Which hammer?

Reloading skill is moderate. I've been doing it a few years but not a lot by most standards

You will be fine as long as you just start lower and if you know how to spot pressure which I assume you would. It's no different. I start somewhere in the middle of Load data for that weight and make a higher ladder than normal knowing it will take more powder than a standard bullet to gain the extra speed. So instead of maybe a 10 shot ladder I do 15-20 ladder just to be safe. Plus shooting is always fun

QL says 3148 fps with max load of Varget. I did not factor the short barrel into the energy calculations. Energy at 400 per AB drops to 768.

Keep in mind quickloads doesn't take into account the lower engraving pressure so he may get more than that which is typically what I get out of mine compared to quickloads.

I'd still vote 99 hammer hunter or 97gr absolute if you really wanna make it fast. If it was mine personally I'd do the 97gr absolute. Probably get more speed than the 85gr hunter.

I shoot the 110 hammer hunters over 6.5 sta ball

Attachments

• 0B3C48F4-8E18-4103-B0BB-A39F09647FED.jpeg
    0B3C48F4-8E18-4103-B0BB-A39F09647FED.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 68
Bean
The 85 HH is the go to here
is be willing to bet the 97 absolute would outpace the 85gr but I could be wrong. Not sure I see a bonus for the 85 over the 97.
I've been pondering this with my grendel. I was able to get 200fps faster with the 97 than the 99 so curious if I could pick that up even with the 85gr plus the 97 would have more weight and higher bc. Bc maybe not as I've not actually looked just guessing

Only reason I knew was because as soon as Steve released it I grabbed them for my grendel. Thinking that the faster the better for thermal hog hunting. Hard to judge distance so insight in max point blank with my Lieca 2-10 and my thermal. Swap back and forth been a great combo and may also use that bullet in a friends
Bean

is be willing to bet the 97 absolute would outpace the 85gr but I could be wrong. Not sure I see a bonus for the 85 over the 97.
I've been pondering this with my grendel. I was able to get 200fps faster with the 97 than the 99 so curious if I could pick that up even with the 85gr plus the 97 would have more weight and higher bc. Bc maybe not as I've not actually looked just guessing
That's what I was thinking when recommending the absolute I pick up any where from 150 too 200 fps with the absolute the 90 gr absolute works wonders in my 25-284 I'm sure the 85 gr would work I don't no for a fact but seems the vel of the 85 hammer and 97 gr absolute would be about the same

Bean

We have done a ton of tests and they are all good but the 85 is the king in the Needmoor, it covers all the bases and outruns everything to 400 yards

Ok, am I the only one reading this thread that could care less about another 6.5cm hammer load data thread but REALLY wants to know if there are more Franken Rugers out there??

Pictures please?

Good point. I recall one of your posts saying that some hammer data was not correct in QL.
It just doesn't line up with real world data. This is especially true for the Absolute line of bullets.

I typically (in QuickLoad) use a similar weight Cutting Edge bullet when looking for a ballpark idea with a Hammer Hunter to get a powder and starting point. But, with the spreadsheets for both bullets that we have have now, you don't have to do much guessing anymore. Most of the work has been done for you by other members.