Which caliber for mule deer

Dirtdevil

Here's my question. I have had a last minute change to go on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt in Alberta. And I don't feel like any of my rifles are completely dialed in. Calibers to choose from 300 rsaum. 308 7mm Rem mag. 308 is closest to being done. Just need to confirm data. 300 is good for 400 yds. 7mm is in the load development stage. Current load is 3/4to 1 moa I have 2 days to get one ready. What would you do

.308 can get pushed around in even moderate wind depending on what bullet you choose, but accuracy is most important. I would do the next stage in load developement for the 7mm rem mag, and take both the .308 and 7mm out, validate the .308 and shoot the 7mm, sometimes you get lucky and find a great load right off. Then if you do, take the 7mm rem mag out and validate it as well and then if it is as good/better than the .308, you can choose. But definately get your .308 squared away so you have that if nothing else.

You haven't given us very much information to work with in order to help with your decision.

How developed is the .308 Win?
What is the bullet type and brand?
What is the bullet weight?
Have you developed a confidence with this rifle and load?

Personally, I'd be all over the .308 Win. and ignore opinions about trying to get any other rifle ready. Finish the .308 then start packing so you have time to remember what all needs to go with you.;) Passport, ammo, permission slip for the rifle to cross into Canadian air space, etc. Then consider the weather carefully and pack your clothing choices.

I hope you have a tremendous time and a successful hunt!:D

Dang never thought about the creed. I do have one of those in a 6 dialed in !!! The 308 is losded with 168 Bergers 2700 FPS under a .5 moa all day long verified at distance. Been shooting that rifle a lot for a couple of year. Recently changed from the 155s to the 168s haven't shot it much past 500 to check the dope. Only concern with this gun is the energy at 600. Looks like about 1100. Would not hesitate to use it on a whitetail That's what I put it together for. Wasn't sure if that's enough thump on a muley

1,100 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards is more than sufficient for Mule Deer. They do not wear armor plating. I've killed then out west with a 6mmXC. Precision and accuracy for shot placement will win the day for you in this hunt. Shoot one in the heart, lungs or neck and it's game over. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.