Why I Hunt

wjm1000

I copied this from Ohio Sportsman Archer forum, if you like this you can find the full post there. It really reminds me of my son and daughter who are my hunting partners.

I hunt because my father hunted, and he took me with him, and so we built a bond that I still cherish. And because his father hunted, and his father's father, and all of the fathers in my line and yours, as far back as those fathers who invented spears and axes and recorded their adventures with pictures on the walls of caves.

I hunt because I am convinced, as many anthropologists argue, that prehistoric man was a hunter before he was a farmer, and because the genetic drive remains too powerful for me to resist. I do not need to hunt to eat, but I need to hunt to be fully who I am.

I copied this from Ohio Sportsman Archer forum, if you like this you can find the full post there. It really reminds me of my son and daughter who are my hunting partners.

I hunt because my father hunted, and he took me with him, and so we built a bond that I still cherish. And because his father hunted, and his father's father, and all of the fathers in my line and yours, as far back as those fathers who invented spears and axes and recorded their adventures with pictures on the walls of caves.

I hunt because I am convinced, as many anthropologists argue, that prehistoric man was a hunter before he was a farmer, and because the genetic drive remains too powerful for me to resist. I do not need to hunt to eat, but I need to hunt to be fully who I am.
My Dad was not a hunter. I am the only hunter in my family. I hunt because I can, and it is a passion of mine that came naturally.

Last edited:
My father was a bit of a hunter but I've never hunted with him as he has never been a part of my life. I'm the only hunter in my family. It's something I need and there's an internal desire for it that pulls me out of the flat lands and onto the mnts haha. My wife hunts with me now a bit and I've got a few hunting buddies but solo hunting or with a partner I'm still drawn to the mnt.

I've hunted my whole life but I hunt now because I believe in being able to provide for my family and myself. Hunting is just one part of many that I try to practice often to meet that goal. I'm well aware on how fragile our infrastructure is in the U.S. It's frightening to realize how many Americans have no idea where the food in grocery stores even come from or how to obtain food without going to a store. Our cozy little lives teeter on the edge of complete catastrophe constantly and it's a scary revelation. Most people aren't aware of how lucky we currently are.

My father hunted and he was the first one in his family to hunt. My son hunts. I am grateful to my father for teaching me firearm safety, teaching me how to hunt, and love the outdoors. I did the same with my son and he still loves it at 37. The memories are so dear to me and have been some of the most special times of my life. My father has passed for a few years now and I miss hunting with him dearly. But hunting with my son makes it easier.

I'm the same way. No one in my family ever hunted but it is something I hope to pass to my children one day
I'm in the same boat
I fished with my late Dad and Brother but never hunted. I am envious when I see/hear hunts with their Dad. I would have loved to have hunted with them. He also never got me into firearms safety; my firearms safety was to leave it alone. However, I ensured my sons (now 35 and 33) had firearms safety and fish/hunts at a very young age—firearms safety and shooting/fishing at age 6 and hunting at 10.

Last edited:
I've been hunting since I was 9, almost 58 years except for some time in the military and when I was chasing a doe who became my wife. Started with pheasant, cottontail, squirrel and then eventually graduated to hunting with my uncle's and cousins for whitetail. My dad was passionate about the outdoors, he taught me more about woods sense versus shooting, if you could hit a pie plate at 100 yards with a 30.30, you were good to go. This is a way of life that I've handed down to my kids, son and daughter. I've never questioned why, this is what my family did. I moved to Colorado 30 years ago so I could hunt more. The old guys are all gone but every time I go out, they're all with me.