Who's stretching it out with a 270 WSM?

Tanner gun,

I did not hear you mention anything about a camera on the first thread! Now that could be a different story if your trained. We are always keeping the door open for a camera person that knows what he is doing... The key is you need some experience out of the gate.

Bob I have very little experience with a camera. I'm good at working up loads, cleaning up shops, and packing out hind-quarters, along with a few other things :D

Tanner gun,

Well it just so happens I like that your good at packing Elk Quarters! When you get all done with school, send me a email. If nothing else we may be able to use you for comic relief!

Take care man.

High school ends in May... Hope you guys have some bulls to pack out by November! :)

Thanks for your time.

Hey Bob thanks for the quick reply, Im Gonna get the barrel ordered for the 270 in the next day or too thanks for the info. And yes I knew about the 195 and am excited, We are already planning on building several 7 ultras around that bullet. Really looking forward to getting my hands on some load data for it after you all get it worked out.

We will be using the 7 ultra case as well. I should be shooting these fairly soon so I will keep everyone up to speed on the results. The preliminary numbers came back off the charts. I really think we have a real winner with these two new bullets.

Take care.

The 195 EOL is the ONLY thing keeping me from trying to run the 170 EOL in the 3300fps range, should be two super sweet bullets. I like the 270 WSM utilizing the 170 for excellent ballistics without a muzzle brake, I think most chambering a guy would benefit from the 195 EOL in would need a brake, I know I need a brake on my 7mm RUM with 160gr bullets!!

I am a big baby, I will take the break on both! Nah, really when I get this 270 WSM going with the 170 grain EOL's, this rifle will more then likely turn into Chris's new pet for the year! So the break will be good for her, but I totally agree that it should be more then manageable with no break.

All my current 270 WSM barrels are braked as well but I could see building a sweet little rifle in like a Manners MCS-T with a #5 contour about 26in with an optic that was set up with a ballistic plex for normal range shooting but then give you the option to settle in and dial in a shot out to the grand range, kind of an all around rifle but with range. It would be the kind of rifle you'd find in a ranch truck in Montana!!!

My wife abuses stuff with my 270 WSM, she like the long range shooting but not as much into the hunting except for a little deer hunting so I'm thinking I'm going to twist her up a 6.5x47 Lapua.

I am a big baby, I will take the break on both! Nah, really when I get this 270 WSM going with the 170 grain EOL's, this rifle will more then likely turn into Chris's new pet for the year! So the break will be good for her, but I totally agree that it should be more then manageable with no break.
+1 on the big baby part Bob, I like to call it being spoiled myself, I just dropped my 300 wsm off with my partner to become a 270wsm, Its gonna sport a Shilen select match grade 26" 1in8, sitting in a Manners stock, after everything is Blue printed. I can't wait till those bullets hit the market and I can start working up a load for this thing. Thanks again for all the Info, and keep showing great shots on great hunts! Jay

Bob,

How long are the 170 EOL bullets?

I was playing with some numbers on JBM for stability....

I have noticed that faster twist barrels tend to lose a little velocity, if i were going 26" on my next build i would look for the minimum twist necessary to gain the most speed.

I'm planning on doing my first barrel swap on my savage model 16 270 wsm. I would like to shoot the matrix and 170 Bergers but my current barrel is an 11 twist. Would an 8 twist be the best for for these bullets? Also this may be a dumb question but can I just buy a savage drop in barrel or will I need to modify the barrel to accept these longer bullets? Any help would be appretiated.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.