Whitetail/Range Scope

What is your choice based on information below?

• Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 4A reticle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH reticle

• Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 duplex reticle

• Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS duplex reticle

• Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP MRAD reticle

• Viper HST 4-16x44 MRAD reticle

• Total voters

BoomFlop

I am looking for a new rifle scope for my Remington Police LTR in 308. Longest shot in my life is 294 yards, most animals taken are 50-125 yards in oak woods. I would like to do some target shooting out to 300 yards or maybe further. I have the same rifle in 223 topped with a Swarovski 3-10x42 4A reticle, it is so accurate that I had to have one in 308 too.

Let me know what you think? Would like to stay in these approximate price points and from these 3 manufacturers. Post something else if you think there is a better option.

Thank you all very much, I learn a tremendous amount from all of you!

Steve

For whatever reason I can't vote but I would go with the VX-5HD. Nice light weight scope with great glass. For hunting less than 300 yards I would definitely stick to SFP scopes.

The Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 duplex reticle - with illumination (fire dot) would be great for hunting. Then get the CDS dial setup and working for the yardages you shoot. It would be nice and quick for those 300+ shots, if they happen. Also the glass is pretty good. Would be great for target shooting to 300 or over.

Here is a third vote for the VX5HD. I have an HST and a PST. I don't see the point of a FFP reticle for hunting - I guess some people like holding for elevation instead of dialing. Rangefinders are relatively inexpensive, so the rangefinding benefit of the FFP for hunting is lost on me...with 300 yards as the max, you are probably close to MPBR for the 308 depending on your target size. I love the duplex firedot reticles for hunting.

You guys feel the vx5hd is a better scope than the Swarovski or is it the CDS dial?
The magnification range, the weight, the CDS dial with the zero stop is why I voted VX5HD. I also have 2 of them with the 56mm objective. Love them. I have never owned one of the swaros that you listed, so somebody else will have to comment on them.

I have a VX6 in 2-12 power , I really like the scope . I have it on a point and shoot rifle , so I picked the Boone and Crockett reticle . it does have the cds , but I have not sent for the knob . being how well I like this scope , I have to say another vote for the VX5 you are thinking about .

I've always used Leupold VX-III's, VX3's and VX3i's. I am a huge Swarovski Bino fan as I have 8x32 EL's and 15x56 SLC HD's, so I decided to try a Z3 on my 223 Rem LTR. The glass is amazing compared to the VX3 line, however, it is a pretty basic scope features wise. I'm not sure that the VX5HD will top it on glass or not but it sure does on features. SO, do I need or want the features over glass quality (possibly)?

Honestly, at the ranges your talking about the glass shouldn't make much of a difference. I have never looked through a swaro z3 so I can't compare but the VX-5HD's are a considerable jump up from the vx3's.

I've always used Leupold VX-III's, VX3's and VX3i's. I am a huge Swarovski Bino fan as I have 8x32 EL's and 15x56 SLC HD's, so I decided to try a Z3 on my 223 Rem LTR. The glass is amazing compared to the VX3 line, however, it is a pretty basic scope features wise. I'm not sure that the VX5HD will top it on glass or not but it sure does on features. SO, do I need or want the features over glass quality (possibly)?
Man, I would go look through both of them. My buddy has a VX3i that I looked through side by side with my VX5HD- the hd glass with Leupold is pretty impressive and to me was noticeably better than the vx3i.

Another vote for the VX-5....
It has WAY better glass than the HST and better than the PST, I would put the VX-5 closer the the Razor line.
The Swaro does not have parallax adjustment

I can't say that the VX5HD's glass is as good or better than the swaro because I haven't compared the two, but I doubt you would be disappointed in the glass quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts