Sendero fans, What is your favorite round?

BearDog

I just picked up a Sendero in a .300 Win Mag, and wanted to get a few opinions from fellow Sendero shooters about which round they like best out of their weapons for long range hunting (Muley's and Elk). I'm open to comments about factory and handloads. The June/July issue of EHJ had a pretty interesting section on factory rounds, and I wanted to know what other Sendero shooters had to say. Thanks for your opinions guys!

I have one in 300 win mag as well. I shoot reloads out of mine. I was shooting 175gr Sierra Match Kings on whitetail deer out to 600 yards. Never shot it beyond that nor at anything bigger than a whitetail.... but they were effective on coyotes Javalina and deer. I recently decided to go bonded so shoot the 180gr Nosler Accubond. Hasnt seen any time in the field yet but hopefully will this year. It's very accurate with both loads and the gun is completely stock other than a muzzle brake. I shoot accubond out of every one of my magnums because I'm a believer. They are accurate and I've recovered every animal I've shot at. I recovered a perfect mushroom out of a deer last year 140gr Accubond in 270wsm performed beautifully. Now I know a whole lot of people love Berger, I have a buddy that does too. I personally had a bad experience with it shooting a Javalina at 150yrds with another 300 win mag I have...so I decided to go ahead and stay bonded. I realize that that could happen with any bullet but makes me more confident knowing my bullet will mushroom and not fragment into shrapnel.

At one time or another, I have owned, or still own, just about every caliber that Remington made on to a Sendero, except the 270, 25-06, and the big Ultra mags. That being said, if your question is what are the most accurate one, well that would be a seven mag, in the black finish, and a .300 SAUM. The seven was a honest to God 1/4 minute gun, and the 300 was as well. My first 7 STW was a sendero, and I still have that one. It still shoots as good as it did when I first got it. I just built another 7 STW, using a Sendero barrel, that was in Excellent shape. I prefer the original stock over the SF II stock. The palm swell is somewhat awkward at times. I also think the original Stainless Sendero barrels were better than late models. My 2006 300 Ultra mag, was an excellent shooter however. I think that the sweetheart of the bunch is a Seven Mag, ( and of course, the STW).

I too was not a fan of the palm swell. I have on order a Game Scout from McMillan. It is a little lighter as well which is a big bonus for me! Every little ounce off this beast helps.

My favorite is my 7mmSTW it's a hammer I shoot Cutting Edge ballistics 160 gr MAX bullet the bullets are expensive but It is not something I shoot all the time LOVE SENDEROS gun)

I just picked up a Sendero in a .300 Win Mag, and wanted to get a few opinions from fellow Sendero shooters about which round they like best out of their weapons for long range hunting (Muley's and Elk). I'm open to comments about factory and handloads. The June/July issue of EHJ had a pretty interesting section on factory rounds, and I wanted to know what other Sendero shooters had to say. Thanks for your opinions guys!
My Sendero 300 Rum just shoots the hell out of the factory Remignton full power 180gr Sirocco II's. See attached 300yds target

Remington also makes 300wm ammo with the sirocco and I'll probabl try a box or two of them this fall im my M70.

I have a Mod 70 300wm that shoots the hornady superformance sub MOA out to 600yds. I haven't tried it beyond that since it's my light weight pencil barreled short to medium range "truck gun".

The 180gr SST is a great bullet for deer, and they also make it with the 190gr interbond which is an exceptional deer or Elk round at the ranges the 300wm is capable of reaching to.

Heck for Deer even the 165gr interbond isn't a bad choice.

When it comes to factory ammo Hornady has always performed exceptionally well for me and I've shot a lot of it in a bunch of different calibers. The Remington premier is expensive, but so far it has shot very well for me too.

Attachments

• 300Rum300yds.jpg
    300Rum300yds.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 112
I too was not a fan of the palm swell. I have on order a Game Scout from McMillan. It is a little lighter as well which is a big bonus for me! Every little ounce off this beast helps.
Not a bad choice. My next stock upgrade though I think is toing to be the A-3 sporter. I've loved that stock since I first saw pictures of it, and I managed to get my hands on one recently and liked it even better.

My model 70 is getting a makeover this summer and after next season I think it'll find it's way to one.

Attachments

• A3 sporter.jpg
    A3 sporter.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126
I have 2. 300WM shoots reloads into .5. 7mm STW shoot reloads into -.5 with it's best. Will shoot just about anything into .5. Have not seen on yet that won't shoot with rifles costing 3 times as much.

Not a bad choice. My next stock upgrade though I think is toing to be the A-3 sporter. I've loved that stock since I first saw pictures of it, and I managed to get my hands on one recently and liked it even better.

My model 70 is getting a makeover this summer and after next season I think it'll find it's way to one.

It's good to hear of people ordering multiple stocks from McMillan. This is my first stock from the company, and as I'm sure you felt on your first order, you ask yourself is it worth the coin and the 4 months waiting? My eye was originally caught by the A-3 because of its light weight design, which obviously led me to the Game Scout. I'm excited to get it...it's torture waiting so long for it! haha.

I have one in 300 win mag as well. I shoot reloads out of mine. I was shooting 175gr Sierra Match Kings on whitetail deer out to 600 yards. Never shot it beyond that nor at anything bigger than a whitetail.... but they were effective on coyotes Javalina and deer. I recently decided to go bonded so shoot the 180gr Nosler Accubond. Hasnt seen any time in the field yet but hopefully will this year. It's very accurate with both loads and the gun is completely stock other than a muzzle brake. I shoot accubond out of every one of my magnums because I'm a believer. They are accurate and I've recovered every animal I've shot at. I recovered a perfect mushroom out of a deer last year 140gr Accubond in 270wsm performed beautifully. Now I know a whole lot of people love Berger, I have a buddy that does too. I personally had a bad experience with it shooting a Javalina at 150yrds with another 300 win mag I have...so I decided to go ahead and stay bonded. I realize that that could happen with any bullet but makes me more confident knowing my bullet will mushroom and not fragment into shrapnel.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I was hoping people would mention the Accubond's and the Interbond's, as well as the SST's. I am a fan of Honady ammo, but a couple of buddies who hunt with love Nosler's, and I know first hand how well they drop big muley's in their tracks. I was curious about how both rounds shot out of a Sendero. Time to go test for myself! Thanks!gun)

It's good to hear of people ordering multiple stocks from McMillan. This is my first stock from the company, and as I'm sure you felt on your first order, you ask yourself is it worth the coin and the 4 months waiting? My eye was originally caught by the A-3 because of its light weight design, which obviously led me to the Game Scout. I'm excited to get it...it's torture waiting so long for it! haha.
You can find someone promoting anything on the internet. You can find small groups of people on various websites that are all convinced "their guy" for any rifle, stock, trigger, scope etc is the only one worth the time or money.

The truth is though, for the money, you can't beat McMillan for consistent quality, stocks that really are tailored to the different applications the advertise them for, and their customer service people actually act like their happy to answer the phone and talk to you which is very rare these days. They also speak English as a first language which is even rarer in the retail world.

You will pay for their quality, but you pay a fair price instead of feeling like you've been raped on the way out the door like you will with some of the other custom/semi custom stock makers out there. You are lucky to own a McMillan Stock, but they never remind you of it.

WildRose,

If I was rich I would not reload with that kind of group! Pretty Good Ammo!

View attachment 10089
Well Eaglet, that's actually 3, 3 shot groups. The three on the left stringing vertically is one group, I adjusted the scope, then shot the others. There are two holes under the quarter.

Other than bedding and some additional floating and a trigger job, all that's been done to that rifle was for me to lap the bolt lugs/reciever and trigger.

It's just awfully hard for a Sendero not to shoot right with just a very little bit of work.

I also have one in .220 Swift that shoots just as well. This too is a .300yds target shot with Hornady Factory 50gr VMax Moly's, the same day as the Rum Target was shot. 6 shots, 300yds, the Dot is 1".

It's hell on priarie dogs... .

Attachments

• .220swift300yds.jpg
    .220swift300yds.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128