Which 30 cal?

You already know what you want just go with it. The 300 prc is new and cool and the only one of the three I have not owned. I have had many 300 win mag rifles and I have been pleased with all of them. I got really excited about the 30 nosler when it was released and I built one as soon as I could. To my surprise and disappointment the accuracy node was identical to my 300 win mags. Sure it will push bullets faster but that doesn't mean you will be able to shoot good groups any faster than with a 300 win. The same holds true for the 300 prc it's too similar in case capacity to make a noticeable difference in performance. If you are wanting a good do all 30 cal pick whichever you like best because it really doesn't make any difference as far as performance goes. With that said I will probably build a 300 prc just because I think it's cool, but It will not be replacing a 300 win mag.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?
I think all of us are lucky/Blessed with HAVING THE ABILITY to choose what cal,barrel,ammo etc. I've lived in the Rocky Mts for 40+years and I will hunt til I die! If you have the means and can TAKE THE RECOIL, ALWAYS, ALWAYS choose the most powerful, and hardest hitting, accurate CAL/Rifle. If you can live with the recoil, the 30 Nosler is THE OBVIOUS CHOICE. I have never seen a Bull or a Deer of a lifetime too Dead.

I was in the same boat. I bought and sold several 300 win. Just couldn't get the heavier bullets to fly the way I wanted. Had a friend get a 30 nosler and had the same issue. Then then the 300 prc came along and a lightbulb flipped for me. I got brass from ADG and haven't regretted it one bit. It is a sweet shooter and handles the heavies at faster velocities than expected. Also, just got an email last week that they are doing another run of 300prc.
However, had I known more about the Sherman cartridges, I might have gone that route. To me it's between the Sherman and the PRC for the best of extended long range ballistics. But if you need factory ammo or if your not shooting at extreme ranges the 300 win is plenty of gun for anything on this continent.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?
I'd go with a 30 Newton but in a modern setup with 375 Ruger brass , PTG in white city can make or already has the reamer and loading dies are available . I have a 33 Newton in the works right now , its the same as a 340 Weatherby at a third the cost to shoot :cool:

Just remember, there's a reason the military chose the 300 Win Mag as the new standard sniper rifle. It has a reputation for accuracy at long range.

I have a couple buddies that shoot the 300 WSM. One took his to Africa w deadly results the other punches paper out to 1400 yds w ridiculous accuracy. Seems like it would cover most state side missions!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.