Zeiss V4 dislikes

handwerk

With some pretty good deals floating around I've looked at the V4 3-12x44 with Zplex with interest. For those of you that have had this scope what didn't you like about it or disappointed you?

I don't own this specific Zeiss, but have owned 3 others, to include the one I have on my hunting rifle right now. The glass is extremely good and the Zplex is a great hunting reticle. If you want to shoot 800+ yards, then look elsewhere. If you want a quality hunting scope up to 600 yards, then the quality is there for the price you pay right now. I'm not a fan of 44mm objective lens for hunting though...I've always gone for 50mm, 52mm or 56mm for more light gathering.

With some pretty good deals floating around I've looked at the V4 3-12x44 with Zplex with interest. For those of you that have had this scope what didn't you like about it or disappointed you?
I had a v4 4-16 and honestly was pretty disappointed.
The lower light contrast was pretty poor, my vx5hd was noticeably brighter and was much clearer in low light.
Plus it had tracking issues

That is good to know. Was thinking of getting a v4 for a new build.
Would like to hear if more people have had problems. They get good reviews.

I have a V4 4-16 and also was/am disappointed. The clarity and brightness of the glass are poor. I much prefer the Leupold VX6HDs that I have.

Honestly I don't have much for complaints. I really like the simplicity of my V4. I have the 4-16x44. I actually do like 44mm for hunting vs 50mm. I tend to like a little slimmer package though and I've got personal limit of 600 yards on critters but I have rung steel at 1000 with no problem. And I just took it on a 2 week torture test. Zeroed at home in CO drove 1500 miles to west Texas. Bounced all over in a UTV and ATV, chasing aoudad and javalina then 500 mile drive for more bouncing around in a utv killed a red sheep ewe and a Oryx in the hill country, drove 1000 miles and she's still zeroed. So it is proven reliable to me. Only complaint would be I wish the windage knob cover was aluminum instead of plastic.

Honestly I don't have much for complaints. I really like the simplicity of my V4. I have the 4-16x44. I actually do like 44mm for hunting vs 50mm. I tend to like a little slimmer package though and I've got personal limit of 600 yards on critters but I have rung steel at 1000 with no problem. And I just took it on a 2 week torture test. Zeroed at home in CO drove 1500 miles to west Texas. Bounced all over in a UTV and ATV, chasing aoudad and javalina then 500 mile drive for more bouncing around in a utv killed a red sheep ewe and a Oryx in the hill country, drove 1000 miles and she's still zeroed. So it is proven reliable to me. Only complaint would be I wish the windage knob cover was aluminum instead of plastic.
^^^^^Yes agree exactly my experience! Of course I sold the rifle I had it on to my nephew. It is sitting in the safe if interested PM me...

I have the 6-24 v4. However, I also have the HD5 predecessor and the glass in that is much better. Pretty disappointed in the V4 glass considering the price point was the same as the HD5. Seems they sacrificed on glass quality to add features.

I got the V4 for the long range hunting features the HD5 didn't have such as MOA reticle and more turret adjustment. I've run in up and down and all over and it is great. For all the demo deals on the Zeiss products out there, its hard not to pass one up. If I was going to drop $1200+ on a scope I would look elsewhere or at the V6 demos.

I liked mine for the demo price I paid. I've never compared it to a vx6 but those seem to come in at double what I paid so seems to not really be fair. I had no issues seeing until after legal shooting light, but I wasn't woods hunting.

I agree, the V4 I have is a 50mm and it is almost like night vision. I can see 10 to 15 min past shooting light on a partially cloudy day. Fantastic in that respect. The contrast just isn't as good as the HD5. Also, the HD5 during the day handles mirage much better than the V4. I guess I'm saying that when being picky, the V4 glass isn't head and shoulders above most $800 scopes I've looked through like the HD5 was.

Love the V4 4-
I agree, the V4 I have is a 50mm and it is almost like night vision. I can see 10 to 15 min past shooting light on a partially cloudy day. Fantastic in that respect. The contrast just isn't as good as the HD5. Also, the HD5 during the day handles mirage much better than the V4. I guess I'm saying that when being picky, the V4 glass isn't head and shoulders above most $800 scopes I've looked through like the HD5 was.
Love the V4 4-16x44. Sits on a custom 7-08. Replaced a Leupold VX 6HD. Extremely well built and has been spot on tracking. Vast majority of reviews are positive on this Zeiss scope.

Does Zeiss' "no fault warranty" cover all models to the original owner only ? Or is it the high end models like the Victory line ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts