Talk to me about 8mm cartridges and bullets

I packed my browning about 325 wiz bang for years.It was real good to me nice light mountain rifle. My son has kinda adopted it from me as a back up
IMG_0007.JPG

I packed my browning about 325 wiz bang for years.It was real good to me nice light mountain rifle. My son has kinda adopted it from me as a back upView attachment 437446
THAT is an AWESOME Trophy!!!
We shoot a 325WSM with 200gr.AB
What was the LOAD in your 325 WIZ?
What a hunt that must have been!!!!
Jill is like cash in the IRA and let's go hunting!

My first was a BDL which was a recoil pussycat. Somewhere along the way it went down the road without me. Then to a 7STW which got me hankering for the big 8 again (same brass, save money lol). Well that one is a semi-custom built on a (tank action) CZ 550 Safari action with a PacNor light (#2 or 3) barrel @ 28" in a Bell & Carlson sporter stock. 3/4 moa is the best I can do but that's just me. Recoil is a little heftier than the Remington was and I'll blame that on my aging and the B&C stock.

img001.jpgP8080002.JPGPB180001.JPGPB180002.JPGPB180003.JPG

Upcoming, I'm building an 8x68s on a commercial Mauser action with a Carbon 6 magnum profile CF barrel @ 26", and I found a used, light colored, squirrely, swirly (guessing) English or Claro (California) oak stock to refurbish, hoping for a very cool coming out in the Fall.

Brass and bullets are not really a problem as I pick them up when available and honestly, I don't do much shooting with the big 8 outside of hunting season. It's not a range day friendly rifle. But then the 8x68s might be...??

I should have noted that I have added an APA brake to the 8 mag that I haven't tried yet. I'm hoping that will get me back down to a more comfortable level of recoil. I have the same solution in place for the forthcoming 8x68s...

A note for the curious: the squirrely stock has a patch on the side showing. Because this stock was originally on a varmint rifle it was robust. Someone tried to take a lot of weight out of the buttstock by boring it out. In refinishing it, I hadn't noticed how close to the exterior the boring had been done. The result of sanding to refinish was a very thin spot that needed epoxy support. I wish it's appearance fit a little better.

Last edited:
I should have noted that I have added an APA brake to the 8 mag that I haven't tried yet. I'm hoping that will get me back down to a more comfortable level of recoil. I have the same solution in place for the forthcoming 8x68s...

A note for the curious: the squirrely stock has a patch on the side showing. Because this stock was originally on a varmint rifle it was robust. Someone tried to take a lot of weight out of the buttstock by boring it out. In refinishing it, I hadn't noticed how close to the exterior the boring had been done. The result of sanding to refinish was a very thin spot that needed epoxy support. I wish it's appearance fit a little better.
Cool cartridges. Not everyone has one. My .358 Norma has surprisingly light recoil…no brake…but it is a heavy gun with a looooong barrel.

I'm not a huge fan of brakes. The older I get the more I'm realizing I think I've always struggled with flinching NOT because of the recoil but because of the muzzle blast. I can take a hard hit haha no problem but super loud and concussive guns seem to intimidate me and I have no insecurity admitting that here

Maybe not just loud…but when you feel that pressure wave hit your face and slap your ears, really don't care for that.

My .300 win has an adjustable brake…I leave it closed and shoot better that way.

Last edited: