seen a few deals here lately where old model V6 are around the same price as a V4.
I haven't been able to find a V6 under $1400. V4's at $900. Really didn't want to silent the extra $500

looks like they didn't offer the V4 4-16x50 with the #60 reticle so that explains why I can't find one! LOL

I have 2 V4's with a #60 reticle and another with a #20 and much prefer the #60. I hunt whitetail and dial for yardage. This is the perfect scope. Even if they made it in 50mm, I don't find the 44mm lacking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.