Higher elevation groups

Peotone Joe

I am shooting about a 1 1/4 inch group (2 tight and 1 high or left or right) with my 7 mag that has a 9 1/2 twist with a 175 grain Berger bullet. The calculator says (where I live 700 ft above sea lever) the twist should be 8 1/2. Where I will elk hunt it is 9300 ft above sea level. Will that group tighten up???? The calculator says it is at its max for being stable at 9300 ft.

Last edited:
I shoot a factory Savage with a 9.5 twist and the 162 ELD-X shoot great out to 600 for me. Haven't killed anything with them. The 168 Berger VLDH shoot best for my rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for elk. Just my two cents. As far as groups tightening up at higher elevations, I'm not really sure.

I shoot a factory Savage with a 9.5 twist and the 162 ELD-X shoot great out to 600 for me. Haven't killed anything with them. The 168 Berger VLDH shoot best for my rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for elk. Just my two cents. As far as groups tightening up at higher elevations, I'm not really sure.
Is that a Savage 110 High Country??? I have a Savage it does shoot great but it was too heavy for me so I bought a Tikka.

Elevation will affect your external ballistics and may get you closer to a more acceptable stability factor, but I doubt it will change your group size to a large extent. What distance are you shooting (assuming 100 yards).

I've shot several bullets that were marginally stable (1.26-1.31) and not had any issues. If your third shot is always opening your group, it's likely due to heating of the barrel. Try letting it cool longer between shots, or try another bullet and see if the same problem persists.

I am shooting about a 1 1/4 inch group (2 tight and 1 high or left or right) with my 7 mag that has a 9 1/2 twist with a 175 grain Berger bullet. The calculator says (where I live 700 ft above sea lever) the twist should be 8 1/2. Where I will elk hunt it is 9300 ft above sea level. Will that group tighten up???? The calculator says it is at its max for being stable at 9300 ft.
SG, yes; group size, no.

In 2024 I think it is possible to cut that group size in half at least. I'd definitely change bullets and try some other brands too until you find what your barrel likes...

I have a few varieties if you want a sample pack shoot me a PM.

Stability issues have a bit more to do with long range/down range performance as you near the transonic zone and the bullet is slowing down significantly. You'd have to be way out of whack to get a significant group size change.

Your flyer is either shooter induced or rifle induced. I had a 6.5-284 that did that crap all the time until I backed the load down just a touch and it became a bug holer.