Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
I bow hunt too, but beyond 50 yards is pushing it. I have more respect for the animal, and have to be truly sure of my shot than to loose an arrow beyond that. I felt very sick when I hit a woodchuck back east when I was a teen, and have it run into a hole to die. I take lead from the military snipers, one shot- one kill. As for 800 yard rifle shots, I would never attempt it, no matter what the conditions. If you miss your aim point, break a leg, belly shot, what do you do for a follow up shot. I passed up many a whitetail because the setup was not right. I know you guys practice probably far more than I do, but there is that little branch you don't see, or that unexpected gust of wind.
My point of view. Sunshinegirl, age- old enough to collect SS

41 yards on a huge cow elk that was perfectly calm, no wind, Hoyt Defiance at 84lbs. shooting AFC Carbons at 640 grains and 125 thunderheads, 284 fps. She ran about 20 yards and fell over dead.

Now I don't advocate taking extreme long shots with a bow but I have done it and I do practice. Last year was 65 yrds, year before was 95 yrds. When I practice I shoot only broadheads and can put 80% in a 9" plate(100 yds). You may think you you'll have to clean your boots after reading this, be that as it may, there's not much difference between long range bow and long range rifle.

Now I don't advocate taking extreme long shots with a bow but I have done it and I do practice. Last year was 65 yrds, year before was 95 yrds. When I practice I shoot only broadheads and can put 80% in a 9" plate(100 yds). You may think you you'll have to clean your boots after reading this, be that as it may, there's not much difference between long range bow and long range rifle.

6pt5,

Im with you on this on, I will be the first to say that I dont nor have I shot archery. But I do believe WHOLEHEARTEDLY that if done with the passion some of these peole do things anythings possible. I have personally watched my son and nephew put all thier arrows into 8" paper plates up to and beyond a 100 yds, these guys practiced LITERALLY from morning to night there were times where I had to threaten him with bodily harm to get him to come inside. I know some will call BS and honestly that is fine but I think if they saw these 2 practice they would blow thier mind with the dedication and commitment that they put into it. It got to the point where they would hardly shoot inside of 50 yds due to to much arrow damage. They would literally stack thier arrows on each other. The most impressive part to me was they only shot recurve and longbow they never really liked shooting compound. I think they were too into Howard Hill,Fred Bear etc and they just loved the flow and freedom of shooting instinctive.

Unfortunately, my son got into an accident that shattered his left elbow which kept him from shooting for years and he also tore his rotator cuff in his right shoulder that pretty much sidelined him from shooting bow. Although the fire burns in his heart to still shoot, it has been very trying for him.

After seeing these 2 shoot (Of course apart from the true greats like Howard Hill etc) I will never again doubt what can be done with a bow an arrow and dedication to becoming the best you can be with the weapon you choose. I honestly dont know what his farthest kill was but I do know it was way out there.

My hats off to those of you who put in the time and dedication to be awesomely proficient with a stick and string!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theres no way in hell I would shoot at a full grown bull elk past 40-50 yards with a bow. Deer sure why not if your accurate. The last thing I want to see is a nice 6x bull take off arrow half way sticking out of it. There to powerful with to much adrenaline.

You guys gotta come hunt Coues Deer, spot and stalk. People do get close shots, but they are usually in blinds. We've got a lot of guys out here that longer shots are the norm. We practice a great deal. I especially like to practice in the wind. Its no different than shooting rifles long range. You have to practice in all conditions. If you are willing to hunt and shoot in the rain, you must practice in those conditions.

I shot a mule deer last season at 90 lasered yards. hit it high (backbone) but killed it nonetheless. 1st shot. Modern bows are great!

Buck at exactly 60 yards (lasered) last year with my Parker (300 fps IBO) and Montec G5 (100 gr). Complete pass-through the rib cage and he dropped in 30 yards.

He wasn't looking at me and didn't even know I was there. IMO long shots like these aren't ethical if the animal has you busted on any one of the three senses (sight, sound, smell) cause they'll jump the string.

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.

It is possible. At that range bow noises tend to fade into the rest of the background sounds. Landing or missed arrows can seem slightly bewildering, but not necessarily threatening. Its not an ideal range, but it is plausible. Where it seems like total baloney, or just cruelty is someone doing that with an old 45lb. recurve where the trajectory becomes so steep you might as well try for a spine shot. Ive read those old howard hill accounts where he nailed game at nutty ranges, firing a miss , then correcting.... that was wrong. He had he talent, he sure as heck didnt have the bow.

Pete

When comparing long range bow to rifle shots I like two think of it in terms of time of flight. An arrow out of a bow can travel about 90-100 yards in 1 second. A bullet out of a gun can travel around 800-900 yards in 1 second, so I would consider making a 100 yard bow shot on an animal about as difficult as making a 900 yard rifle shot. I would take either shot as long as the conditions were right. If fact, I would shoot much farther than those yardages mentioned.