Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

3 years ago I went to a new spot at game lands 130. I'm in pa. I hung the climber on a tree near a little ridgeline Just off the creek. Not a natural feature, probably a leavings pile from mining a long time ago. It was 0ctober 30th. I climbed up to the first branches, about 10' is all, and blasted a few roars on the grunt tube and shook the tree as hard as I could, then shut up. 5 minutes I hear him ripping and snortin on the other side of that hill. 1 minute later hes standing on it, eye level, at maybe 10 feet away, looking below me for the ***** that made all the noise. I drew and threw like you do with a recurve, open eyed, never hit the stops. Actually measured it with a tape measure. His shoulder was 11'4" from the grip of my bow.

blessed With a wife who shares a bit in my ridiculous habits so I don't usually get in the pic :D
20191126_100257.jpg

Last edited:
Huge bodied small racked 6p at 18-20 feet below my stand.
FBBH did terrible damage to one lung and passed through the other and he still went about 80 yards.

Now you talk about hunter skills.... and the wind being tight....
WOW...!!!
With all of the misses and blunders in my hunting portfolio, I think "hunter skills" would easily be questioned! lol.

I cow called him in from about 80 yards - the wind was pretty much dead calm. Another second and I'm sure my emanating scent would have spooked him off though. What was really amazing to me is how he was able to pin point and walk directly to where the "cow call" came from.

10 yards hiding behind a bodarc tree-I was young and new to bow hunting-my first good whitetail buck! Took me about 1hr and a 1/2 to find in the dark-he had dropped about 120 yards away but as I said I was kind of new-went back the next am to see what happened and there was a small but somewhat decent blood trail I just missed-learned a lot on that deal!

5 yards on the ground frontal shot on whitetail buck. Arrow blew completely through the deer end to end which really surprised me.

Had a bull moose at 6 feet last year in a cornfield. Unfortunately he winded me before his vitals were exposed. That was interesting as he was grunting like crazy and all charged up.