Which caliber for mule deer

Here's my question. I have had a last minute change to go on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt in Alberta. And I don't feel like any of my rifles are completely dialed in. Calibers to choose from 300 rsaum. 308 7mm Rem mag. 308 is closest to being done. Just need to confirm data. 300 is good for 400 yds. 7mm is in the load development stage. Current load is 3/4to 1 moa I have 2 days to get one ready. What would you do

Well guys bad news and good news my 308 did not make it thru the baggage handlers without damage. The scope appears to be bent (nightforce). My son in-laws rifle arrived with a broken stock grip area. They were shipped in quality cases The cases show no sign in damage scratches dents nothing so what the crap happened !

Now the good news. Out of 4 we have 2 rifles in good shape we can hunt. Let me say 3 Rivers Adventure is an amazing place. Great folks work hard to get a animal in front of you. And ALOT of deer I was able to take a 32 in wide 178 in buck. Big shout out to Hunter Jarvis for his effort 2nd party of our group also killed his buck is gonna be in the 70s also. We have 1 more day to hunt will update

Attachments

• B4E07788-3D97-468D-81B3-D7A478646F89.png
    B4E07788-3D97-468D-81B3-D7A478646F89.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
  • FB26B05A-6507-44F5-BAFD-BBB0788F5841.png
    FB26B05A-6507-44F5-BAFD-BBB0788F5841.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 73
Well guys bad news and good news my 308 did not make it thru the baggage handlers without damage. The scope appears to be bent (nightforce). My son in-laws rifle arrived with a broken stock grip area. They were shipped in quality cases The cases show no sign in damage scratches dents nothing so what the crap happened !
Welcome to Canada some evil baggage handler or customs official has a hate on for guns!

They removed your rifle from your case and smacked the ground with it and threw it back in!!

I've never flown with a rifle but can you or can you not lock them up in a hard case?
I think they have to be available for inspection but can't you at least lock them after that? I'd jump all over the airline responsible for this. They have cameras everywhere now.

TSA says it "Has to be a locked case that can't be easily opened". What kind of case is it? Is it padded or filled with rocks? :) sorry

Depending on the type of case. One thing I heard about a polymer type of case is they don't easy show damage. They can rebound after a big blow. One thing about a metal case is they will show any type of hit, bump, ding, or scratch and the metal absorbs the impact not your gun unlike a plastic or polymer type case which can transfer through to your gun. I have an SKB double rifle case so I guess I would be susceptible to it too but I have not flown anywhere with it. mom sure even with a "handle with care" sticker on it the results would have been the same.

Skb and a pelican. You have to have a TSA lock on it so they can open the case with a tsa master key. You can not lock it with any other method is what we were told.

Skb and a pelican. You have to have a TSA lock on it so they can open the case with a tsa master key. You can not lock it with any other method is what we were told.

I guess I'll never fly with a rifle then. I would never agree to anything like that. Its open season on your property.

AE3029D6-736A-4353-91E5-69ACF3366074.png
Master key isn't true. Here are the rules. They want only you having access.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.