Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

...the only reason I have my Remington is because all the custom work was already done to it (blue printing, trueing, rebarrel, timney elite, MDT chassis). Otherwise I would own purely Weatherby. There is a .300wby and a 6.5-300 both in accuguards that I have considered purchasing.
The most fancy platform (Vanguard)? No, but they are reliable. You're right though, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much after market support as there is for Remington, Savage, etc.

One advantage I do believe Remington has over Weatherby is their bolt design. My gunsmith explained the differences between the two, I don't recall the specifics. In short, he said that you are safer behind a Remington than you are a Weatherby if you experience a case failure. It boiled down to the differences of a safety breach (remington) versus a cone breach (weatherby). The safety breach has more obstacles for hot gas and molten brass to get by whereas a cone breach has minimal obstacles, allowing for hot gas and molten brass to reach the shooters face easier. Weatherby has vented the sides of their bolts to aide in gas redirect if this were to ever happen.
But if you're a safe reloader who doesn't push limits, or you shoot factory ammunition, what's the difference? Shoot what you like better.

Your gunsmith is misguided (no disrespect) or you didn't understand what he was saying. Weatherby MKV is probably the strongest action on the market. You've never seen blown up Weatherby action. I know a fella who loaded 6.5 bullets in his 257 mag. Fired 2 shots! Then the action seised. Remy would blow up and you'd lose both eyes. Just saying.
The link below is a very nice explanation of the differences between Mark V and Howa.

I love Weatherby rifles and I have always had great customer service for over 40 years. We have a Mk V in .257 Wby my wife has shot since 1976, now she has a Weatherby Vanguard Camilla in 7mm-08 that is her new favorite and I have a German built Mk V .300 Mag that still looks like it just came out of the box--serial #21111. We just took the Camilla and the old German Rifle to Africa and they really laid 'em down. Recall Wby cartridges were designed all about extreme velocity and before the great bullets we have today, synthetic stocks and LR optics...hence the belts and the free bore...that made them "exotic". I think because of the MV V action they aren't usually tapped for custom builds and LR shooting. That said all mine wear a Viper Vortex 4-16X44 HS-T scope verified to about 800 yds (range limit) and are mostly used for hunting only out to about 500 yds. I think Wby rifles are well priced for the quality and niche calibers etc. If you want a nice stick of wood you will most easily find it on a Weatherby rifle.

I own three Weatherby mark V . The .270 Weatherby Mag was purchased new in 1979 , the 300 Weather mag was purchased used from the gun shop I used to work in, and the third is my Weatherby Ultralight, in 270 Win. Purchased used from Gander Mtn . My hands down, go to, favorite Deer rifle. They all shoot very well with handloads. When I was selling Guns in the gun shop, most first time hunters were usually asking for " a Good ,Cheap rifle". We sold many , many Remington ADL's. The Weatherby's were considered ,by many, to be for just the 'Rich Guys" . Ammo was expensive , Striker One ; all the cartridge's back then were labeled Magnum, so they were thought to "Kick hard " Strike two; and the fancy shaped stock, in High Gloss finish was just to outrageous , for many hunters. It was often nearly double the price of the Win Model 70 , or the 700 BDL, or the Ruger 77. The first time hunter often brings in his expert uncle, who at some point says " I get a deer every year with my Remington , you don't need that fancy S@#% t . So we sell another ADL, in .308 or 30 -06 . IMHO, for those who appreciate quality , Weatherby is an excellent rifle, with fine fit and finish, and great accuracy, and great customer service department. I have completely enjoyed mine, for many years .

The customer service is excellent

I have five Wbys. One Vanguard in .270 Win. All shoot sub MOA with one having a new .270 Wby Kreiger barrel. I have other makes, but I hunt with the Weatherbys.

Attachments

• 20200402_105547.jpg
    20200402_105547.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 460
I have a Back Country in a 300 WM that has shot 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups for over a decade now, with the current interest in light weight carry all day rifles, I believe the Mark V in the TI is right up there at the top.

I passed on a beautiful mk v deluxe in 257 wby for 950$ brand new in 2017 that I regret not snatching up. Did however grab a vanguard deluxe sporter with very nice wood for 349$ in 18' and somehow scored a Vx3i cds for it for 179$. Ended up selling it to my BIL at cost for his first deer rifle. He loves it to death.

I had stainless Vanguard S2 Accumark in 257 Weatherby with ss fluted barrel, before I got Mark V. I believe the Vanguard S2 is the best deal on the planet. No recoil, sturdy, 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Another possible factor is that the Weatherby Magnum cartridge chambers were cut with a rather long freebore.

The long jump made getting benchrest accuracy something of a challenge. Also, folks tended to go with light weight barrels to help with stalking. The whippy barrels also did not help precision.

BTW I know this from having strived for 1" groups in my L±H MK V 378 in the late '60s.. Best I could do was about 125 - 1.5" at 100 yards.

Shooting lightweight sucker from the bench was interesting!

Its a hunting rifle. All you need is one shot. No need to warm up the barrel. :)

What would you like to talk about? I own 3.. 257 MK5 RC, 300 MK5 RC and a 30-378 MK5 RC. All extremely accurate and capable. Actually my 257 is THE most accurate non custom I own. 5-shot string under 1/2" shooting 100 grain Barnes TTSX or either TSX... it really likes 100 grainers..

I found my MKV Accumark loves 100gr Sciroccos. one hole on 100 yards, 3500 fps

I have a Weatherby Sub-Moa 257 I have been trying to find another stock for it. The old stock is junk. Thanks to any one if you can help.

You can find wood stocks on Ebay too

I have owned a mark V Weatherby in 270 wby mag that has been my primary hunting rifle for 26 years killed tons of deer with it most were drt out to 500. Absolutely love this gun and would never sell it. Not into pretty wood on a hunting gun and not into safe queens so went with composite stock. I am going to rebarrel to a heavier faster twist to shoot the heavier high bc bullets. Mine has always been sub MOA with factory ammo and done everything I asked of it. Just want to stretch it out to 1K and think the higher bc's will help.

Your gunsmith is misguided (no disrespect) or you didn't understand what he was saying. Weatherby MKV is probably the strongest action on the market. You've never seen blown up Weatherby action. I know a fella who loaded 6.5 bullets in his 257 mag. Fired 2 shots! Then the action seised. Remy would blow up and you'd lose both eyes. Just saying.
The link below is a very nice explanation of the differences between Mark V and Howa.

I likely misunderstood. Thanks for sharing the video