Who's stretching it out with a 270 WSM?

Guys please let me try to answer all the above questions on this post if I can?

For the gentlemen who asked about the brass we are using currently for our testing? We are using Norma brass right now for our 270 WSM testing.

The gentlemen who asked the length of the new EOL .277 caliber 170 grain Berger bullet? It will be 1.520 in overall length.

Now the twist rate Mr. Litz has calculated this for me and he recommends nothing slower then a 1-8.5 twist. For my rifles I just went ahead with a 1-8 twist.

Lastly the drop in Savage barrels? I am sorry man but I just do not know? I would find out if they even make the 1-8 twist barrels in .277 cal. My guess would be not? But I cannot honestly tell you. If you end up going towards a custom barrel I would go with a Schneider polygon like we use. They really like the Berger bullets.

Thanks guys.

i like this thread you guys have going. i was wondering if any of you have one of these long range 270wsm on a weatherby vangaurd action? i have one chamberedin 270 wsm rite now and would be interested in rebarreling it with a fast twist and go to a 26" barrel maybe in a magnum contour.

how difficult would it be to do on this action as i only have experience building savage based guns?

could i still run this action as a repeater with these larget bullets?

If you are into 270's, I have something you may be interested in. I have a new 270 weatherby mag that was built to shoot long range. I have had it for a year now, and haven't mounted a scope on it. (While I was waiting for my 270 to be built, I purchased a 7mm rum and decided to make it my long range rifle.)I shot it 4 times thru a chrono to see what speeds I was getting and that's all it's been shot. It has a blued shillen #6 fluted barrel with a muzzle break on a vanguard action and a A2 field tactical stock by mcmillian. I am only selling this because I need money to purchase a 375 chey tac from a guy I work with. I don't know all the gunsmithing details, but can get them or give you his number. He said 1800 would be the least he would take for it, but I am looking for an offer. I can send pictures by cell phone if you would like to see any.

I shot a 130 grain barnes at 3590 fps. Granted, the barnes would not be my choice for longrange. But a smoker anyway.
Jamie
304-813-5704 cell

I'm looking to spend 1800 or a less on a rifle+scope... but thank you for your info and offer! It sounds like a helluva rig!

Thanks for answering my question about the new EOL .277 bullet length Bob.

For those interested; i went on to JBM ballistics to play with the Miller stability calculator. In a 270 WSM, 9 twist barrel, at 2,900fps, in 10*F weather, and 30.00hg (a cold day at sea level) the stabiltity factor is 1.217. Most people recommend a stability factor of 1.4 for a just in case condition. The bullet does not destabilize unless it has an SG of 1.0.

So for those of you who have a 9 twist 270 WSM (like me) unless you are at sea level in sub zero temps you will likely be able to stabilize the 170 Berger EOL. I plan to try it for sure since the worst hunting conditions i am usually in are about 20*F and 26.00hg (which would give me a SG of 1.434). As temp and elevation go up the stability does as well.

Im sure Brian Litz was giving the minimum twist for comfortable stability (SG 1.4) in the worst conditions which is understandable for recommending a twist.

MuleHunter, your posts on SH about your 270 WSM inspired this whole train of thought I've got going on here! I really like that rig you've got.

Thanks.

I can't wait until the Berger comes out.

When my G7 rangefinder gets here i plan on testing the Matrix bullets bc out to the edge of subsonic (1,400yds+). I will test the berger too when i get my hands on some. Im also going to test all three tipped, and not tipped.

Alright guys, it's been done. kimber Montana 270 WSM is going to be the one!

Now... let's talk about some loads. I'm thinking 130 and 150 SSTs, with Retumbo and H4831sc. Maybe some Magpro. What are you guys thinking?

Alright guys, it's been done. kimber Montana 270 WSM is going to be the one!

Now... let's talk about some loads. I'm thinking 130 and 150 SSTs, with Retumbo and H4831sc. Maybe some Magpro. What are you guys thinking?

140 Accubonds over RL-19, at 31-3200fps. & 150 Innerbonds over IMR-4831 at around 3050fps.
Or step it up to Matrix bullets with a faster twist pipe.
I wouldn't bother with 130's unless they're Barnes, nor would I bother with SST's in any configuration.
Just my opinion.

SST's a no go for you winmag? I'll likely just shoot paper/steel with them and poke holes in soft targets with an AB/NBT. maybe even a Partition for nostalgic purposes.

SST's a no go for you winmag? I'll likely just shoot paper/steel with them and poke holes in soft targets with an AB/NBT. maybe even a Partition for nostalgic purposes.

Ya. I really liked the .525 bc so I loaded up a bunch with IMR-4831. Load tested for my 270WSM & my dads. Both were easily under MOA without much effort. Both liked to be pushed hard. But after shooting a pile of them thru a piece of 1/2" plywood into a dirt/sand bank @450, I only recovered 2 bullets, & 1 of them had the lead fall out when I cleaned it off. The rest were complete catastrophic terminal failures, complete core jacket separation, & frags. NOT a controlled expansion bullet as I expected, & NOT what I wanted for a rifle I hunt with.
I shot Accubonds next, same day, new plywood, cut out of the same original sheet, same distance, same dirt/sand bank, & easily recovered enough to get an idea of how they performed in comparison. I left the rest in the dirt.
I wish Nosler made a 150-160Accubond for .277, but they don't. Innerbonds, & SST's are supposed to be almost identical load data wise, so I recomended them over the SST.
The SST's did fly nicely. & if I was just punching paper I'd give em a go again, especially for the cost comparison to Nosler, but I don't see myself ever using one for hunting.

New to this site but had to reply on this thread, I have a 270 WSM Win w/ 26" #5 Hart barrel. It shoots the 150 BTSP Sierra at 3200fps w a healthy dose of RE-22 close to 1/2" @ 100yds . Have not tried anything VLD yet though, I have shot a 130 bonded and wasn't impressed

New to this site but had to reply on this thread, I have a 270 WSM Win w/ 26" #5 Hart barrel. It shoots the 150 BTSP Sierra at 3200fps w a healthy dose of RE-22 close to 1/2" @ 100yds . Have not tried anything VLD yet though, I have shot a 130 bonded and wasn't impressed

Niiiice. You have good taste.
My current build is wearing a 26" fluted #4 Hart with a 10 twist for my 300WSM on my long action Model-70.
Glad you found LRH.

Dicking around on Shooter, and stuff is looking nice. Drops/drift with the 140 SST look great-should end up needing less than 20 MOA to 1,000, if I can run them up around 3100+. Should be able to with the 24" barrel.

I may even elect to run an SST into a deer or elk, just to see for myself :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.