Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
I wont pretend to know a darn thing about bowhunting because I don't. So thats why I asked one of my customers why so many bow hunters I know seem to think 40 yards is such a long shot. This customer happened to be on the Browning archery team at one time and appeared on magazine covers from time to time and shot with Ted Nuget as well. He said that longer shots than that were not only achieveable but quite reasonable. He then recounted that in competition they would commonly have to shoot 13 or 14 arrows and hit a 3 inch bull at 100 yards. He said that if you dropped a single shot out of the bull you would be out of the running to win the competition. It then seems reasonable that if a practised archer can hit a 3 inch target at 100 yards with a comp bow they can hit the heart/lung area on a deer at 100 yards.

Mechanicaly I think its totally doable to get the vital zone of a deer in calm air and not having been "busted" by the deers senses. HAving said that, a lot of long range shots on white tails have less to do with arrow accuracy than with its hyper active tendency to jump the string. The animal has to be relaxed - better yet, head down and foraging. Struttung around with the ears perked up is an invitation for disaster with longer ranges.

You have to read the animal as much as be able to aim straight. I agree with you however, with todays modern compounds the 40 yard limit is myth drawn up by the point-blank crowd and shooters accustomed to shooting in dense new england forests where you need a bible in one hand and the spirit of fred bear in the other to find an actual clean shooting lane for 40 yards in thick brush.

Under the right conditions though, I believe a 100 yard shot is doable - and not 1 in 1000... but an archer 'has to know the variables at hand.

Pete

My longest kill was at a lasered 60 yds. It was late season and the deer were coming out to feed in a spot where a closer shot was not possible. I practiced at 60 yds for a couple of weeks with very good accuracy and waited until the deer was exactly 60 yds broadside feeding. Other than that, my longest kill was 42 yds and one at 40 yds. There is something to the statement that deer at longer ranges react less to the sound of the bow because at 50+ yards they may not hear it at all.

Hey Guys:

New to the site and thought I would add my 2 cents!!!!

My longest kill was a Mule deer doe at 91 yards, measured with a laser range finder and witnessed by a buddy of mine!! The arrow passed through and stuck into the hill about 5 inches!!!

I shoot an APA bow set at 84 lbs, a 391 gr Carbontech arrow with 100 G5 Tekan. I run about 357 fps, and I am always practicing at the longer yardages, The max range I have practiced at is 125 yards and it definatly takes a lot of concentration and practice to get any kind of groups!!!!

Looks Like a lot of guys are pretty decent shots and are shooting good equipment!!

Later
apapro

My longest deer kill......53 Lasered yds
My longest Antelope kill......49 Lasered yds
My longest and only elk kill.....7 yds.

Plenty of much shorter kills.....the way I prefer it.

Up until a couple years ago my longest archery kill was only 15 yards max. But I shot a doe two years ago at 37 yards, even have it on film. Still thats the only shot over 15 yards I've tried, too thick of timber, and the darn things never stop in my shooting lanes.

apapro,

That setup is super quick. As a suggestion, you might want to shoot a heavier arrow. This is going to do a few things.

1. A heavier arrow is going to retain much more energy at longer yardage.
  2. The bow won't be so critical to shoot, giving you much better groups at longer range.
  3. The bow will be more efficient and more than likely produce more kinetic energy.
Shooting a 125 yds with that setup is definitely a feat. My hats off to you.

Mike

Holy Kinetic Energy batman!

That's sounds like a smoking LR Archery setup. APA's stuff has always interested me.

Hey Guys:

New to the site and thought I would add my 2 cents!!!!

My longest kill was a Mule deer doe at 91 yards, measured with a laser range finder and witnessed by a buddy of mine!! The arrow passed through and stuck into the hill about 5 inches!!!

I shoot an APA bow set at 84 lbs, a 391 gr Carbontech arrow with 100 G5 Tekan. I run about 357 fps, and I am always practicing at the longer yardages, The max range I have practiced at is 125 yards and it definatly takes a lot of concentration and practice to get any kind of groups!!!!

Looks Like a lot of guys are pretty decent shots and are shooting good equipment!!

Later
apapro

Back in the 1970's (last centery) practiced every day at least 2 hrs. per. day. Used Dual image RangeFinder to range 8 pt. at 73 yrds. Had just untied my 92 lb. Pearson Flame after getting down from tree when it must have busted me and ran out into an open field instead of coming down along the river bank. Since tree limbs blocked my shot I had to shoot while on my knees. Arrow looked like it went 3 ft. over its back, but dropped right down in the boiler room! Still remember that sound like a pumkin being hit as the Gold Tip w/RazorBack 5 smacked home!Some shots are still fun to remember even after 30 yrs.!! In my early yrs. I could hit a plastic cup every time at 60 yrds .At 54 I still bring home venison, shotgun and archery every year so far.

Yesterday....

Killed a 2 litre milk container
Shooting a Bowtech '08 Guardian set at 80# with a 400gr arrow.
Spott-Hog sight (with a few extra pins)
Laser ranged at 140 yards - one shot.
A bit of luck - likely; The Bowtech might do it 3/10 shots.

Not something I would try on an animal!

well i havent killed any big game with my bow yet. i just started last year and got real close.... hopefully this will be my year. ive gotten a rabbit at 40yrds though. that would have to be my longest archery small game kill.

bigmo101:

I intentionally shoot the lighter arrows!!! I do all the R&D for APA. I run the new prototypes to the max. when you don't have to worry about warranty and part replacement this is not an issue!!!

I will be testing one of the new bows this fall, and it will be ALOT quicker than the current bow I am shooting right now!!!!

As for accuracy, I constantly keep 5 arrows in the "pie plate" at 125 yards. I have had a few guys tell me that they can't do that good with their "old bush "guns in the off hand shooting position!!!

KE is around 110 lb/ft and the new stuff I am testing will run in the neighborhood of 115-120 lb/ft of KE!!!!!

I shoot a BowTech Allegiance set at 72 lbs and am shooting around 309 fps. I had a November elk hunt that my son came with me on and we sat on this large tank in a ground blind on one side of it. We had a bull come down to the water and go clear into the tank to where his belly was in the water. My son ranged him at 71 yards and since I practive a lot out to 100 yards, 70 felt like a chip shot. He was perfectly broadside and his head was down drinking. I shot him and had a complete pass through. He came up out of the water and just stood there on the bank facing the opposite direction. You could see the exit hole and the blood spot getting bigger by the second. He didn't go far and my son got to see the whole thing.

Rod