Talk to me about the Howa 1500

I have built 3 semi custom rifles using HOWA actions. Easy to true the actions and easy trigger adj. On one of them I put a Basic trigger on it and LEE Six rigid fiberglass/kevlar stock with glass & pillar bedding it shoots the best. All mounted to Dan Lilja barrels. Howa makes the Weatherby actions... Or is it Vs vs

Last edited:
I purchased a new Weatherby SS-2 in 300 Weatherby magnum in 2012. I added stock stiffener to the forend, bedded the action using Brownell's Steel Bed, and free floated the barrel. The factory 2 stage trigger was set at the factory to 2.75 lbs. and was very crisp with minimum overtravel. I replaced the scope 3 years ago with Leupold VX-6 that has the lighted Boone and Crocket retical. This gun will shoot 168 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets ahead of Reloader 23 into consistent .5 to .75 3 shot groups. This is my go to rifle for all of my mountain hunting. While the scope cost twice what the rifle did, its still a bargain rifle in my book. Howa builds a very good rifle, and based on my experience, I would recommend them to anyone who has budget limitations. I have rifles that cost twice what I have invested in the Vangaurd, but they don't shoot any better.

Just finished the recommended 20 shot break in with a Grendel Heavy Barrel. Used 3 different 120gr bullets...4 powders and 18 powder loads. FPS started at 2175 up to 2539...and all 20 shots would fit in 3" circle !! Can't wait to see how well Grendel shoots after final load development. My only dislike is magazine extends below flush and can be opened by mistake...but I can remedy that.
Buy it !! For the $$ and my maximum 200 yard shots I'm very impressed and happy 20190824_173747.jpg

Bought a 223 and a 308 many years ago. I gave my brother has the 223 and my son has the 308.
Just recently I bought a Howa Mini Mauser in 6.5 Grendel. Glass bedded, and adjusted the trigger, mounted a one piece 20moa base, luepold rings and my NF NSX 3;5 -15 Scope. Killed several coyotes, 300+ prairie dogs and last week dumped a nice buck and a hog.
The Howas are well made rifles and are easily improved. They are accurate from the factory. Minor personnel modification suit my needs.
I have allot of rifles but at 73 most of my time is spent with my grand kids hunting jackrabbits, ground squirrels and coyotes. So they now have my 22s, and my Benalli 20ga manfrotto which my grandson just smoke 23 whitewings, morning and eurasian doves.
My 243 is now in the hands of a great friend and the 6.5 Grendel has taken over 70% of my hunting shooting preference.

Attachments

• DSC01187.JPG
    DSC01187.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 95
  • thumbnail (12).jpg
    thumbnail (12).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20181219_091419.jpg
    20181219_091419.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
I have a 300 Whby Mag vanguard. Got it several years ago and deer hunted with it since the first rifle out of the case on opening morning. The stock trigger is adjustable and good but really pay attention you can make it not shoot or not go on safety when adjusting. I replace mine with a Timney and set it 2.5 pounds love it. The only thing I would suggest is a stock and bedded that will be the best money spent. I hit a silhouette at 1336 yards with factory barrel 5 out of 7 shoots first two were low .4 mill up and good to go and a lot more than that between 700 to 1100 yards. Great rifle and good to build up over the years. Did mine over a 5 year build and ended up with exactly what I wanted.

I like Tikkas, Savage 10/12,Remington and Howa/Vanguard. If I were looking for a rifle that met the criteria you stated in your first post of being inexpensive (not cheap, that would be Axis and Ruger American) I would start with either a Vanguard or Howa 1500. Barrel break in fairly specific in the shoot, clean, let it cool procedure, the added bonus of a 24" barrel in most calibers. I'm thinking of a 7-08 and the Vanguard will likely be my first choice because of overall quality and barrel length. I would like a little tighter twist but it should still work fine if I don't go too heavy on bullet selection. If you don't buy it, let us know, I don't think it will available long.
Add on, new Vanguards are around $460. wholesale FYI

. My only dislike is magazine extends below flush and can be opened by mistake...but I can remedy that.

Find a previous S&W 1550 or Mossberg 1550 and they will have a flush mounted detachable magazine. Don't know why they stopped making them.

My first Howa was a .25-06 Gameking combo with Nikko Sterling scope and Hogue stock (not the aluminum block). Second was the Randy Newberg with HS precision stock and Leupold Scope (haven't shot this one yet). The group below is 3 shots at 100yds with the .25-06.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 100
Question about Howa. I understand Weatherby Vanguards are made by Howa, too? I know Randy Newberg really is sold on Howas. What's the opinion of the related Weatherby Vanguards. Maybe in 30-06 for western hunting in a mountain type rifle.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I'll be sure to take the Howa seriously in any future considerations. The one I was looking at was on an auction and went up in price very quickly so it's not mine. But good talk nonetheless.

Howa/Vanguard's are really nice rifles and even better if you upgrade them. Here is my Weatherby Vanguard that I found a 13twist Palma barrel for and a Richards Microfit Marksman stock. It is a 300 Wby and sends Berger 175 otm's out accurately. The Crux can has made even better. I think you will be pleased with if even you have tweak it a little.

Attachments

• 20190830_200523.jpg
    20190830_200523.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.