Win model 70 question

I would chamber it with a long throated 6.5 creedmore for 156 gr berger EOL bullet. That would match your bolt face. You should be able to get 2500 fps velocity. I don't have a 6.5 creed but you may want to reach out to Bean since he seems to be the new 6.5 creed guru on this sight. (-:
Really.gif

It will work just fine. You CAN make up a spacer for the rear of the mag box so the cartridge sits a little forward, this is what the factory did, but you have to change the follower and spring to suit, sometimes the bolt stop will need lengthening, but not on all rifles.

Cheers.

You're referring to the 7mm-08 right?

I would chamber it with a long throated 6.5 creedmore for 156 gr berger EOL bullet. That would match your bolt face. You should be able to get 2500 fps velocity. I don't have a 6.5 creed but you may want to reach out to Bean since he seems to be the new 6.5 creed guru on this sight. (-:

I like the 6.5-06 for the 6.5s. It's middle of the road speed wise and love the fact brass is readily made from its little/older brother. Actually bought it off this site....it's a 700 action with a Brux #4 barrel. Little heavy but it's a pussycat to shoot and easy to load for.

The modification depends on the particular generation of Model 70. The pre-64's and post-64's, until the introduction of a dedicated short action receiver, the Model 70 used one receiver size, and accommodated different cartridge lengths(of the same case head size) by using various bolt stop lengths, and magazine blocks. With an unmodified 30-06 action on the early(or even more current) Model 70 generations you could most easily accommodate any of the 30-06 parent cased/receiver (ie 280/AI, 25-06, 6.5-06 etc), as well as the 284 Winchester based cartridges(ie 6.5x284N). With the pre-64 style actions/magazines, going to a shorter cased(ie.308,243, 7mm-08, etc) of the same bolt head size as the 30-06 parent case, would require the specified bolt stop, and magazine block which can be changed/installed.,..If you already have, or can find these parts

Can you take a standard action (30-06) and rebarrel to a short action caliber with a short action bolt? Or does the receiver/magazine need altered?

Back story: I've got all pre 64 parts to put together a rifle. It's a 30-06 and I already have 3 so I'm in search of another caliber to rebarrel this too. 7mm 08 anyone?
I'm a little less certain about pre-64, but…

In general, Win 70 has 1 action size..(yes, I know they made the modern short action crf WSM actions, but….) so, a short action caliber or med action are a long action with a longer bolt stop timed to a mag box with spacer and shorter follower. These parts are somewhat available.

If it were me, before monkeying around with all that, I would put some 7mm-08 in your rifle and see if it feeds. I'll bet it does. Then just rebarrel and go. You will be able to run longer rounds! Some people find that good.

A straight 280 Rem would function wonderfully in that 06 action and it can be loaded to 7-08 performance or pressured up to where it's not lacking a 280 AI much. Might be worth consideration.
Good luck with your decision.

I had two pre-64 Model 70s, 30.06 & .308 (featherweight). They used the same length receiver, but the bolt stroke on the .308 was appropriately limited (shortened). Sold both (to raise house buying $), wish I'd kept the .308 -- sweet rifle. I now have a newer (2014) Model 70 in .270 WSM.
I prefer the controlled-feed large claw extractor.

Have you given any thought to a 6.5-280 ackley I built one awhile back and have been very impressed with its performance about equal to the 6.5 prc

I was trying not to make any more comments. If I am correct, with the 30.06 bolt, you have close to 30 caliber choices. Which one you choose will determine how much modification you will need to do
Magazine spacer or not....some prefer to keep the magazine to allow for longer bullets
If you use a magazine spacer, you will need new spring and follower. Those might be hard to find
Ejector. If you go shorter, I don't know if it is necessary or not. @MagnumManiac can answer this

Can you take a standard action (30-06) and rebarrel to a short action caliber with a short action bolt? Or does the receiver/magazine need altered?

Back story: I've got all pre 64 parts to put together a rifle. It's a 30-06 and I already have 3 so I'm in search of another caliber to rebarrel this too. 7mm 08 anyone?
I have two custom rifles built on Winchester Pre-64 actions. All Pre-64 actions are the same length and all bolts are the same length. Winchester altered magazine boxes, followers and feed ramps for the two H&H magnums; and did use fillers and shorter followers for the .308 length cartridges. Having said all of this my two customs are a .243 and a .308. No alterations to the actions, magazine boxes or followers were needed. I shot both rifles in NRA competition, including rapid fire from the magazines. I never had a glitch in feeding. You load the cartridges to the BACK of the magazine, not to the front. So, you can feel confident choosing any caliber you like that uses the "standard" 30-06 head diameter. For cases with larger diameters, and / or larger head diameters, significant alterations will be needed. -Ed

I actually did take a model 70 with a shot out barrel and had it re-barreled to 7.62 MM (not .308) There were no adjustments needed, the long action bolt and magazine worked just as good with the 7.62 as they did with the 30-06. That rifle won a lot of 600 yard NRA matches and despite it's 12 pound weight caused a lot of deer to become venison steaks and sausage. It really liked the Nosler 168 gr and Sierra 168 grain match. I used 165 gr Nosler partitions when hunting. There was no change of zero. I will however say that all changes to a rifle may be as successful as this one was.

The Winchester model 670 (cheaper version of the model 70 post-64 PF) used the same action for .243 and 30/06. It was accomplished with a different bolt stop, follower, and magazine box. I've taken the bolt from my .243 670 and installed it in my post-64 push feed model 70 Long Action .270 with no issues.