Who's stretching it out with a 270 WSM?

TannerGun

Yeah, I know. 7mm... better bullet selection, higher BCs, yada yada. I preach it myself. But, I've recently taken an interest in a 270 WSM. My brother shoots a vanilla 270, and it wouldn't suck to be a able to buy bullets for both rifles and do a bunch of loads all at once.

I see the 150 SST has a decent BC, and the Bergers will rock at 270 WSM speeds. And those Matrix bullets... holy smokes. So, who's stretching it out with a 270 WSM?

That would be Big'n'green. He's rocking the 270 & heavy Matrix... gettin some darn good results too! Hopefully he will stop in & give you some detail.

Good Luck!

Once I have to rebarrel my 7 SAUM I'm looking at switching to the 270 WSM with the up coming 170 gr Berger Hybrid. I'm thinking the avalibility of Norma brass and the ability to push the 170 around 3100 fps will make a very deadly combo for antelope and deer.

Once I have to rebarrel my 7 SAUM I'm looking at switching to the 270 WSM with the up coming 170 gr Berger Hybrid. I'm thinking the avalibility of Norma brass and the ability to push the 170 around 3100 fps will make a very deadly combo for antelope and deer.

You make some extremely valid points. I wouldn't hesitate to run them through elk either.

I think you'd need a long pipe to push the 170s at 3100, but if you could... Wow. Theres a performer for you. I can't think of an animal in NA I wouldn't hunt with the WSM filled with 150 Partitions.

Ya, I'll shoot mine as far as I can get a rangegun)We wacked a number of elk with the 270 and 270 WSM this last season, from 85 yards to 865 yards, going from the 140's to the 165's, even in the 270 win was a major upgrade on elk. Depending on your elevation though you may need to twist them up in a 1-9 twist, I'm at 5600 plus and we do great with the 165's in a 1-10 and my WSM does well with the 175 also. The new Berger 170 should be just amazing in the WSM, with a .703 BC in the 3050 fps range it's going to be very sweet though I expect the Matrix will hold it's own!!!

I was very impressed with the job the 165 Matrix did on the bull I shot at 865 yards, what I see with these bullet that I like with elk is the sectional density is up over .300 and you can see that coming into play when you go from a lighter bullet that won't clear an elk to one of the heavy bullets that blow through them leaving a path of carnage.

The Norma brass is excellent but it is soft and you have to kinda baby it, the Rem brass is my favorite even though it takes some work to get into shape. I can buy a hundred pieces of Rem brass and it will last the life of a barrel.

B'n'g, thanks for the reply. I live at 6800 and shoot/hunt anywhere from 7000 to 10,000 feet. I think my altitude will help a bit :D

I'm suprised that a 165 stabilizes in a 1:10 for you, but also pretty stoked on that :D

I'd like to hear a little bit about your rifle... Personally I'd like to find myself a Kimber Montana and top it with a 3-9x40 with target or M1 turrets.

Oh heck, you should be high enough to rock the 165 Matrix!! Once you shoot them you won't go back, trust me the difference is huge specially when you add in some wind. I won't hesitate to blow a hole through an elk inside a grand with it!!!!

My rifle is a Savage Model 12 in a Bell and Carlson varmint stock, my optic is a cheap one, 4-14 WOTac but when I dial it goes where I crank it so it works for now. I've worn a few barrel out and the current one is a 27.5 in Lawton with a Mini Muscle brake, the reamer I used is set up with .180 free bore and .310 neck which is perfect for the 165 Matrix and I'm hoping the 170 Berger will be about right as well. The rifle is sweet but heavy, works good for near the truck :D

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/865-yard-bull-80118/

I am just finding this thread and thought I would hop on it for a minute.

I will be using a 270 WSM with our 170 grain, EOL line of .277 caliber Bergers here real soon. The B.C. for our new 170 grain is estimated to be .703. We believe that we will be getting approx 3050 fps out of our 26" rifles with it. This combination should be a real winner for the guys that want to get the most out of their 270 WSM. We will more then likely move up in cartridge class soon, but this should be one heck of a short action round with this new 170!

I will look to re-post here soon when sighting and validation are complete, plus we will be hunting with it in approx a month if all goes well.

Thanks.

B'N'G, thanks again for some more info. What speed do you push the 165s at?

Bob Beck, I'm excited to see how the 170 does for ya'll. Also... how do I get your job? Haha, but seriously... do you guys ever do any intern/apprenticeships around EOL? Last year in high-school, and I'm looking to get into the business, whether it be smithing, accurizing.. etc. If you could give me any info, it'd be great.

Hey Bob, I was wondering what twist you need to run those 170's, I have a 300wsm that im gonna atart a custom job on and was thinking a 270 wsm would be perfect for my better half to shoot.

Tanner gun. Man that is a tough question for sure. I would check with a reputable company that builds rifles and ask for schooling references near your location. We do not offer any type internships on our end.

Good luck!

I figured with a smaller setup like EOL, there probably wasn't a whole lot of need for an 18 year old with little experience on a lathe/camera :D , but it's always worth asking...

There's a couple smiths around Colorado that I may be contacting regarding something like this... thanks for your thoughts.

Bow hunter42

You will need at least a 8 1/2 twist to stabilize the 170 grain EOL/Berger's. I personally am running a 8 twist Schneider Polygon on mine.

Hey I do not know if you have seen the other thread going for the 7mm's? So to add more complications to your thoughts, we have a new 7mm 195 grain! This is the second line of EOL Berger bullets to be released this May if all goes as planned. The B.C. is a estimated .794.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.