Which 300?

Its 100% not a custom. Which is why i was referring to the WSM in a short action. Not a medium or long. I never said it wasnt capable so im guessing im not who your talking about. In factory, yes factory like a CA the WM is a better choice. Why because no matter the bullet you want to shoot if the twist is there the mag length will handle it better. The wsm starts having real problems with length and heavy bullets. Maybe its just me but whether it be long range targets or game ill always go for the heavier bullets if i can.

I get that it's more semi- custom than factory. My point is a Tikka bone factory throated for the 215 will shoot pretty d$$$ good and I just about guarantee it will run with a CA 300 WM saami reamer.

What do you consider Tikka, Winchester? Both are 100 percent factory that have the mag box length to handle the 215 seated at the neck shoulder junction.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
I had a 300wm. I had it rebarreled in 7mm rem mag . Way more comfortable to shoot for me. But if your set on a 30 then go with a 300win.

Sure thing buddy. I hope OP takes all this nonsence and makes a good decision and enjoys his new rifle. Whether it be WSM or WM. Custom or factory. Hornady book or berger book loads. Cheer everybody. And for those that gave their educated opionion for the OP. Thanks. Others no thanks.

I went down this road years ago when the WSM first came out. I built a 6.5x300wsm on a Ruger tanger because mag box length. I had to work over the ramp, feed lips and follower to get it to work. With the Berger 140 O.A.L is 3.08. Why would I build or by a WSM and let mag box length hinder me when theres options now when I did it there wasnt to get the mag box length I needed.

Sure thing buddy. I hope OP takes all this nonsence and makes a good decision and enjoys his new rifle. Whether it be WSM or WM. Custom or factory. Hornady book or berger book loads. Cheer everybody.
LOL what nonsense. It's pure fact theres way better options for WSM than Rem. SA and I'm a Remington fan.Got about 8 of them

Another positive for the 300 WM is that if you lose your ammo or run out, every hardware store in elk county have 300 WM and 7 RM on the shelf.
Seen the ammo point made a couple times. To lose one's ammo I understand, kind of. Echos of "failing to prepare is preparing to fail' ring through my mind. But on how many Elk or similar medium to big game hunts have you "ran out" of ammo???
My vote, .300 WSM, no good reason, just love those short stubby cartridges...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.