.270 WSM

atitagain

Good evening Ladies and gents.
I have looked on here before and noticed a few .300 WSM for sale, but no .270 WSM. Is there a reason for this? Do people like the .270 WSM better?
I have recently purchased a Savage model 16 SS in .270 WSM, and was wondering what luck, performance wise, people have had. I see a lot of guns are still chambered in the .270 WSM, but I can't find a lot of range tests or ammo comparisons online. Also, I realize that every gun is different, but have you found the on average these caliber rifles tend to prefer a certain weight bullet? Any first hand info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The .270 WSM is well loved by those that use it and a few have popped up for sale over the years but not a lot. The .300 WSM is more popular which is why you see it more often.

130gr, 140gr & 150gr bullets work best in the .270 WSM. Rifles usually have a 1 in 10 rifling twist so heavier bullets aren't likely to stabilize as well. (If one wants to shoot heavier .277 bullets, the 6.8 Western would be the cartridge to get.)

As for on game performance, the .270 WSM is very good! People that have used it are quite happy with the accuracy & killing power delivered. Your new rifle will serve you well as a hunting tool.

I have had 5 of these rifles, I am now down to a Browning replica Highwall with a 28 inch octagonal barrel and a heavy barreled A-Bolt with a thumbhole stock. I have found that Accurate Magpro has given amazing velocities in this cartridge with 120 to 150 gr bullets. Often 150 fps faster than Alliant, Hodgdon or even VV N-560 powders. I have tried Reloader 17, 19 and 22 with a wide range of bullets. Reloader 17 is golden in the .270 Winchester with 110 Barnes or the coyote varmint remedy of choice but is too fast for the larger case. Reloader 19 works best with the lightest bullets in the caliber but is not slow enough for the larger case .270. Reloader 22 is pedestrian, similar to the IMR or Hodgdon branded equivalents like 4350, 4831 or 7828. I would urge you to try Reloader 26 and StaBall HD in the cartridge. I will be curious what you learn?

I have 2 .277 barrels sitting at home, one of which is going to be for a 6.8 western, which currently is 270wsm with a heavy sendero barrel on a ruger m77 mkII short action. The other is going to be a custom on a medium action in 270wsm. Just need to lighten things up but love that cartridge, the 6.8 western is going to go to one of the grandsons.

Yeah, the current configuration with the sendero barrel I'm getting sub moa with 165 ablr in front of Retumbo right at 3000f/s