win. model 70 stock question

vendetta333

if i am looking for a replacement stock for a NEW model 70 with the current production PRE `64 style SHORT action what type of stocks will work. i keep finding post 64 long and short action stocks and pre 64 long action stocks. which will fit? thanx guys

It wasn't always the case but replacing the stock on a new stye Model 70 is now more complicated. A few years back, the Model 70 became available with a one piece floor plate. Traditionally, the Model 70's had two piece design with a separate trigger and plate with a center action screw that secured the front of the trigger section. When ordering or buying a replacement stock, you have to know this or the stock won't fit. Also, stocks for pre and post 64 are different. Even if they have the same trigger/floor plate design. A few years back I had difficulty buying a replacement for my current design 270WSM, one piece floor plate. Most of the stock manufacturers had 2 piece only. I ended up ordering a McMillan, who did have that design. I wish people selling Model 70 stocks would specify the year and style. Many don't understand the differences, so buyer beware.

thanx for the info, but which stock will fit the current production short action with the pre 64 style claw and such?

thanx for the info, but which stock will fit the current production short action with the pre 64 style claw and such?

I know McMillian, Manners and High Tech all make stocks they will inlet your action for.(which means just about any model they make) I also believe a phone call to HS precession would yield the same results. Trying to find one off the shelf could be hard.

Jon

You can use a current model wood or synthetic Winchester stock that has a one piece floorplate. The Sporter, Supergrade, or Shadow will work. This assumes your current action has a floorplate. Winchester also had a blind magazine model. If your looking for a non Winchester replacement, the only company I found that produced this version was McMillan. I got one made with pillars and it works great but it wasn't cheap, cost about $450.

well, i was looking at bell and carlson. i know that they make a few oe stocks for win. but i'm still confused on which off the shelf stocks fit the current short actions. i've been looking on midway mostly, and bell's website, but am confused on the nomenclature. sorry if i keep repeating my question, but i am just unfamiliar with what the stock manufacturers call which inlets.

You didn't mention which caliber. It does make a difference. Model 70s in WSM calibers have a little different barrel contour than standard calibers. I found that out while looking for a replacement stock, also. You can get a Hogue overmolded stock with full length bedding block for around $200.00

Choate makes em, & specifies the difference, with measurements, & diagrams. I don't own a Choate stock, but I did a lot of research on stocks before I decided to just bed my factory one, & float the bbl.
I've read mixed reports on them, but the only real negitives seem to be weight related. (I guess they're heavy??)
I'm still considering one tho.

You did not say if you were looking for a synthetic stock or not. Boyds makes some nice wood laminates that you can have checkered for very reasonable cost. Pillar and glass bed and it's every bit as stable and strong as any synthetic and it also looks very nice. Yes the laminate is heavier than a synthetic, but I sure like them.

David

thanx for all the good info, i had forgotten about this post as i hadn't gotten much back in a while. yeah, i have been looking at the choate's and kind of like them. but i would like to keep weight to a min if i can help it. but i'll have to get my hands on one b4 making a decision.

thanx for all the good info, i had forgotten about this post as i hadn't gotten much back in a while. yeah, i have been looking at the choate's and kind of like them. but i would like to keep weight to a min if i can help it. but i'll have to get my hands on one b4 making a decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.