Talk to me about .243 Winchester

The precision rifle circuit was ruled by the 243 for many years. I have killed many white tail with a factory ruger 243. I have won some great prizes with a savage / Shillen and 105 hornadys out to 1k. The round is great and components are readily available. Still and yes you can run this caliber in a gas gun.

I have shot at least 15 deer and 40+ hogs with the 243. Its all about the right bullet for the job. Yotes and smaller ballistic tips and sierra's and deer/hogs Barnes or a bullet that holds together. The 90gr accubond is my favorite. I've shot hogs to 525yds with the accubond. 243 is a fine rd for 250lb animals and smaller with the right bullet. I've tested the sig 90gr tipped elite hunter on hogs too, it holds together well and groups really well in my ruger predator. I've killed 250 lb boars hammer dead with the 243 and they are as tough as it gets. Its all about the bullet and speed.

Last edited:
No I actually asked if I was missing something in the 243......it was a serious question. At almost $1.00 a pop to try light hammers I was debating whether to try them or just rebarrel it.....the other comments are directed at those that have a 243 hard on, and are doing what I mentioned in a previous post, using THEIR experience as a blanket of why everyone else is wrong.........if you have nothing constructive to bring to the table, please go post of Facebook or somewhere else!
Thank you!

To actual questions: My oldest is now 16, but my youngest is three so it's a on going question.
I think it's funny how there are so many people are getting so worked up about me asking if I might change my mind about the 243 with different bullets..........😂 make it what you want in your own mind.......

All these posts are confusing (to me), so I re-read Ckgworks posts to try to figure what he was saying/asking.

Post-#1:
He has a Remington 600 that was a "king" in it's day. He modified the barrel and added a youth stock, but it's not doing what he wants it to do. He wants modern-day performance out of has-been modified rifle. (Ever try to make a cat bark, or a dog meow?)

He answered his own question of performance with a 6.5 Grendel, which has ballistics that rival a 243, without the recoil...a 'youth' caliber to be sure!

And then he asked us guys on how to go about on salvaging a poor performing rifle.

Simple answer is...if you want a modern-day performing rifle, you need a modern-day rifle. The cost to bring a has-been rifle up to modern-day standards would be a financial nightmare, but some to it anyway. (Ever restore an antique car to brand new status? Ouch, right?)

Post-#21:
His key statement here is "more coyotes get shot than deer"...he wants a coyote rifle...first...then a deer rifle second.

One of the best coyote calibers of modern-day is the 6.5 Grendel! And it will handle the occasional deer, as he has already tested and approved.

He has subconsciously answered his own question and didn't even know it!

The 6.5 Grendel.

Post-#28:

He wants a rifle for..."10 year old....especially a girl with their muscle structure."

Again...he has subconsciously answered his own question and didn't even know it!

The 6.5 Grendel.

Post-#30/#33:
He's explaining (again, but no need to) his initial reason for staring this thread.

Post-#44/#45:
Off track explaining "his" rifle of choice, not the choice he wants for his daughter, but makes for good conversation.

Post-#50:
Explaining how he teaches his children his rifle/hunting philosophy...good words! And again he mentions the 6.5 Grendel...

Anybody see a connection here?
Would be very difficult to convert to this cartridge. Smaller bolt face is needed. Getting it to feed from a magazine would be tough too. If he wants a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun it would be much cheaper to buy one and throw the 600 away.

No I actually asked if I was missing something in the 243......it was a serious question. At almost $1.00 a pop to try light hammers I was debating whether to try them or just rebarrel it.....the other comments are directed at those that have a 243 hard on, and are doing what I mentioned in a previous post, using THEIR experience as a blanket of why everyone else is wrong.........if you have nothing constructive to bring to the table, please go post of Facebook or somewhere else!
Thank you!

To actual questions: My oldest is now 16, but my youngest is three so it's a on going question.
I think it's funny how there are so many people are getting so worked up about me asking if I might change my mind about the 243 with different bullets..........😂 make it what you want in your own mind.......
Then I would get the older son a new rifle of his own, and suffer through the .243 one more time with the little one. Try the 55gr ballistic tips. they will work and are cheap.

You might look around for a, slightly used, "Pulled off", Barrel, in .243 Win as .243 is, a VERY popular cal., in Rem 600- 700's
Usually, they go for about, $ 50. to $90.00 for "good" barrels, Plus Gunsmith, "Fitting" / Headspacing .
Try looking on Accurate Shooter for, Gunsmith, "take off' Rem Barrels ( Check for correct, Thread size )
I don't know, IF, the 600 and 700 barrels, are interchangeable.
Good Luck !

With everything said, I have a gone a completely different way for my Grandson. Built a lightweight AR in 6.8. The gun is light, doesn't kick with a break, stock will fit him from about age 5 until he gets a bolt gun. You could do this in 6.5 or 6.8 and build it no heavier than your 600. After the little one gets a gun of his own you would still have a very useful rifle. My Grandson is only 3 now, and for now its mine to shoot hogs with, but that's my plan. Didn't cost much to build it and it was fun. Very accurate too.

My grandson, will be using, my AR in .223 Rem with, the collapsible stock / short bbl and 65 grain, Sierra SPBT's GK's
for, his FIRST Deer Hunt,.. THEN, the the .243 Tikka later.

My grandson, will be using, my AR in .223 Rem with, the collapsible stock / short bbl and 65 grain, Sierra SPBT's GK's
for, his FIRST Deer Hunt,.. THEN, the the .243 Tikka later.
Plus little ones "Get" red dots much faster than scopes or open sights. Easy peasy to get the heigth right on an AR to fit them properly. Best platform I've found for teaching most anyone to shoot. Just because they don't kick and will fit just about everyone! Paint it pink if you have EBRS.

Years ago, on a combo Mulie/Elk hunt on horseback my go to .270win didn't make it off the plane. Airlines didn't locate it for two weeks. The guide handed me a Remington Mohawk 600 in .243win. It was shooting some flavor of 100gr bullets. I felt woefully under gunned. The guide also gave me an early encarnation of a range finder and told me to keep my shots under 500 yds. Keep an elk shot under 250. This stubby little .243 made me feel really uncomfortable. On day 2, he found me a nice bull at 160yds. He told me how much bullet drop to compensate for at that range. I fired. The elk seemed to quiver. I know I hit it because of a puff of dust off the fur. The rifle didn't kick at all, and the elk was still walking around. I had another round chambered but the guide said that the elk was going down. It walked about 15yds from where I shot it and went down on its knees then rolled on its side. I was a bit more comfortable with the little rifle. The next day, while in camp, I walked to the latrine and saw several mule deer in a meadow about 200yds out. I went back to the tent, got the 600 and used the back wall of the latrine as a brace. One shot the big mulie flipped like a truck it. My hunt for that day was over. Still had one mulie tag to fill which I did on the last day. Guide spotted one which we ranged at 525yds. I took his hold over advice and knocked it down on the first shot. It got up and stumbled for about 80 yds then folded up. I had a new respect for this little rifle and tried to buy one when I got home. Couldn't find a model 600 so I bought a model Seven. It's been a favorite of mine ever since. When on guided hunts my .270 is still my go to but I always have the .243 with me incase I need a back up. Over the years I've had 2 scopes go whacky on the .270 and had to use the .243. Filled out my tags just the same.

17" barrel is not going to get the most out of any cartridge, especially not an overbore like the .243, muzzle blast would be plenty.
I believe the 95 grain weight to be the ideal at around 3000fps and have shot everything from a cane toad to a bull with them never had a issue.
I'm not sure what your expectations are but I would go lighter not heavier for a short barrel with most likely a 1:10- 1:9.25 twist.

Last edited:
Then I would get the older son a new rifle of his own, and suffer through the .243 one more time with the little one. Try the 55gr ballistic tips. they will work and are cheap.
The 55s will at least get some velocity up in the short barrel.

I'm not against .243 but

Using the light hammers at $1 a pop is a cheap option to get results. It's only cosying you as you use it

I use Nosler when I can and will pay $1 per projectile fit for purpose as it's the cheapest part of the hunt.

One good hit is cheaper than 3 on the same animal