NooB Advice - gonna stretch it out.

tonynoriega

...My shooting skills that is.

Noob to the field of hunting and long range shooting. This is really my first year with my own rig and doing some hunting here in Idaho.

I was lucky enough to have a great hunting partner and tagged out this year with my first small buck and bull elk.

In any case, I have a Savage 116 .30-06 (the Trophy XP package from Cabelas) using a Nikon 3-9x40.

I was able to take both deer and elk at just about 150 yds. I can put rounds in a pretty good area at 200 yds.

I am using (currently) Rem 165 grain core lokt rounds.

I think my task this year is to bump up my scope to maybe a 4-14x50 or somewhere close, and hoping to stretch my shots somewhere near 500 yds and be confident. 300 yards should be my "I can do that no problem" range.

200 yds to zero in.

If I can land a bigger scope, and bump up my grain to a 180 ( I heard there is a 220?)

Is my Savage .30-06 capable enough to take down a mature elk at, lets just play pretend here, 400-500 yards with a well placed shot?

I know various factors play into it like "the shooter" and geo elements...but I just want to know if what I have is enough to harvest at that range...

I dont want to invest the time or money if a .30-06 cant get it done.

thanks all.

First, Practice and upgrade according to your interests and goals. Your practice for the most part will provide a good indicator of your range capabilities. After determining your range capabilities you can match bullet impact velocity and energy to the corresponding game animal. For energies, I like to keep this above 1500 but others will say less is acceptable.

I agree with MMRES 1500ft/lbs is a safe amount of energy.

I think optics and ammunition are the first thing that you should start paying attention to. The 06 should do very well at 3-5 hundred yards, but i would suggest consistently pushing yourself. After practicing at 700 you will be drilling those 300 yd targets with ease.

And to directly answer your question a 30-06 is very capable of harvesting game out past 500yds. Heavy for caliber bullets will increase youre range and proficiency. If i were shooting an 06 i would be shooting 200+gn

Sounds like your on the right track for your first year! And big congrats on a buck and an elk in your first season.
Lets just go out and make it very clear that the 06' is ultra capable of 500 yards and I would hesitate to shoot deer out to 650-700 yards depending on load.

The first thing I would do is rethink your optics. If 500 yards is your max range, 14x isn't really needed. I'm not saying that 14x isn't nice, but I would rather have a little more on the low end if your not going past 1000 yards. I have shot to 1000 yards with a 10x and it is very doable. You can get a lot of scope for your dollar if its a 10x.

Second- Start hand loading. Start by using someone else's equipment if possible and eventually get your own. IT IS WORTH IT. Accuracy is much better usually with hand loads as well as cost is less. If your stuck with factory loads then look into HSM or black hills (if they make 06') and look for high"ish" b.c bullets. When you find one that shoots BUY SEVERAL BOXES OF THE LOT. Lot diffrences can be significant.

Third- Glass bed the rifle. I don't even shoot a rifle without bedding it first.

Fourth- Watch some video on rifle shooting positions. Rifles Only, Defensive Edge and other have grate video on this matter as well as a wealth of good vids on youtube. A bi-pod is also a plus, as well as a rear bag and a proper sling (not just for carrying).

Make sure you have a clean crisp trigger. Breaking a trigger clean is as important as an accurate rifle.

When you impose a 500 yard limit on yourself, it greatly simplifies things. A 30-06 will cleanly take an elk to 500 yards and even more. The biggest key to that success is shot placement but a close second place is bullet selection.

I think you should be looking at a higher BC 190 or 200 grain pill. Maybe 210. The 190 VLD is a great smaller case 30 cal bullet. When the 190 ALR ever shows up I think it will be the ultimate 308 and 3006 bullet.

Don't forget lots of trigger time.

M

Make sure you have a clean crisp trigger. Breaking a trigger clean is as important as an accurate rifle.

When you impose a 500 yard limit on yourself, it greatly simplifies things. A 30-06 will cleanly take an elk to 500 yards and even more. The biggest key to that success is shot placement but a close second place is bullet selection.

I think you should be looking at a higher BC 190 or 200 grain pill. Maybe 210. The 190 VLD is a great smaller case 30 cal bullet. When the 190 ALR ever shows up I think it will be the ultimate 308 and 3006 bullet.

Don't forget lots of trigger time.

M

+1. I use 215 bergers hybrids in mine with 60grs of h1000.

Agree, find bullet in this range your rifle works well with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.