Which Caliber and why?

outofsight

i am interested in buying a new long range rig. I am looking at a Montana Rifle company, Nosler M48 or Christen Ridgeline any info on these would be helpful.

Now what Caliber
28 Nosler
30 Nosler
300 RUM
or any other good suggestions for good speed and power. and how do these rifles and calibers compare?
I would probably shoot 190 or 210 in the 30 cal
and i would use 175 in the 28 if i were to get those.
Which one to buy?

My choice would be the 30 Nosler. I had a couple of RUM's and was not thrilled about the performance based on the handful of powder being used. The Nosler will get close with a lot better barrel life. Also, brass would not last more than about 3 firings with the RUM. The 28 Nosler would also be good, but difficult to beat the 30 over all..........Rich

Wow, what a line up. Some premium kit there.

The Christensen 300 RUMs seem to shoot well. I load for one and 500 yards is a too easy for it.

That said, I am a XX-Nosler enthusiast. Well truthfully anything based on the 404 Jeffery base design WSM, Nosler, RUM others.

The Christensen is available in xx-Nosler making the choice even more difficult.

It's hard for me because I turn Weatherby Mark Vs into xx-Noslers.

If you have the budget, go Christensen in any of the chamberings you list. Someone else will have to talk about Montana or M48

I like the Montana Marksman Rifle, .30 Nosler.

If weight is a concern I'd go with the Christiansen, it's light weight and has a sub MOA accuracy guarantee. 28 Nosler just cause the rifles light.

Those Christiansen Ridgelines with the CF barrels are nice. If they offer the .28 Nosler in a 1:8 twist 26-28" barrel option... I'd go that route.

One of the places I buy alot of my guns from had one in .280 AI (Nosler/SAAMI spec chamber) that I was REALLY tempted to buy, but didn't need to spend the money at the time, so I didn't. Might still buy me one later. It would make an awesome lightweight whitetail rig for here in Alabama.

28 Nosler and shooting the 195 EOL flattest shooting ....the design has been shown to work very well on elk etc. Has great long range potential especially if you have it throated specifically for the 195. I only had a chance to shoot one a few times but I really liked it.

None of those brass will disappear again .I would get something that has easy to find brass like 338 win mag or 340 weatherby which can be made from 300 weatherby .They have lots of knock down powder and the brass is easy to.find and reasonable !

Maybe up where you live...But around these parts, finding .338 WinMag brass and .340 Wby Mag brass is about as common as hen's teeth... Seriously, at my local store, you can find Nosler 7mm STW brass just about anytime. And I'm sure now with the commonplace of the Nosler calibers, they probably have a good stock of Nosler brass for those as well...Haven't been there in a while, as I have a decent stock of components.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts