Weatherby Fans & why?

I turned 16 in 1969 and was going to buy my first car. I test drove a Z-28 and I decided to think on it for a few days. On the way home we stopped by the gun shop and I bought a beautiful MK V deluxe 270 Weatherby instead then bought a 1948 chevy pickup from my uncle. I think I made the right choice . Lots of miles and several loads of critters. Still have the truck, but the gun was stolen in the late 90's.

I turned 16 in 1969 and was going to buy my first car. I test drove a Z-28 and I decided to think on it for a few days. On the way home we stopped by the gun shop and I bought a beautiful MK V deluxe 270 Weatherby instead then bought a 1948 chevy pickup from my uncle. I think I made the right choice . Lots of miles and several loads of critters. Still have the truck, but the gun was stolen in the late 90's.
I will say this on the 40s 50s and '60s era trucks I'd be proud to own a Chevy even though I am a Ford guy. But when I see these Chevy trucks are putting out now I won't touch them

Hello everybody! I have been lurking in the corners for nearly 3 years but, as you can tell, I haven't commented much. This is the first forum on which I have ever registered and that is still the case. Anyway, I don't want to divert from the topic of this thread, I simply felt a need to preface with that.

So, I was reading this thread yesterday thinking that there would be some strong opinions and some entertainment value, as I often get some good chuckles from some of your comments. Afterward, I set about my daily perusing of Gunbroker, when I stumbled upon a Mark V, in 257 Weatherby. I was thinking I read at least one comment of someone wanting a 257 so, I thought I'd drop the link here, in case anyone was interested in it: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/972478748 I have this seller saved and they always have very nice-condition guns and no junk. It's not so perfect to be 'like new' but, pretty nice for a rifle that appears to have been used to hunt some. You all have a great day! Doug

I recently acquired a 300 Weatherby. Older one. Japan model Mark V. Beautiful dark walnut stock. Great bluing. Shoots 180 grain ttsx around 1/2" at 100 yds. Has a little bark to it that's for sure, but nothing to scare a guy off from shooting a second shot. It's so fast people get a kick out of watching it blow through 1/2 steel plates at 300 yds like it's cardboard. At 3188 fps it's a frozen rope to 300 yds. All that juice is really good for those copper bullets. Not sure what might happen to a cup and core bullet. Probably turn inside out in a hurry.

The guys I read have the bullets barely held by neck tension. When they chamber the round, it is too long for the chamber and is forced back into the case when the bolt is closed.
Yeah that very well may be. I was listening to the podcast with Jack Neary and i could have sworn he said they no longer do this but I definitely could be mistaken.

I'm really enjoying this thread as I have been a Weatherby fan since I was a kid, and I have some random thoughts. My dad bought his first Weatherby (300 Wby) at 19 yo just like I did. He also had a 240 when I was coming up and he now has a 257.
I have a 257 accumark that is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever been around. In it's prime it would shoot five shots that a dime would cover all day long every day. You could clean it and it would put the first one exactly where it would put the 100th one.
All my life I've heard people and read articles that talked about Weatherby rounds being less accurate than their counterparts. It went against my observations. When I got into custom rifles I started building Wby calibers for the most part. I once had a 300 Wby built by a prominent builder, and they tried to get me to build it in their proprietary 300 magnum that is known for extreme accuracy. I already had brass and dies, but I asked one of the employees in reality how much more accurate was their 300 than the Wby. He immediately said it's not but do not tell the owner that I just admitted that to you.
A good friend started building rifles several years ago and he got a lot of advice from a well know hall of fame benchrest shooter who is a builder. This man told him that freebore was not detrimental at all to accuracy. He said if you build it right it will shoot.
I played with a bone stock 378 Mark V Deluxe a few years ago. It was a blast... I ended up developing a load with a 350 grain SMK that would shoot 1/2-3/4". You did have to let it cool before shooting that third shot though.
Roy Weatherby started developing his calibers 80 years ago! They are cool classics today that still match up with any of the "modern" cartridges, and they were way ahead of their time when introduced.

I'm really enjoying this thread as I have been a Weatherby fan since I was a kid, and I have some random thoughts. My dad bought his first Weatherby (300 Wby) at 19 yo just like I did. He also had a 240 when I was coming up and he now has a 257.
I have a 257 accumark that is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever been around. In it's prime it would shoot five shots that a dime would cover all day long every day. You could clean it and it would put the first one exactly where it would put the 100th one.
All my life I've heard people and read articles that talked about Weatherby rounds being less accurate than their counterparts. It went against my observations. When I got into custom rifles I started building Wby calibers for the most part. I once had a 300 Wby built by a prominent builder, and they tried to get me to build it in their proprietary 300 magnum that is known for extreme accuracy. I already had brass and dies, but I asked one of the employees in reality how much more accurate was their 300 than the Wby. He immediately said it's not but do not tell the owner that I just admitted that to you.
A good friend started building rifles several years ago and he got a lot of advice from a well know hall of fame benchrest shooter who is a builder. This man told him that freebore was not detrimental at all to accuracy. He said if you build it right it will shoot.
I played with a bone stock 378 Mark V Deluxe a few years ago. It was a blast... I ended up developing a load with a 350 grain SMK that would shoot 1/2-3/4". You did have to let it cool before shooting that third shot though.
Roy Weatherby started developing his calibers 80 years ago! They are cool classics today that still match up with any of the "modern" cartridges, and they were way ahead of their time when introduced.
My stock 378 with factory ammunition shoots like yours does ‼️😀😀

I hear so many people say the radius shoulder sucks. So you have a "double angle" on your standard cartridges and a "double radius" on Weatherby.. So far, every time I asked why the double radius sucks, nobody was able to answer. For my education, can you please tell me what about it sucks?
I will tell you that after 45 years of reloading the double radius is not prone to lube dents in full length sizing dies. Loading thousands of rounds in WBY calibers I cannot remember having but a couple of dents and no stuck cases. The cartridges that have angled shoulders will render a few dents and a stuck case every few hundred loads and the WSM calibers are the worst. When I shot matches there were several times that a person would bring a WBY out out of the box scope it, sight it in and do very well with no range time with the rifle. This is what sold me on WBY. Unless you have a fetish for custom rifles (GUILTY), a WBY-MK V AccuMark is as good as any custom I have ever owned and better than some. The 338-378 took a lot matches with Sierra's out front if you did your part. Happy Shooting.