Talk to me about Barrel Tuners

I'm really glad you posted this. I stopped shooting 100 yards for load work up because ive had them open up at distance and your pics reflect the same thing ive noticed. I'll still do it if conditions require it, like a poor scope or weather but it's usually for a rifle that's only going to be hunted out to 3-400. Hopefully your pics help others
Opened my eyes also. Before I would have called it good with the 100yrd group, but I've been WOKE😄

I really like the looks of the ec tuner over anything else on the market. I went with the heavier tmb on my 300prc with the heavier bullets thinking ( probably wrong on this) it would have more effect. I was able to keep coal and pick a velocity with the 245's and the 250 Atips and get excellent results. Here's the 2 targets from my tune with the 245's. I only shoot 2 unless I think there might be something or if I feel I pulled a shot. This is at 200 and worked very good out to 1000. Clockwise, bottom left is me trying to get into bullseye and center being close enough to bullseye and out of time lol

Attachments

• E484BD0E-2394-417F-AB6F-F36A8428953E.jpeg
    E484BD0E-2394-417F-AB6F-F36A8428953E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 3A3DFB40-BF3A-4DF2-A5A4-50A2130A613E.jpeg
    3A3DFB40-BF3A-4DF2-A5A4-50A2130A613E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
I hate the 100yd so much I've resorted to 50yd testing! I love shooting further and usually see better groups at distance. This pleases me!
I've heard this before. I'm not sold on it just because of what I've seen happen on a really good looking 100 yard group but really it's whatever works the quickest and uses the least amount of components and accomplishes the goal. I'm lucky that I have a range pretty protected by the wind out to 500 meters and that seems to be enough to open up any weaknesses

I usually run a paired charge ladder at 500y, I see the velocity nodes. I then charge in the upper half of the velocity nodes, and do a rough seating depth test in 005 incriments from 15-40k off lands. One or two of these will shine. I pick the one with best ES/group and load 30-40 rounds of this spec. I then tune at 500y. I have also tuned at 100y. You'll see the same results. The correct tune groups at 100y are usually 1 hole 3 shots. That translates into 1/3 moa at 500y.

I'm glad to see good results with the EC tuner brakes. I received mine last week and I'm excited to finish the rifle build and try it out.

Hi. As a smithy I have found tuners to be of great assistance. I make my own here in AUSTRALIA. Definitely improved the group sizes even on my 22 lr. First photo is of my tuner brake I made for my 22lr Ruger 77-22vt hunting rifle. Went from 1 1/4 inch groups down to 1/4 inch groups. Second photo is of my Ruger 77-22vt taget rifle. Groups are now consistantly tight sub 1/4 inch groups if I do my part. Third photo is of my 308 full bore optical class rifle tuner. Made a huge difference in group sizes. Last photo is of my tuner I added behind the brake. A bit of a custom job and this is on my custom 260 Remington Ruger VT action PRS rifle (REAPER) which has made a huge difference.
The full bore rifle is in 308 Winchester and I run the powder to a velocity node 20 thou off the lands and use the tuner to tighten the groups. The 260Rem PRS rifle I run several projectiles at mag length (customized MDT mags) and have a velocity node for each (140gr SST and 147gr ELD-M) and adjust my tuner for each. Given the numbers on the tuner I just dial in on the predetermind accuracy setting and shoot away. Very repeatable settings. Consistantly under half inch with the SST but better with the ELD-M. FYI my groups are alway 5 shots.
I am keeping a record of barrel lengths and weights and the weight of the tuner to record how the tuner weight to barrel stiffness correlation so as to devolpe a formular so that a tuner can be made at the most effective weight.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20211104_200924.jpg
    20211104_200924.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20211104_201610.jpg
    20211104_201610.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20211104_201458.jpg
    20211104_201458.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211104_201407.jpg
    20211104_201407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I read where a guy that competes at 1000 says that if it's in the proper tune, powder can vary within 1/10 of a gr and still hold accuracy. I've never had time to test but would be interesting

Hi. As a smithy I have found tuners to be of great assistance. I make my own here in AUSTRALIA. Definitely improved the group sizes even on my 22 lr. First photo is of my tuner brake I made for my 22lr Ruger 77-22vt hunting rifle. Went from 1 1/4 inch groups down to 1/4 inch groups. Second photo is of my Ruger 77-22vt taget rifle. Groups are now consistantly tight sub 1/4 inch groups if I do my part. Third photo is of my 308 full bore optical class rifle tuner. Made a huge difference in group sizes. Last photo is of my tuner I added behind the brake. A bit of a custom job and this is on my custom 260 Remington Ruger VT action PRS rifle (REAPER) which has made a huge difference.
The full bore rifle is in 308 Winchester and I run the powder to a velocity node 20 thou off the lands and use the tuner to tighten the groups. The 260Rem PRS rifle I run several projectiles at mag length (customized MDT mags) and have a velocity node for each (140gr SST and 147gr ELD-M) and adjust my tuner for each. Given the numbers on the tuner I just dial in on the predetermind accuracy setting and shoot away. Very repeatable settings. Consistantly under half inch with the SST but better with the ELD-M. FYI my groups are alway 5 shots.
I am keeping a record of barrel lengths and weights and the weight of the tuner to record how the tuner weight to barrel stiffness correlation so as to devolpe a formular so that a tuner can be made at the most effective weight.
Cheers
Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see what you figure out

Cheers
Hey mate, which brake is that in the last picture? Thanks!

Recent Posts