Weatherby Fans & why?

I can't remember the year the 1000 yd. record was won by a wild cat cartridge called the 7mm x 300 weatherby . It.s in the old Sierra manual. I had one built on a Sako I think in the early 80's and it shot lights out. About the same time Remington came out with the 8mm remington mag. A guy (Layne Simpson) necked it down to 7mm and the 7mm STW was born . The Weatherby was a lot better, but the factory round won out and Weatherby never pursued it. With today's powder and bullets this would be a great round .

Rich, almost everyone of the Bench rest shooters I have competed with, have Custom Rifles built on Single Shot Bolt Actions. Several shooters ( Not all ) prefer 1 or 2 or 3 thousandths of JAM, when the round in places and the bolt is closed. In their opinion, the bolt should close gently , with almost no effort. I happen to shoot a Savage 308 ,with a 115 Berger Target Bullet , for "Score shooting" , and it came with a detachable magazine, which I have never used. I am still Impressed and amazed that the process of Case Prep and , Load Development for Bench Rest Shooting is part Science and Part Magic.

HI Mr. Fly Guy!!!Do you happen to remember when Weatherby made the Mark V Euromark version. Flat Non Glossy finish on the wood, Plain Checkering , no skip Line , and Black Recoil Pad, with no spacer. I always liked that stock. I just saw a left handed stock like that for sale on eBay. Years ago I sent the stock for the 300 mag to Griffin and Howe to be refinished in an Oil Finish. Not as glossy as the original factory finish. This past year I just had the recoil pad changes to a solid black one. It fine for a hunting rifle. Last time I shot the rifle was 1998 . I hope to shoot it this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    682.6 KB · Views: 41
Lol get it out of the safe & shoot it😀‼️
I just put it in the safe. Lol
That and i bought it as an investment.
Just like the original, unfired 1861 Harpers Ferry 3 band in 68 caliber.
And the unfired commemorative Winchester lever action (94?) In 32 Rem.

And i just have no want/desire/or need to shoot a 300 magnum anything!;)

"They'd be wise to steer clear of most wby catridges" Please give the details as to why this is. I've owned 4 300's 2 270's a 257 and am building a 300 now. The current build is a custom reamer for 230smk's should be in the 3050-3100 range with the 32" barrel. Like every other one I have or had I'd expect sub 1/2 moa and this should be sub 1/4. The Jap Mark V being used was 85% full contact in the lugs threads were checked and the boltface was true to the center line and square to the threads without the trigger installed. Makes sense as to why the 270wby it was shot so well till it was making bullets go poof. A fat bolt being sticky would be the mag follower. Think about it the bolt body is the largest diameter and there are no lug cuts to create a wobble.
Name another action that can load 2 .308 180 grain cup n core bullets on top of 86 grains of imr 4350 and open/remove that case. The mark V will. Do that in a 700 with just one 180 and tell us how it goes
I can only think of one reason that someone would load 86gr of 4350 in anything.
That's to do destructive testing.

Lazzeroni did development of one of their cartridges in a Savage large shank receiver.
Did high enough pressures that the chamber permanently deformed. But the receiver was still usable.

I just put it in the safe. Lol
That and i bought it as an investment.
Just like the original, unfired 1861 Harpers Ferry 3 band in 68 caliber.
And the unfired commemorative Winchester lever action (94?) In 32 Rem.

And i just have no want/desire/or need to shoot a 300 magnum anything!;)
I hear ya. 😀 I have a NIB browning bpr 06'
A Trump Build The Wall 10/22 & 3 more NIB Ruger Talo 10/22's & a NIB Winchester 1895 in 405
Its a disease 😂😀😂

My rifles get retired ONLY when I have anotherone simillar to shoot. I retired one MARK V 300 cause I have 4 others I shoot.
I have one unfired Win M70 Classic Stainless because I have another one I shoot.
I pretty much shoot everything else, some still with factory ammo cause I never got around to load for that particular set