Why

Right on. For last ten years, I've made sure all my components are in house prior to my delivery to my smith. That includes rifle components. More important are the reloading components because they're harder to find.

Get your brass, bullets, primers, dies, and powders first. Don't forget the little things like mandrels, bushings, bore guides and annealing pilots.

Being prepared makes things run smoothly.

Oh, I have sufficient numbers to hold me over until they plant me, and to hold my heirs over, but I do know people who won't use up all they have in ten lifetimes!
During the Clinton admin I saw the writing on the wall.
Good for you my friend and God Bless you for having the knowledge to store some ammo/components so that you can shoot and your heirs. I wish that you have a LONG LIFE and run out of your stored ammo before you pass and that your still leave a little for your heirs (they may need it).
Can't stand those that say "Well they have ten life times" How do you KNOW to SAY that?
Why chastise others' that may be a someone smarter than most to have a stock of supplies????
Maybe they have lots of children and grandchildren that will need the ammo.
Like I said in a lot of our Posts. This whole thing about hoarding is mostly about the people that did not think ahead and now don't have ammo or components. These people BLAME the other smarter people for getting supplies in advance.
If you are on the short end of the stick now and looking for components - who is at FAULT WHO are you blaming????
All the people that thought ahead??
SO TIRED about blaming other responsible, knowledgeable "PERSONS" Shooters, Hunters and them being the problem with shortages in AMMO, Reloading components and Firearms.
Darn just look into "Manufacturing" of Ammo. I did Post something on this.
Give it a break and get a life. If you are one of these blaming everything you should not be in the shooting /hunting world. The real Hunters/Shooters understand this.

God Bless
Len & Jill

No charge card,if I can not pay for it in cash I do not want it,still Pi-- me off , I live here in appleton ,wi know the guy that services all the machines that make brass for all major companies to there specks,trock loads of brass comes in and out goes the cases, I bought all my primers at gun shows,my 9 1/2 Remington Mags that I got 2 bricks of out perform my fed 215 Mag.Match, like I said in 45 minutes that raised the price of the same powder by 8 bucks a pound ,crap if you ask me. I do agree that Hoarders cause a lot of the problems ,like a stupid guy at the range ,has only one pistol,a 9mm bought 3, 8# ers I told him that is 168,000 + or - grains of powder,told him that is about 33,000 rounds for your 9mm........................HardHead

Some time ago I was thinking about a 6.5 PRC. I picked up 4 pieces of fired brass at the range and have been admiring them for the past year. I also cruise thru the web looking for 6.5 PRC brass every week. My policy is to never commit myself to a new rifle (build) until I have 200 pieces of compatible brass & enough primers & powder for either brass life or barrel life. Sure looks like no 6.5 PRC for me in the near future. During my 6.5 PRC speculation period I ordered another 6.5-06 barrel. I also accumulated lots of .30-06, 6.5CM, & .223 brass.

Ammo & components are in short supply. I sure have seen lots of 9mm Luger & .223 ammo and expect to see lots of .270W & .30-06 ammo soon.

The small demand for 6.5 PRC ammo & brass is overwhelmed by the needs of new gun buyers, seasonal hunters, MSR owners and shooters that are satisfied with calibers like the .223, .243, 6.5 CM & .30-06.

I sense much frustration regarding shortages of components needed for calibers like 6.5 PRC - inadequate popularity.

During the Clinton era I served as wifey's driver for her frequent business trips & was able to acquire a good stock of primers from large box stores in rural areas - just passing thru but lets see if they have any primers. The current shortage is much more severe & widespread.

WHY ??,..
You picked, the MOST Popular, NEW, L R Hunting, Cartridge, in America,.. that's,.. WHY !
Now, you gotta GO,. "Huntin' " for,.. Components !
Alright he has to go hunting:). Not game, but ammo, and components. Just like the rest of us.
Presently I see powder slowly coming back and sitting on the net. Only a few primers, and better than 3 times the prices. So I look, but don't buy. I will watch and wait.

Right on. For last ten years, I've made sure all my components are in house prior to my delivery to my smith. That includes rifle components. More important are the reloading components because they're harder to find.

Get your brass, bullets, primers, dies, and powders first. Don't forget the little things like mandrels, bushings, bore guides and annealing pilots.

Being prepared makes things run smoothly.
Boy Scout MOTTO, BE,. Prepared ! Like,.. This ^^^^ Obtaining, the Brass (qty needed) & Dies for, ANY, New Cartridge FIRST, IS,.. Paramount.

Last edited:
Boy Scout MOTTO, BE,. Prepared ! Like,.. This ^^^^ Obtaining, the Brass (qty needed) & Dies for, ANY, New Cartridge FIRST, IS,.. Paramount.
I've gone so far as to order extra bolts so that I can shoot other chambers in the meantime 🤣 At this rate 7 PRC will probably hit the streets before I get a 7 SAUM together, meanwhile the action wears 6.5-284 barrel.

I just bought a 6.5 PRC I was allowed by Scheels to buy 1 box of shells for it,50 Bucks,no brass,no bullets,no Primers,I had returned 8#s of LRT because I thought it would be too slow,,found out it would.......went back in 45 minutes later to buy it back,I did ,it went from $32.99 to 38.99 in 45 minutes. So why does a company make a cartridge for a rifle ,then the rifle manufacturer make a rifle for it, and you can not get a real answer why,WHY...........is there no Brass or bullets or primers???????????? I was lucky had one box of Hornady 147, pulled all but 3 ,dumped the powder deprimed and loaded up loads ,used 147 ELD Match,Rem.9 1/2 Magnum and Fwd. 215 Mag. Match went from 62.0 to 67.0 grs. 66.5 gr. load was very consistent 2.23 S.D, 2970 fps. Pressures on expanded cases were less case expansion at the head than the 3 factory loads, I still want to know why we are at this point,I strongly believe that when they found out that people will pay they keep it slow and the price up. Quote: Stupid Is As Stupid Does................... HardHead
What is 8#'s LRT? Can't be powder for that price. I'm assuming from the time you bought it the first time and the second time the price increased, so you return it and get the refund of what you paid but when buying again you pay the new price.

When you bought it, you probably paid with a credit card/debit card. The store paid credit card fees on that transaction. Then you came back to return it, and you expect all of your money back, so the company gives it to you... yet they don't get their fees they paid back. Then you come back and decide you want to buy the same thing again 45 minutes after you return it. They sell it to you again, and pay fees on it again, not to mention in most instances they have to do all of the work to re-inventory the items you returned and/or take a loss on the returned item because it's not "new" anymore.

All the jacking around you caused, guaranteed the company made zero money, and certainly lost money while dealing with you.

It's behavior like you've exhibited that drives brick and mortar stores into insolvency and ensures large scale outfits such as Amazon thrive.

Regarding your inability to find ammo/components... I suggest you start evaluating the future you desire and begin bargaining with it now, so you don't have to run around blaming everyone else for what you don't have 5 years from now.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

(Oops - double)
When you bought it, you probably paid with a credit card/debit card. The store paid credit card fees on that transaction. Then you came back to return it, and you expect all of your money back, so the company gives it to you... yet they don't get their fees they paid back. Then you come back and decide you want to buy the same thing again 45 minutes after you return it. They sell it to you again, and pay fees on it again, not to mention in most instances they have to do all of the work to re-inventory the items you returned and/or take a loss on the returned item because it's not "new" anymore.

All the jacking around you caused, guaranteed the company made zero money, and certainly lost money while dealing with you.

It's behavior like you've exhibited that drives brick and mortar stores into insolvency and ensures large scale outfits such as Amazon thrive.

Regarding your inability to find ammo/components... I suggest you start evaluating the future you desire and begin bargaining with it now, so you don't have to run around blaming everyone else for what you don't have 5 years from now.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Lost money? No… they increased their original net profit by $5.

Credit card fee they pay per transaction is about 2%. So, on second sale they paid 0.02x38.99 = $0.78 in card transaction fees ($1.44 total fees) but they increased the price by $6 for a profit bump of $5 over the original profit.

Cost of occasional restocking? Negligible and part of customer service.

People returning tools to Home Depot/Lowes/Costco after a project or returning a generator after a power outage, yes, abusive. That's not this case.

Last edited:
Oh, I have sufficient numbers to hold me over until they plant me, and to hold my heirs over, but I do know people who won't use up all they have in ten lifetimes!
During the Clinton admin I saw the writing on the wall.
Yep. Remember the Clinton primer shortage ? I said never again and stocked up on all components. I can't feel real sorry for those who don't think ahead. I have helped some but just don't get their thinking . Like buying only a 100 primers at time or a pound of powder until it runs out. That's what I did when i started reloading at 18 🙄

Last edited: