Talk to me about the 260 AI

Creedmoor shooter

Im getting ready to order the barrel for my first build. Its going on a savage short action. Ive been dead set on the Creed until the 260 AI caught my eye. Im just looking for some load data with some velocities and a rough estimate on barrel life. Also, would it cause me OAL or feeding issues in a short action? Thanks in advance!

The 260 Remington was designed as a short-action cartridge. It's pretty much just a necked down 308 Winchester.

Heavier, longer bullets might require you to seat them deeper than you really want to, taking up some of the space that could otherwise be filled with powder. The AI version is going to be the same in that regard, as far as I can see. Even the non-AI version should be slightly faster than the Creedmoor with the same bullet (according to the Nosler Reloading Guide #8).

I'm a newbie at this stuff, but when I decided I wanted a 6.5mm-something, I looked real hard at both the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creed.
Currently putting together a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag.

How long is the mag on the savage SA? I would not build a 260AI on something I could not load to 2.900. The 260AI has more velocity than the 6.5 creedmore on average but the creedmore is great in a short action.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

How long is the mag on the savage SA? I would not build a 260AI on something I could not load to 2.900. The 260AI has more velocity than the 6.5 creedmore on average but the creedmore is great in a short action.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Im not sure ill have to measure it. My brother has a Savage in he 6.5 creed and he loads it out to the lands with plenty of room left.

I believe a Savage short action can feed a 2.9" cartridge. Either way both are good cartridges, if you are setup for the Creed, go with that and don't look back. :Dgun)

I built a 260AI on a Rem short action..I was planning on the Creed,but my smith talked me into the 260 AI..

I am glad he did..

With 140 VLD's I can get 2950 fairly easily and it puts me right on the heels of the 6.5-284..

While I cannot guite get to a OAL of 2.90, my gun regularly shoots into a half inch so no problems there..

Good luck

I built a 260AI on a Rem short action..I was planning on the Creed,but my smith talked me into the 260 AI..

I am glad he did..

With 140 VLD's I can get 2950 fairly easily and it puts me right on the heels of the 6.5-284..

While I cannot guite get to a OAL of 2.90, my gun regularly shoots into a half inch so no problems there..

Good luck

Wow great numbers! What loads and barrel length are you using?

I am glad he did..

Good luck

Whats your load with that? What length barrel do you have? Im planning on building either one with a 26in barrel. I used to have a Ruger in 6.5 creed with a 24 in barrel and i could launch a 140 a-max at 2880. How much of a pain is it to fire form?

Well you still have options. You can convert & run it as single shot, turn off ejection, open the port a bit. But if your current plan puts bullet bearing in or near neck donut area after seating testing, that's a bad plan. You'd be better to go 6.5x47L and run 130gr bullets(another excellent cartridge).

Well you still have options. You can convert & run it as single shot, turn off ejection, open the port a bit. But if your current plan puts bullet bearing in or near neck donut area after seating testing, that's a bad plan. You'd be better to go 6.5x47L and run 130gr bullets(another excellent cartridge).

This is going to be my main hunting rifle so i dont want it to be a single shot. I have thought about a 6.5x47 but as far as i know only lapua make brass for it correct? I dont want to be limited to one company and i honestly cant afford to shoot Lapua brass.

I am running a 26 inch Shilen Select Match, 1 in 8 twist..

I put a Legacy clip that gives me a little more room for bullet seating..It is also a single stack and that really helps with feeding..

47.3 gr IMR 4831 with Fed LR primers.. Powder was hard to come by when I had it built and IMR 4831 was about the only viable powder I could find.. Now that other powders are available I haven't looked because this load shoots GOOD..

No problems with fireforming..I shoot a light load of RE 17 with 123 Amaxes for that and even those shoot very well..

Lapua 260 brass and I can't seem to wear it out,so there is not all that much fireforming to do..

I already had a short action for the build so didn't consider a long action.

My brother also has a 260 Ack built on a Winchester short action shooting 143 ELDX's with no problems either..

My 260AI in action..

Click the pic,

Recent Posts