Why I Hunt

I started carrying a 20 gauge shotgun when I was 9 years old. Graduated to a 12 gauge semi when I was 12. Hunted alongside my dad and his friends every weekend. And a lot of times I could beat them on the draw. Hunted grouse, huns, pheasants, ducks, and geese. My dad wasn't a big game hunter so I learned to hunt whitetail with my friends. I borrowed a rifle from one of my dad's friends until I got to college. My first 4 whitetails were killed with 5 shots and one of those shots was a finishing shot. Pretty economical hunting. We could start hunting right from the edge of town. Gas was cheap, we butchered the deer ourselves so it was worthwhile and economical. Nowadays if you take what you pay for licenses, ammo, new rifles, optics, rangefinders, and GAS I could take that money and buy a whole beef or two. As said before it is in our genes. It is natural to want to get back to the earth. The cities have most of the jobs, but most people want to get away from the cities and have a little more of a rural lifestyle. And you see that happening everyday as people move out west or find a more country lifestyle if they are back east. It is the way we were "designed." Now days I am just comfortable sitting quietly on a hillside or mountainside with my binocs watching nature. It's good for the soul. And if I don't get anything it is no big deal or a life and death situation.

I started going with my dad when I was 6. I love every minute I am I in the woods no phone service. The world slows down the memories of past come back to you the smells of the cold crisp morning the woods waking up . Falling asleep doing deer drives . There is no woke crap every one has a gun😂 and you have nothing to worry about . Hope that you see that big buck and that you make a good shot

My father hunted and he was the first one in his family to hunt. My son hunts. I am grateful to my father for teaching me firearm safety, teaching me how to hunt, and love the outdoors. I did the same with my son and he still loves it at 37. The memories are so dear to me and have been some of the most special times of my life. My father has passed for a few years now and I miss hunting with him dearly. But hunting with my son makes it easier.
My father started me off hurting when I was 12, got my first buck when I was 14. I started my son hunting when he was 4 years old he didn't carry a rifle but he was by my side every time I went out. By the time he was old enough to hunt (age 12 at the time inPA) he knew the woods better than the guys I hunted with for years. My daughter also hunted with me until she discovered boys or vice versa. He is now 57 and I'm 77 and we still hunt every chance we get, my daughter 53 will come up from Florida when she can to hunt with us along with my grandson.

Attachments

• IMG_1324_Original.jpeg
    IMG_1324_Original.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0877_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0877_Original.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Deer mounts.jpeg
    Deer mounts.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: