Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
What is the secret to getting out to those ranges guys? I've just begun shooting my old Mathews Z-Max (55 lbs.) with carbons (used aluminums before), and am trying to increase my range on prairie dogs. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to get as far out with as much consistency as i can on these small tgts....?

Last edited:
Speed definatley helps!!! Practice at your max effective range and when you feel comortable then move back onther 10 yards!!! And continue this till you get to where youir sight pins run out of elevation.

Using a large target area for sighting definatley helps. Once comfortable shooting at the longer ranges then start to reduce taget (aiming point ) size.

Be prepared to loose a few arrows!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Later
Paul

What is the secret to getting out to those ranges guys? I've just begun shooting my old Mathews Z-Max (55 lbs.) with carbons (used aluminums before), and am trying to increase my range on prairie dogs. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to get as far out with as much consistency as i can on these small tgts....?

New here so Hi all.
I think a rangefinder, and a moveable sight are important. Speed can sure help, and I can see why APApro shoots what he does but I like a skinny med/heavy arrow. I always use my rangefinder and Practice at as far as possible is as well.
As to the ?, I took a mule deer in texas at 103. Oddly I practice on a mule deer 3D set at 103 all year, it sits beside/behind the 100yrd bag I practice on daily. So I had a small mark for 103 as my sight tape then stopped at 100 yrds.
He had no clue I was there, I can't say why, but felt very confident, I know I ve passed many many shots 1/3rd the distance, it just felt right I had lotsa time to read his mood, I likely could have got 5 yrds closer, but....he only ran maybe 80-90 yrds.

shoot lots of field rounds. this helps with your endurance as well as your ability to shoot up and down hill. the biggest reason is that when you shoot at known distances it takes away the unknown and your only reasons for misses are you and the tune of your bow. when you start to eliminate variables it becomes much easier to get you and your bow dialed in together. shooting know distances and keeping track of where your misses are will tell you so much about the tune of your bow as well as what you are doing as a shooter. so work hard shoot alot and keep track of where your misses are and keep track of every change you make to your equiptment and the effect that change has no matter how small of a change. hope this helps.
John

My 2006 Mule deer was lasered at 67 yds.

My 2009 Pronghorn Antelope was lasered at 48 yds.

A very good friend of mine harvested a small bull moose in 2006 with his bow at a lasered distance of 122 yds...

Lets say we practice religiously at 100 + yds with our bows just so the closer distances seem really basic.

My friend never intended to hunt at that distance but the opportunity presented itself, lone bull, no wind, early in the afternoon...the arrow made a clean pass through both lungs, he was dead on his hooves.

Take care

Last edited:
62 yards on the ground wearing a woodlnad guillt suit this past early bow season. Shot her with my new Excalibur Exocet 200, smoked her. This thing shot the arrow completely through her and I never found it. She ran 30 yeards and die. Is was GREAT!!!

Varmint Hunter, Like BBob said those are the same guys, I used to shoot archery w/one now he holds 1000 yrd bench records, anothr friend of mine was a pro archer and shot at Worlds IBO. These boys have 370 bulls and 30" muleys on the wall. I'm not in their league, but have taken 30+ archery animals in last ten yrs. out to 65 yrds.Flip side my son and I shot 5 animals at 500-600 yrds this fall, he is 14 teen. MY longest bull 756 , w/340 WM, closest 8 yrd. My main hunting buddy shoots 6-9 @ 100 archey

This year - cow Elk @ 75yards.
80# Bowtech Guardian.
Standing broadside shot.
Rage broadhead - cut one rib and pierced half-way through the heart.
Cow went about 40 yards.

I don't have the longest, but I bet I am definitely in the running for the closest! I was getting sleepy in my tree stand about 0930 and decided to walk over to the adjacent corn field and see if I could make something happen other than me falling out of my stand. I started criss crossing the rows. The wind was gusty and if I timed my movements right the wind would mask my noise pretty good. I would lean into a row with my $10 tasco mini bino's and take a peek down that row. If all was clear I would step into it. After a while, I peeked into a row and saw a pretty nice looking 4x4 laying down about 35yds from me. I backed out a half dozen rows and started making a plan. I would move even slower and try to close the distance. I moved a couple rows back closer and started towards him. It was taking for ever because I'd have to wait for a good gust of wind and then move a little bit. Pretty soon, a gust of wind dropped off and I could hear him coming towards me. I just stood still and started wondering what the hell to do if he was too many rows over for a shot. I drew back and waited anyway. All of a sudden here he came, one row over! When he got directly next to me, he seen me and i let go! Time of flight must have been nearly instant since the distance was one row of corn (30" row food plot). The arrow went directly thru his heart and he pumped out in about 40 feet and crashed. My camo pattern was Carhart tan. (Literally... Carharts)

Well i have heard lots of stories now time for some pictures. lol I shot this little buck in 2008 with my PSE X FORCE at 88 yards he ran about 80 yards before falling over. You can see the exit wound the entrance was high just behind the other sholder. He was quartering away and never even knew what happened. G5 Tekken tore completly through him. Like the others have said you MUST practice at rediculas ranges over and over then the situation still has to be perfect. You cant just shoot at every deer that comes by at 80 yards.

013_13.jpg

018_18.jpg

This is not the longest groundhog kill with my bow but i dont have a pic of my longest one. It is 42 yards. But i was proud of this one anyway

SN850667.jpg

Last edited: