Torn on which 30 cal bullets

1-9 twist

I have 199's and looked heavily at them also. They're a good option. But all Hammer does with their heavier bullets in add length to the shank to add the weight. So I strictly look at impact velocities with hammers. Because that shank is penetrating DEEP no matter what.

I'm shooting the 181 HH's great too, but going to try the 199's for the edge in BC. Also, if I remember correctly, looking at everyone's results, it seems like everyone manages to get the 199's shooting just as fast as the 181's.

I'm shooting the 181 HH's great too, but going to try the 199's for the edge in BC. Also, if I remember correctly, looking at everyone's results, it seems like everyone manages to get the 199's shooting just as fast as the 181's.
It'll definitely be worth trying both out! Especially to see how they fit comparative to the lands and inside the neck of the case! A 199 @ 3300 fps is no slouch, that's for sure. But a quick comparison shows the 181's maintaining a higher impact velocity and less drop, which is why I was leaning towards them first.

Thank you for your input! I wanted this rifle to be a true 1000+ yard killing rifle. But if I'm being realistic, I've never shot an animal over 630 in the last 3 years. At 700 yards, the hammer has 100fps faster impact velocity and 12" less drop.

I also am not biased toward either bullet. They both served their purposes extremely well for me. The Berger's never exited, but you don't need an exit necessarily when the animal never makes it more than 10 yards.
One thing everyone should consider is the impact that some (maybe all) lead bullets have on Eagles and Hawks. They are doing some excellent studies her in MT in conjunction with the MPG ranch (and probably others). They are finding that bullets that shed most of there weight shortly after impact send off small pieces of lead in all directions through the animal. The birds ingest the lead and we can also. The lead causes the birds talons to curl up so that they cannot use them and slowly starve to death. (This is the simplified explanation). I have been switching over to mono bullets for hunting and have had good luck with 127gr. Barnes LRX bullets from my 6.5 PRC. Now to find a good load for the .300 winnie!

I was in fact, completely wrong about the 199 having the same nose dimensions as the 181, but just a longer shank. The 181 has a sleeker nose design and a significantly deeper hollow point that the 199. That leans me even further to the 181. Bigger pedals shedding off and the shank still seems plenty big enough to pass through at most angles.

This is a photo with the depths of the hollow points written down. And a photo of the 181, 215, 199 & 230 all side by side.

A4B121A3-642B-4A5B-935D-14CEC3C4F041.jpeg

DB7597CA-223D-4C46-A75E-7EF100FA2D62.jpeg

Last edited: