Which caliber for mule deer

I would recommend the rifle that you have the most confidence in. Mulies can be difficult and can take a lot of punishment. Best offering I could offer would be to think bullet placement and be prepared for a follow up shot. Have a great hunt. MTG

If you're antisipating long range shots, anything over 400 yards the best caliber you have is the 7mm Remington Mag. Spend an afternoon, complete your ladder tests and shoot at long range targets, at least 40-50 rounds. It shouldn't take more than a day to fine tune your rifle.

I miss typed a post. I meant to say I would limit myself to 600 or less. Hopefully it will be 100 yd shot Again thanks for all the advice The weather has turned bad here with high winds and I'm out of time so the 308 is making the trip Thanks again

I switched to Hornady 162gr ELDX Factory loads in my 7mm Rem. They are consistantly 5/8" @ 100yd 3 shots cold barrel. For me that is minute of mule deer out to 500 yds.

Dang never thought about the creed. I do have one of those in a 6 dialed in !!! The 308 is losded with 168 Bergers 2700 FPS under a .5 moa all day long verified at distance. Been shooting that rifle a lot for a couple of year. Recently changed from the 155s to the 168s haven't shot it much past 500 to check the dope. Only concern with this gun is the energy at 600. Looks like about 1100. Would not hesitate to use it on a whitetail That's what I put it together for. Wasn't sure if that's enough thump on a muley
308 will do what you need to do

Here's my question. I have had a last minute change to go on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt in Alberta. And I don't feel like any of my rifles are completely dialed in. Calibers to choose from 300 rsaum. 308 7mm Rem mag. 308 is closest to being done. Just need to confirm data. 300 is good for 400 yds. 7mm is in the load development stage. Current load is 3/4to 1 moa I have 2 days to get one ready. What would you do

Easy one for me, the .300 RSAUM I've used one for years and its a great cartridge in SA lighter weight handy rifles.

Back in the day I had a muley hunt out west. My .270 was all set up but the airlines didn't get it to me when we landed. I eventually got it back but I didn't have it to hunt with. The outfitter had a loaner rifle for me, a Remington Mohawk 600 in .243 with some Hornady 100gr off the shelf ammo. I was depressed and felt woefully under gunned. to make a long story short I took two Mule bucks at over 300 yards. One shot each. It made me a believer in that little .243 bullet and that short little rifle which was a pleasure to carry up and down those hillsides. When I got home I found a Remington Model Seven in 243 and bought it and haven't looked back. The .270 is still my go to caliber/cartridge. Jack O'connor sold me on the .270 and nothing he said about it isn't true.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts