Talk to me about Barrel Tuners

Timnterra

Eric Cortina has really got me thinking hard about getting one of his tuner muzzle brakes. I have never used a barrel tuner but the concept seems sound. I think the way I would utilize it would be to develop the load with the most consistent velocity and completely ignore group size. My theory is that then I could use the barrel tuner to tune the barrel to the load. Has anyone done this with any success? What are your experiences with barrel tuners? I know they have been used by rimfire guys because they can’t change the loads so they tune the rifle to the ammo but it’s all new to me.

Attachments

• E5B3DE8F-3CBC-4E9B-8EEA-461977CACA48.jpeg
    E5B3DE8F-3CBC-4E9B-8EEA-461977CACA48.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 79

nealm66

They work! I’d compare them to bullet seating somewhat so it may not bring an extremely bad grouping all the way in but probably depends on barrel/tuner size. I’ll be trying to force a 6.5-300 to like a 156 berger this Wednesday with one of those ugly rubber things. No idea how it grouped, just shot for velocity. Also be tuning a 22 creedmoor with an ats tuner, 25-06 with 90gr AH’s also with the rubber thingy. Hopefully it will go pretty quick, I got a buddy coming to help

nealm66

One thing I’ll say which works the best for me is shooting at 200. I can see the spread better than at 100 and it helps eliminate the variables at further distances. For some reason it helps my click data as I go for further targets if I’m zeroed at 200. No idea why and could just be me lol

gvjm

I have 2 Harrells precision barrel tuner brakes. I got outstanding results from the one I put on my 7 mag Thompson Compass. 1/2 MOA is the norm for that rifle now and recoil is almost non existent! I bought one for a 16” 300 Hamr to tighten up my 150 grain groups. It didn’t make a difference. But they’re only $90 so I decided to try it.

RckyMtnRutt

Havent used one yet but i highly doubt he is out shooting f-class with a barrel tuner. Which means if you reload you should be able to tune a load for your gun. Kind of interesting but but i have had good luck working on seating powder charges etc to get 1/4-1/2 in groups

nealm66

I have a Browning 300wm A bolt that came with the BOSS system it worked great. When I hunted I would put the CR on to keep the noise down
Man, I had the Winchester 70 with the boss in 300 win mag. Loved that rifle but I used it for everything including long distance rock gun with my buddies and didn’t take too long to roast the barrel so I sold it for the action. Live and learn

asd9055

Man, I had the Winchester 70 with the boss in 300 win mag. Loved that rifle but I used it for everything including long distance rock gun with my buddies and didn’t take too long to roast the barrel so I sold it for the action. Live and learn
You can still find them. I have two M70 in 300wm. One is has never been fired.

Recent Posts