Win model 70 question

Yikes! How do you ever get the time to reload or even shoot all those? I only have 7 different cartridges and still rarely shoot some at all! Oops make that 8. The 222, 223, 30-06 and 375 H&H get the vast majority of shooting and reloading. And only one of each gets much use.

I'm a little less certain about pre-64, but…

In general, Win 70 has 1 action size..(yes, I know they made the modern short action crf WSM actions, but….) so, a short action caliber or med action are a long action with a longer bolt stop timed to a mag box with spacer and shorter follower. These parts are somewhat available.

If it were me, before monkeying around with all that, I would put some 7mm-08 in your rifle and see if it feeds. I'll bet it does. Then just rebarrel and go. You will be able to run longer rounds! Some people find that good.
A little clarification, when Winchester returned to the CRF 1992-2006 witht the "Classic" they had long action for the '06 and short action for the 308 and the like. Those were the last line of rifles to be made in New Haven I believe. Between '64 and '92, I have no idea personally.

I guess it'd be simpler to tell you what I have....

.243, 25-06, 6.5 man bun, 6.5-06, 6.5x55, 270, 280 AI, 7mm mag, 30-06 x3, 300 H&H x2, 300 Winny, 300 Norma, 8 mm mauser, 338 Winny, 338-06, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H.

7mm-08 is really the only (unnecessarily) cartridge we don't have.
you need a 220 Swift 26 inch 1in8 twist. just fun .

Trade what you've accumulated for a pre-64 fwt in .308. Pull the .308 barrel and sell it. Buy a Douglas XX featherweight contour .284 barrel and have it chambered for your 7-08. Or.. you might want to consider the .284 Win.

Pre 64 or post 92 (CRF) barrels are not that easily interchangeable as I understand it. The extractor cut is for that particular barrel/receiver/bolt combination. Lesson I had to learn last year.

The fact is, just like a Mauser, the Winchester pre 64 action will handle any cartridge with the 06 bolt face, BUT sometimes it will not feed a short cartridge how we like unless it has a spacer, and accompanying hardware.
The only thing to do is to try feeding some 7-08 rounds and see what it does.

Cheers.

Pre 64 or post 92 (CRF) barrels are not that easily interchangeable as I understand it. The extractor cut is for that particular barrel/receiver/bolt combination. Lesson I had to learn last year.
good point on the claw extractor cut, Might want to ask your gunsmith first.

It will work just fine. You CAN make up a spacer for the rear of the mag box so the cartridge sits a little forward, this is what the factory did, but you have to change the follower and spring to suit, sometimes the bolt stop will need lengthening, but not on all rifles.

Cheers.
To me, this answered the OP's question the best.

@Greyfox: Sorry, I tried to included your quote too and couldn't make the forum do what I wanted.