338 caliber 270 grain ELD-X vs. Mule Deer

We just shot a nice mule deer doe (kilo 2K rangefinder said 641 yards according to my son). My older son hit the doe then I immediately pumped in a round from my 300win to finish it. My son shoots a creed with a 143 eld-x and I'm running a 165 hdy fb interlock with my 300 win. I thought it was only hit once until I skinned it and found three holes. My shot angle was consistent with the in and out hit; my son's pill ended up in the stomach. The eld-x didn't penetrate worth a crap.
Two of three shots hit at 641 yards offhand on a moving critter ( I had just fired a bit in front of her as she slowed going up a rise). That's Hornady pills for you. I've run the 165 interlock fb in this rifle for around 20 years now and it just kills stuff dead as far as I want to put a bullet in offhand.
For the few who will say why not the 7stw; I had brass issues a week ago and didn't have time to re-test at the range with fresh brass. The rifle went out, but the 300win went over my shoulder when my boots hit dirt.

My friend used a .308 ELD-X on a red deer stag recently, in the back of my mind I was thinking about the mixed reports I had read on this bullet, it performed as I expected, awful, no exit wound and the inside was just mush, shot placement was perfect, but it just blew up, I appreciate they have their fan's, but I'm a Nosler Partition man.

Shot a muley this evening with my 338 Lapua improved 285 eld-m muzzle velocity 3047. Deer was shot @297yd quartering a way dime size entrance 2 ribs missing chunks liver destroyed half the heat missing bottom of lungs gone no exit no bullet recovered. This red blob was the heat.View attachment 158629
Shot this guy about 150ish yards with my 338SS 230X the insides looked the same except I had a 3-4 inch exit. deer flopped slid down bank. So far short or long the 230s are working.
I'll be running them for my late season elk hunt if I don't get my 270X load done by then.
F51910EB-4490-4E0C-B6B2-5DB95C0DB479.jpeg

My friend used a .308 ELD-X on a red deer stag recently, in the back of my mind I was thinking about the mixed reports I had read on this bullet, it performed as I expected, awful, no exit wound and the inside was just mush, shot placement was perfect, but it just blew up, I appreciate they have their fan's, but I'm a Nosler Partition man.

Sounds like it worked fine. Maximum energy transfer and controlled fast expansion. For reference, Bergers do the same thing. I've got a mixed pile of 6.5 cal through 338 cal Bergers and ELD-X bullets collected from just under the off side hide after destroying vitals on the way through.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.