270 wsm

BlackSS

I'm looking for a good all around long range rifle, budget is pretty tight so I'm looking for a used gun, and I'm left handed so there are not a whole lot of choices at the local gun shops.

The 3 available locally (so far):
Savage 308 win
Savage 110 300 win mag (w/ muzzle break and trigger work)
Savage 11 270 WSM

I'm going to continue looking, but I need some advise on focusing my search a little more.
I'm not really considering the 300 b/c of recoil and how loud it will be with the break. I'd like something my wife can shoot at the range, she enjoys shooting, but won't like a huge recoil.
The 308 is basically brand new, so it's a little more money.
If I had to pick out of the 3 I would take the 270 WSM, it's fairly new, well it is an accutrigger model anyway, it's in good shape, and I THINK my wife could shoot it.

I've never shot a 270 WSM... Would you consider a 270 WSM for an all around do it all long range gun? I have a 223 also, so I don't need a varmint gun, I'm looking for something bigger, and I'm kind of torn between the conventional 308 and the 270 WSM. Should I keep looking for a good deal on a 308 or just grab up the 270 WSM?

BTW, I'm looking at nikon monarch scopes, any input there would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Craig

IMO, get the 270 WSM, load up some 140 gr. Accu-bonds and start shooting. Personally, I think the 270 WSM would make a better long range hunting caliber and your wife should be ok, depending on the weight of the rifle and her recoil sensitivity. My wife doesn't have any problems shooting my 270 WSM and it weighs probably just shy of 8 lbs.

I agree with Tyler, but between the 308 and 270 WSM I think the performance of the 270 WSM over the 308 makes up for what it lacks in bullet selection. Given a choice...I would pick my 7 WSM over my 270 WSM for long range work.

What about the Savage 11 in 270 WSM specifically? Can it shoot 500 yards out of the box? What kind of MOA can I expect with a good factory round?

BlackSS,
I have owned, shot and reloaded for all three of these cartridges. Personally, I would first choose the .300WinMag, the .270WSM and then the .308. If the lady of the house would be shooting it also, then I'd go with the .270WSM.
I currently shoot a Savage 112BVSS in .300WM, so I am partial to it. It's heavy enough it doesn't jar my teeth loose and it shoots fast and flat. I can't see trying to "stretch" a .308 out after shooting the .300WM.
I recently traded a .270WSM that I had in the Win70 Coyote. It shot sub 1/2" groups with 130/135 and 140gn bullets. I had no problem rapping the 450yd gong at the RattleSnake Mtn Range in Richland, Washington. It was their farthest gong.
Of the original three WSM's (.300/7mm/.270) it offers substantially more muscle and speed that it's predecessor (.270Win) and is the truest "short" magnum. It offers more than the .300/7mmWSM's do when compared with their belted big brothers, the .300WM/7mmRM. Heck, they're just trying to measure up and do what the .300WM/7mmRM have been doing for 40+ years! The .270WSM blows the .270Win out of the water and doesn't lag far behind the .270 Weatherby.
Plenty of good bullets. Nosler makes Ballistic Tips in 130/140 and 150 and AccuBonds in 130/140. Their BC's are .433/.456 and .496. Berger makes VLD hunting bullets in the same three weights with BC's of .452/.487/..531. Hornady makes the 130/140/150 SST's with BC's of .460/.495/.525. Sierra makes a 115 and 135gn MK. The 135 has a BC of .488 and I can't see much use for the 115gn.
I might need to buy myself a barrel in .270WSM for my Savage! Good luck with your choice and happy shooting. JohnnyK.

Go with the 270 WSM.
I like the 7WSM a lot better but you could always put a new barrel on it later.
I talked to Kevin at Stockade Gun stocks the other day and he said he had 20 Savage 7WSM barrels that he has taken off. Give him a call he's a great guy and let him know you situation and he would probably work you a deal on one of the takeoff barrels.
My Dad has a 270 WSM and it kicks more than my 7WSM but if you load it down a little your wife could probably handle it.

I don't like the bullet selection or BC of the 270 bullets. But that's me.

I agree. Had a 270 WSM (Winchester Coyote) and ending up selling it on Gun Broker. Even in the semi heavy varmint configuration, this gun and caliber did not produce the accuracy that the short, fat cartridges were hyped to deliver. At least not with my gun.

Also, I did not see enough of an advantage over a normal 270 Win to justify messing with the short fat cases. I still (and always will) have my 270 Win in Sako 75 Deluxe Hunter flavor.

But for all around shooting and hunting out to 600 yards, you can't beat the 308 Win. I have two of those. Very accurate and easy on the shoulders.

The bullet selection is not as horrible as one might think and the BC's are modest for the .277 cals, I prefer to think that they don't need the masses of selection to get it done. Hopefully the Wildcat's will work out good, the 169.5 would be awsome if it can be pushed fast enough.
I can't run the numbers in any way that the 308 will come close to the 270 WSM, the best I could get was to run the max load I could find for a 168 Berger and still the 270 WSM, with 140's, get you 200yds more in energy and velocity.
It seems to me that the 308 just does not have the steam to take advantage of the higher BC bullets.
My accuracy has been very good out of my Savage 12, took a little to find my loads but both are under 1/2 inch, I have never shot factory ammo so can't say. Love the Accutrigger. If it has a plastic stock toss it, if wood bed it.
I think with the 270WSM could be loaded down for recoil reasons but also rammed up there for more power, I'm going down the same road you are as this season my wife may shoot mine a little as we need more sausage meat. gun)
Come to the dark side :D

Check out the Savage 110 FCP-K in .300 Win Mag. Has a really light trigger, good stock, and a muzzle brake already on it.

My wife has her own 7mm Rem Mag, so everyone takes recoil differently.

My wife elk hunts and target shoots with a 338-378 weatherby so I really don't think the braked 300 winchester would be a problem. It is by far the best choice of the three for long range hunting. Is your wife left handed also?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.