Which 30 cal?

I'm really loving 300PRC and you can find brass for it if you look around. Worst case buy Hornady factory ammo for about the same price as ADG brass and break it in with that and you've got brass to get you by until you can find ADG or Lapua.

I'm really loving 300PRC and you can find brass for it if you look around. Worst case buy Hornady factory ammo for about the same price as ADG brass and break it in with that and you've got brass to get you by until you can find ADG or Lapua.

I just picked up a 100 once fired Hornady cases from another member here ... if you put out a post, you may get some offers for some once fired ...

+1 for 300 PRC
+1 for 30 Sherman Mag (sorta like a 300 PRC "ackley" --> no offense to elkaholic)

Lots of technical reasons either of these surpass the long time "king of the 30's", the winmag ... exception in number of rifles chambered for either and factory ammo available - these will take time and only time will tell if the 300 PRC ends up catching on like the 6.5 creedmoor.

I am about to have an 8 or 9 twist barrel made and am on fence between 300 PRC and the 30 Sherman Magnum which will fire 300 PRC and fireforms it to 30 Sherman Mag ... Incidentally, I'll be spinning off a 300 winmag on my Savage for this build. I still have another (lightweight for hunting) winmag so I'm not "giving anything up" ... just gaining what I hope to be my goto 1 mile range rifle.

If you are nervous about a "wildcat" just know that Elkaholic has brass and dies and a number of members have contributed to some load data available here ...

Good luck and have fun - nothing beats building a new rifle - except seeing tiny little groups and the sound of steel at long range after it is all done!

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?
.300!PRC. I also have a .300 WM, but I like the PRC way better. Slings heavy bullets without having to modify throat/magazine/feed ramp-just a better option and no silly belt either

Slings heavy bullets without having to modify throat/magazine/feed ramp-just a better option and no silly belt either
Explain to me why you have to modify mag. Throat, feed ramp on a 300WM.
The PRC is the one you gotta have those modifications except a Rem 700 and factory ammo.
The only difference is the PRC has the freebore for the heavies in a saami reamer nothing a throater or ordering your own won't fix

Last edited:
I went with 300 WM on my latest barrel because 1) it's been proven sufficient for taking elk over and over again, 2) 3 out of the 4 hunters I hunt with run 300 WM, and 3) I can walk into most grocery stores in Colorado and get a box of it in a pinch. 2 and 3 swayed me over time. It's nice to know you can borrow or buy shells if yours are unavailable for some reason.

I've had my 30 Nosler for 5 years and it has become my go to cartridge. I haven't had any trouble finding components . It's easy to reload. Great long range cartridge

30 Nosler is quicker down the tube. 300 WM brass can be reformed from any of these calibers of brass, 264WN, 7mm Rem Mag, 338WN if getting brass ever get to be a big problem. With everybody pushing heaver bullets down the tube. You may want to increase your twist rate in that barrel at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.