Stretching the 308

I've had a few questions as to where I got that target bracket. I figure I'll just list it here to save you guys the trouble of PM'ing/emailing me.

I got the bracket as well as the target from Big Dog Steel.

Ryan is a class act, and he knows how to make a target. I wanted a portable solution, so the 4x4 bracket was of interest. I just took a 5ft length of 4x4 and cut 4 1-1/2ft 2x4's which I then screwed to the bottom. The 4x4 bracket just slips over the top and sits the full size IPSC at 6ft high. You can cut the 4x4 to whatever length you'd be comfortable with. The bracket tilts the target at a nice down angle, so the bullet fragments go right into the dirt. I'm quite impressed with the setup. Big Dog waterjet's all their AR500 too. No welding or torch/plasma cutting. Big time +1 from me.

Thinkin about building a Browning A bolt m1000 .308. Trying to find out if this is a good foundation LR rifle. I shoot the M40 and i swear by it. problem is i cant take it home. But im still trying to make the decision of whether I should start with a WSM. Such as the 300WSM or any in the WSM family. if you guys could give me some feed back it would be greatly appreciated, Semper Fidelis

I guess it depends largely on what its purpose is. One big vote for the 308 always comes from cost. The 308 is extremely cheap to shoot, especially so if you reload. I can reload a box of match grade ammo for about half the cost of the cheapest crap on the shelf. This affords you the ability to shoot it very frequently. Frequency results in proficiency!

Its definitely not the end-all be-all however. The 300 win mag is still pretty affordable, and will do the job at 1000-1500 much MUCH better than the 308. The WSM's get a little pricey.

Then there is recoil to contend with. A suppressed or braked rifle will take care of that. A straight unbraked, unsuppressed win mag will rock you pretty good.

So my recommendation would be like this: If you are just getting into long range shooting, and on a limited budget, go with a nice 308. If you have worked at extended range with the 308, and find it to be lacking, and have bigger funds available so you can feed a more expensive cartridge frequently, then go with a 300 win mag.

If money isn't an object in your shooting, maybe you want to step up even further. 338LM or edge maybe? 375CT? Gotta pay to play though, and I start to feel sick if too many days go by without having pulled the trigger. ;)

What about the old middle of the road 30-06?

30-06 is an under rated caliber for the .308 bullet. It will definitely push the 175's up to 190's with authority. I would say a 180 or 185 grain bullet would be perfect for that rifle. Set up properly, it would be a real shooter. Served well in WWI and WWII with distinction. Just not a lot of guys have them set up due to recoil, and better calibers to offer a little better ballistics. For about 10 more grains of powder you can really push the same bullet much harder in a WSM, then you can always go with the old standby 300WM. SOOOO, it is a matter of preference.

Tank

My thought is that if you are going to contend with the recoil of the 30-06, then why not have the 300WM's added power? ;)

I've been so fascinated by the .308 for so long I finally bought one I like. Back about 1998 I bought a Savage LH FP10 and got the std 3-9x40 Denver Redfield AccuTrac on it and zeroed out to 300 yrds before deciding I HATED that rifle. So I sold it to some guy. Recently I had chance to get a 1982 model Ruger 77V .308 with wood stock and heavy bbl and Leupold 3-9x40 dpx on it for a relatively bargain price. I sure luv that gun and cant wait to wring it out at long range. It aint LH but it fits me like a glove. It's as close to the long desired Rem 700V they took to RVN in the 60's as I'll ever get.

My thought was, I already have a 30-06.

Well shoot it!

The 06 will ballistically out perform the 308, so provided the thing is accurate, you've got a bird in hand vs. two in the bush.

If you are printing 1.5 moa or better with store bought hunting loads... put some match grade ammo through it and see how it does.

I do shoot all my 30-06.

I just mentioned it because it no longer has as much tacticool as the .308, but still has a ballistic edge over the .308.

I do shoot all my 30-06.

I just mentioned it because it no longer has as much tacticool as the .308, but still has a ballistic edge over the .308.

I think it is still taticool. 1903 Springfield in any variation, M1 Garand, still have a place in my heart. I think it would be neat to build a 30-06AI in a long barrel rifle with a break. Think it would be a thumper!:cool:

Tank

**** right! I love shooting my Garand and 1903A3. I can hit the 8" gong at 100 yds standing with great regularity using ball ammo.:D

Those are the only open sight centerfire guns I have besides my competition AR-15 Service Rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.