Why is there not much talk about Weatherby Rifles?

I have two, a Vanguard in 22/250 Rifle shot very poorly , I replaced the bbl,stock and trigger with custom after market stuff,its a tac driver now. Also a MK V originally in 338-378 Mag. That rifle also shot poorly ,replaced bbl with a Bartlein ,converted it to 257 WBY Mag and its also a Tac driver .

Side note. I won't get into the stories but has anyone noticed lack of good QC since they moved to sheridan

I have several accumark v rifles and getting ready for a 257 accumark next. They are nice rifles that cycle well, triggers are very good out of the box and so far very accurate. I am a lefty and they fully support left handed actions and rifles. Not sure why more companies don't? For $1500-1900 you get a 9 lug, smooth action with nice trigger, a fluted bolt and fluted stainless barrel and muzzle break where needed. Don't see where that is over priced compared to other rifles with those upgrades. The vanguard is also a nice lesser expensive option which is a Howa based rifle. My friends who own them love them. Just my 2 cents.. biggest draw back for a safari or dangerous game, is the lack of controlled feed option

i personally have never fired one but i know there isnt ever much talk on here about them. Is it due to not a ton of aftermarket support (im assuming that never really looked) and we all like messing with rifles lol. Are they just not a well built rifle for the price? Not accurate? Just wondering.
It seems to me from what I've seen & heard ( on the east coast anyway ) that back in the 60's & 70's... perhaps into the 80's as well that Weatherby rifles were a " status symbol " for more affluent ppl. They have always been beautiful rifles with reputations for quality made very accurate very expensive ( compared to everything else avail off the rack ) & the exclusivity of having their own proprietary ammunition ( also much more expensive that all other avail off the shelf ammo) drew certain types of ppl to them. I remember being at the gun range or hunt club as a youngin & someone broke out their Weatherby & it was like pullin into a drive in in a 63 vette with a stripper next to ya. Instant rock star status. I've gotten to shoot a few diff cal Weatherbys thru the yrs ( other ppl's, never owned one) It was never practical to me to spend that kind of money on a beautifully fine crafted rifle, only able to shoot 1 kind of ammo ( that off the " beaten track, ya could not find in a gun shop or sporting goods shop ) to take it in the kind of places I hunted in & get it beat up, scared up, dinged up, muddy, wet etc. But perhaps that novelty/status symbol view got worn out/out grown & too many other much more affordable & practical quality made rifles & variety of ammo selections simply phased them out. Well, thats my 2 cent take on them from 58yrs around guns, hunting & shooting sports.

I wont hunt much with my wood stocked rifle if I can ever find one I like. I would have to carry it to the stand in a Fleece Lined case of course. I hunt with this one below

Attachments

• IMG_0122 (1).JPG
    IMG_0122 (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0136 (1).JPG
    IMG_0136 (1).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 147
Weatherby Vanguards are hard to beat for the $. Even the inexpensive S2 has a moa warrantee out of the box... I bought a used 257 Wby MOA Vanguard at a gun show that would not group. After a call to the factory I sent it to them. In 3 weeks it arrive back at no charge shooting half-moa!. I have built several bench rifles using vanguard actions that are accurate and strong. Their weight is a little heavy for a Hunting rifle but good for customs. The only negative is their triggers need help....Oh! if your build on a Vanguard action do not use very early actions because the bolts have firing pin problems.

Still have my Dad's .300 Mark V German action and it is still beautiful and shoots well. As a kid, the family outing to pick it up at Roy's shop on Firestone in LA was better than going to Disneyland. He loved it and hunted a lot with it. I am a big fan of the cartridge and got a stainless .300 Vanguard for a cold wet New Mexico elk hunt. Shoots sub-moa with 180gr partitions and did the job at 340 yds on a nice bull. Got the same caliber in the heavier barrel Mark V Accumark that I am starting to play with at longer ranges.
Always wanted a .257 Roy and recently got a cerakoted Vanguard that is shooting sub-moa with 80gr ttsx out of the box (love the SR71 analogy). Want to try the 100gr ttsx but trying to find them here in Kalifornia seems to be a challenge. Anybody have experience with them? These rifles are my favorites.
This is a great site and you guys really are a treasure trove of knowledge and experience! Much Thanks!

i personally have never fired one but i know there isnt ever much talk on here about them. Is it due to not a ton of aftermarket support (im assuming that never really looked) and we all like messing with rifles lol. Are they just not a well built rifle for the price? Not accurate? Just wondering.

55Stone,
I think it's about nostalgia, good wood, bright blueing, great calibers, and a price that's within reach of most hunters. I've owned over 15 Wearthby rifles '..., over my years in the field, in many models and calibers mostly MkV they've all shot quite well some of them have shot exceptionally well.
I never had one that I didn't like; they are the quintessential traditional hunting rifle as is the original pre-64 model 70 and the model 94... you just have to want the feeling of a'..., rich history in your hands while in the field.
You've got to love wood and steel to know the feeling.

I love Weatherby cartridges. Some of the best ballistics out there!

However, I'm not sold on their action. The 9 locking lug just does not seem practical or functional. Each action would need to be completely blueprinted to ensure consistent bearing on all lugs equally. My experience is most manufacturer don't blueprint the action unless it comes out of the custom shop.

I own three Weatherby mark V . The .270 Weatherby Mag was purchased new in 1979 , the 300 Weather mag was purchased used from the gun shop I used to work in, and the third is my Weatherby Ultralight, in 270 Win. Purchased used from Gander Mtn . My hands down, go to, favorite Deer rifle. They all shoot very well with handloads. When I was selling Guns in the gun shop, most first time hunters were usually asking for " a Good ,Cheap rifle". We sold many , many Remington ADL's. The Weatherby's were considered ,by many, to be for just the 'Rich Guys" . Ammo was expensive , Striker One ; all the cartridge's back then were labeled Magnum, so they were thought to "Kick hard " Strike two; and the fancy shaped stock, in High Gloss finish was just to outrageous , for many hunters. It was often nearly double the price of the Win Model 70 , or the 700 BDL, or the Ruger 77. The first time hunter often brings in his expert uncle, who at some point says " I get a deer every year with my Remington , you don't need that fancy S@#% t . So we sell another ADL, in .308 or 30 -06 . IMHO, for those who appreciate quality , Weatherby is an excellent rifle, with fine fit and finish, and great accuracy, and great customer service department. I have completely enjoyed mine, for many years .

I don't like he bolt throw on my mark V. I don't see the purpose of the 9 little lugs either. They're generally accurate just not my glass of bourbon!