Why?

bcoving

Why do we not have a company we can send scopes to to test the tracking and reticle subtensions to verify or give the correction to put in ballistic solvers?

I think most often people do their own testing.

I do know that Charlie Robinson at
ScoreHigh Gunsmithing was doing scope testing about 4-5 years ago. Believe he's still doing it.

I bought a scope that included his testing results with it. It was spot on .

I think there would be a market for it. No doubt anybody can put up some makeshift target and lock their scope into a vise and try to measure it. How accurate it is is another story. Just seems like it would be easy money for someone to get setup to do it right and charge $50 bucks to do it. After shipping both ways maybe $100 dollars total. We have accurate BC's now. That would be 1 less thing people are still calibrating for in solvers to eliminate. Most people just velocity calibrate but thats not the most accurate way.

Why do we not have a company we can send scopes to to test the tracking and reticle subtensions to verify or give the correction to put in ballistic solvers?
Because you can easily do it yourself. Buy pre made tracking target. Mount the scope to a weighted down rest. Measure 100 yards out with a tape measure. Level the reticle to the target and twist your turrets.

do a tall target test. you can get pre made targets from Box to Bench Precision. it will be some of the best money you con spend.

How much are you willing to pay for this service?
I think most often people do their own testing.

I do know that Charlie Robinson at
ScoreHigh Gunsmithing was doing scope testing about 4-5 years ago. Believe he's still doing it.

I bought a scope that included his testing results with it. It was spot on .
How much did this service costed you?

As others noted, most of the end-users do it themselves.

do a tall target test. you can get pre made targets from Box to Bench Precision. it will be some of the best money you con spend.
Horus.com also sells tall targets for scope verification. However, they are a pretty expensive.

The target test does not test for shift when the rifle is fired in the way Ryan Pierce and Alex Wheeler were testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.